R18 Reveal

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

R18 Reveal

Postby jcabiles » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:16 pm

Love the new R18. I need to make room in my garage!

https://www.facebook.com/262447113466/p ... 553348467/
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Re: R18 Reveal

Postby bdimon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:24 am

It's beautiful and less than I expected. The BMW website updated the configuration tool and there are a ton of options for this cruiser. https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/heritage/r18.html

I am not a cruiser guy and I have my eye on the F900XR for $13,590 configured the way I want it.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:24 pm

I'm not a fan. I really hate the base exhaust.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby bdimon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:26 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:I'm not a fan. I really hate the base exhaust.

The website configurator lets you choose the exhaust. I guess they are planning on doing a lot of custom orders for this bike.

The website's build-your-own lets you spin the image, add something new, and then the spinning picture updates. Pretty cool.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby philspace » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:48 am

I couldn't find any exhaust option in the configurator, only the chrome package. Agree, the exhaust is fugly.
Phil Space
2015 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
Springfield, VA
philspace
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:42 pm

philspace wrote:I couldn't find any exhaust option in the configurator, only the chrome package. Agree, the exhaust is fugly.

The exhaust options are on the Accessories page of the configurator. The choices depend upon the package you picked in the Packages page.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby philspace » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 pm

bdimon wrote:
philspace wrote:I couldn't find any exhaust option in the configurator, only the chrome package. Agree, the exhaust is fugly.

The exhaust options are on the Accessories page of the configurator. The choices depend upon the package you picked in the Packages page.

Thanks, found it, the other exhaust looks better, but still. We bought a CLC thinking my wife would like the cruiser format, one year later she was back on an RT. Just can’t get enthused about this one.
Phil Space
2015 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
Springfield, VA
philspace
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:37 am

philspace wrote:Just can’t get enthused about this one.

It does not thrill me either because cruisers just don't excite me. However, this is not for us but to attract riders of other brands. A few years ago a Harley rider told me that he always liked the looks of the BMW cruisers and why don't they make them anymore? I responded that they stopped making them because
he didn't buy one.

I think this R18 has a better chance of appealing the big wheel and ape hanger crowd. I configured an R18 with a 21-inch front wheel and ape hangers and thought it was ugly as sin. Just as ugly as a Harley with a 21-inch front wheel and ape hangers. However, there are riders who love that stuff. This time BMW offers a wide range of customization and the resulting price is less than I expected and no more than an equivalent H-D.

I wish the motorrad company well. Their timing is not good as the cruiser market is shrinking, I think. This will be a hard market to break into.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:44 pm

Finally got to see one and sit on it, no time for a ride.

First thought, it is fat and low. Definitely a cruiser bike. It does have very nice fit and finish. The chrome looks well done and shines. Let's hope it is better quality than the R1200C was. Visually it is VERY wide, and long, with a low slung typical cruiser look. Not bad, if that is your thing.

Here are a few photos. Not that the bike was pretty dusty, so the flash made it look worse than it was.

I am 5'7" with a 28" inseam. Plus I am fat, mostly in the stomach. I actually could sit with my knees bent and flat footed. It has been a long time since I have done that.
You can see that on the right side, with the cylinder further back considerably, my shin hits the intake. Also my knees are pretty high, probably uncomfortably so on a long ride.

The bike is so big that it nearly completely hides my girth.:eekers

That is one advantage, I guess.

Anyhow, now that I have seen it in person, I still am not enamored with it. It is nicely made, but lacks the utility of a similarly priced GS or RT.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby bdimon » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:57 pm

I think it's gorgeous but I'm not a cruiser guy. I wonder if the Harley guys will like it. It presses a lot of their buttons.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby Slider » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:34 pm

R-18, gag! If I wanted bike that ugly I'd buy an Indian, Harley, Victory.....Just saying!
Slider
Board Guru

Postby RocketMan » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:16 am

I saw 2 this Sunday at bikes & b-fest, I was struck by the very vintage tear drop shaped tank, bur other than that nothing that appeals to me. There was also one of the new K900 kaws in the retro 1974 green and yellow paint schemes just like 74 I once owned, but once up close its markedly different than its predecessor, but much more appealing than R1800, for me anyway. The sweetest bike there had to have been the Itian mid 70's Lavarda 750, looked showroom new, Sweet!
RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby phil.ager » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:06 pm

So Mr Breezy-Butt, You always have a camera or two over your shoulder. Where'a the pictures of the Kawa and/or Laverda?

Just back from California - the weather was great the whole way. Ciao! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
phil.ager

Return to General Chat