Rescheduling?

Information about the Square Route Rally, June 5-7, 2020 at Camp West-Mar. This is where we discuss plans and volunteer to help out.

Always the first weekend, including Friday, in June. Not the same week as Memorial Day.

Rescheduling?

Postby bdimon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:44 am

We need to discuss the option of postponing the rally. I saw a chart today that estimated the deaths to peak near the end of April and fall through May. Then curving near the bottom before it ends in mid-June.

Even if we are near the bottom of the curve on June 5-7, I think people will not want to return to normalcy too soon lest the inflection rate spike again.

How long after the end of the pandemic will people feel comfortable gathering at a rally?

Should we make a decision sooner or wait until it is closer?
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: Rescheduling?

Postby RocketMan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:51 am

I'0 say sooner than later. Given that Maryland's shelter in order is open ended it could extend into June and then there could legal as well as safety issues to contend with. Plus I doubt many folks would be comfortable going to a large gathering first of summer. Culb could wind up taking a big financial hit from very low attendance. I'd be surprised if Westmar would even be willing to host a large group event in early June.
RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby bdimon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:26 pm

Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby jmb122mp » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:51 pm

I've been using the site below for projection information. It's from The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME). IHME is an independent population health research center at University of Washington Medicine, part of UW. They were initially asked to develop models by UW Medicine to help in planning their response. As other US hospital systems and state governments reached out for help in planning, they pushed out a national-level tool. Their projections have been referenced in at least one White House press briefing. They were supposed to update the projections yesterday but haven't since 04/01... don't know what's up.

You may, or may not, find the data useful. It defaults to the national projection but has a pull-down menu for individual states. Here's the link: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections.

Cheers,
Jim

'04 R1150R Rockster (Black/Orange)

"Don't Dude me". Dexter Morgan
jmb122mp

Postby eap » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:52 pm

bdimon wrote:We need to discuss the option of postponing the rally. I saw a chart today that estimated the deaths to peak near the end of April and fall through May. Then curving near the bottom before it ends in mid-June.

Even if we are near the bottom of the curve on June 5-7, I think people will not want to return to normalcy too soon lest the inflection rate spike again.

How long after the end of the pandemic will people feel comfortable gathering at a rally?

Should we make a decision sooner or wait until it is closer?

Any idea of what the good folks at the camp are thinking?
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby bdimon » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:45 am

eap wrote:Any idea of what the good folks at the camp are thinking?

No but they forgot to collect our deposit so we have not spent anything yet. I'll send an email asking what their plans are. They are obviously forbidden from hosting events today and who knows when they will be allowed to open?

Even if Gov Hogan lifts restrictions in time for Memorial Day (personally, I think that unlikely), how long before people actually feel comfortable going to a group event? 1 week? 6 weeks? 6 months? I just heard a news report on WTOP that a survey shows a lot of people will not fly for six months after the restrictions are lifted.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:47 am

With the YMCA deposit pending, we need to figure out a plan. Let's discuss.

Topic: Square Route Rally Pandemic Contingency Planning Zoom Meeting
Time: Sunday, Apr 19, 2020 08:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/79419556821?pwd=OXQyc0hVVVBsRHJ4YVpGV3pVZ1pDdz09

Meeting ID: 794 1955 6821
Password: SRRGoNoGo?
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:26 pm

The YMCA calendar shows Camp West-Mar booked solid from June through October.
https://www.ymcacampwestmar.org/group-rentals
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby Slider » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:27 pm

My input based on having in the past participate in planning & managing several rallies including the SRR is to reschedule. Perhaps the Fall should be considered.
Slider
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:27 pm

Slider wrote:My input based on having in the past participate in planning & managing several rallies including the SRR is to reschedule. Perhaps the Fall should be considered.

That is my first inclination. The question would be where? Camp West-Mar is booked solid through October.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby philspace » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:33 am

Sherando? Not as close, but the Richmond club always ran an early September rally there, which was great. I don't think they have had one since 2015 and it isn't on their calendar for this year. One interesting concept would be too hook up with Tina and Mike and see if maybe both clubs would want to hold a consolidated rally there?
Phil Space
2015 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
Springfield, VA
philspace
Board Guru

Postby RocketMan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:11 am

philspace wrote:Sherando? Not as close, but the Richmond club always ran an early September rally there, which was great. I don't think they have had one since 2015 and it isn't on their calendar for this year. One interesting concept would be too hook up with Tina and Mike and see if maybe both clubs would want to hold a consolidated rally there?

As I remember, one of the problems they had that has kept them from continuing to use Sherando was that they could no longer reserve the entire upper camping area as a single group and even then they had to get several different people to reserve individual camping sites at for the same dates. I also remember something about the group that did the meals could no longer provide the service. It was a nice site though. For any site other than West Mar it would require a whole new set of planning strategies since we would have find rental agents for seating and tarps, a new caterer and would have to be more camping oriented not having bunk houses which seems to have become more popular over the past SRR's.
One other place I can think of which is the about the same distance is Yokum Vacationland Princes Snowbird campground at Seneca Rocks. ( www.yokum.com )They do have a wooden pavilion with power, two small bunk houses, half a dozen cabins, plenty of camping though limited bathroom facilities. Not sure if they would host/reserve enough space for a large group or where you'd find a caterer and rental agency to provide enough seating/tarps for a large group plus deliver and pick up. There is also some hotel rooms, stores and several places for eating within a short walk. One other down side is that they are in the Green Bank "radio quiet" area so no cell phone service although they may have limited Wifi now.
All I can think of at the moment for alternatives.
RM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby eap » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:15 am

I vote to cancel the rally this year and be sure to get on the YMCA calendar for next year.

We can continue to do rides and informal camp outs, such as at Yokums (Seneca Rocks) are a good idea.

I for one, won't be ready to hang out at the Tiki Bar for quite a while....

The national MOA has cancelled as has the 'local' Twin Vally Rally (Sept).

Ed
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby BMWGirl » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:14 pm

RocketMan wrote:
philspace wrote:Sherando? Not as close, but the Richmond club always ran an early September rally there, which was great. I don't think they have had one since 2015 and it isn't on their calendar for this year. One interesting concept would be too hook up with Tina and Mike and see if maybe both clubs would want to hold a consolidated rally there?

As I remember, one of the problems they had that has kept them from continuing to use Sherando was that they could no longer reserve the entire upper camping area as a single group and even then they had to get several different people to reserve individual camping sites at for the same dates. I also remember something about the group that did the meals could no longer provide the service. It was a nice site though. For any site other than West Mar it would require a whole new set of planning strategies since we would have find rental agents for seating and tarps, a new caterer and would have to be more camping oriented not having bunk houses which seems to have become more popular over the past SRR's.
One other place I can think of which is the about the same distance is Yokum Vacationland Princes Snowbird campground at Seneca Rocks. ( http://www.yokum.com )They do have a wooden pavilion with power, two small bunk houses, half a dozen cabins, plenty of camping though limited bathroom facilities. Not sure if they would host/reserve enough space for a large group or where you'd find a caterer and rental agency to provide enough seating/tarps for a large group plus deliver and pick up. There is also some hotel rooms, stores and several places for eating within a short walk. One other down side is that they are in the Green Bank "radio quiet" area so no cell phone service although they may have limited Wifi now.
All I can think of at the moment for alternatives.
RM

SORRY - I know I'm late to the party... Jeff is right - there are several issues with Sherando, although I'm not sure of all of the problems. If we can't do a rally together - I hope we can at least do a "luncheon" or something sometime. It would be fun to get our 2 clubs together.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!
Tina
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby RocketMan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:27 am

With it getting close to the time we'd have to commit to the planned date and with things still up in the air as when it will be reasonably safe to have large gatherings I think we should seriously consider cancelling this years SRR.

As Eap suggested lets look at informal "sponsored" group events so let me throw out these ideas.

One:
Looking at a date in late June or early July why not put out a call for a weekend camping event, say Friday to Sunday and make it a BYOE (Bring Your Own Everything) gathering. Two places I would consider would be Yokums at Seneca Rocks (about 3.5 hours from Northern VA) or a bit further down at the Boyer Station Camp-ground near Green Bank and the Cass Scenic Railway. Both can easily accommodate 50~75 Plus riders, both have food, some lodging, groceries and beer available on site or near by within walking distance or a short ride. Yokums has cabins and bunk house as well as covered pavilion. Both would provide plenty of space so folks could spread out comfortably and both have plenty of fire pits and wood available for purchase. Maybe we could co-ordinate something with both the Richmond Riders and Twin Valley Riders.
Perhaps if we got enough interest/commitments we could set up a coffee station and offer cold breakfast items (donuts, muffins, etc) for donations. Boyer used to have a small shed with power, we'd have to check though. At Yokums we could even rent one of the larger cabins for two nights to set up coffee there, or maybe rent the bunk house which I believe has a covered area next to it and power. Both have great riding and places to visit, the idea being it would as much about the riding as the gathering. I would think by then there would be plenty of folks itching to get out and do some serious riding and gathering for tire kicking etc.
Two:
For later in the year, say mid~late August, when the temps can get pretty uncomfortable how about an overnight "Ride To Music" to the Purple Fiddle in Thomas up on the Allegheny plateau? https://purplefiddle.com/ Its generally 10~15 Deg. cooler up there and would be a nice escape from the heat. In past years The Purple Fiddle has hosted live music almost every weekend night during the summer and has three weekend shows scheduled in August so far this year. https://purplefiddle.com/full-schedule/. The owner is a former music promoter and gets a wide variety of music venues to play there. It also has a limited, but tasty, menu, a nice beer selection, indoor and outdoor seating and I've seen a hundred plus patrons show up for the shows. For accommodations, there is a Hostel right above the store with open bedding, some private rooms with shared bath, a great room with comfortable seating, pool table and complete kitchen for use by the guests. https://purplefiddle.com/about/lodging/ There is also a small guest house next door and several AirBnB rentals right in town. Thomas also has some nice little shops and several places to eat besides the Purple Fiddle. And again lots of great riding. I could post up a nice, back-roads route plan with GPX file and list of points of interest for the ride up via old Rt. 55, 42, and 93. if interested.

So there are some ideas we might want to consider to still have some gatherings without a financial commitment by the club, provide venues that would allow everyone get to see friends and kick some tires, drink copious amounts of beer and just hang out with fellow riders, which I'm sure we all are seriously missing by now.

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Next

Return to 2020 Square Route Rally