Be Safe and I’ll See You On The Road Post Pandemic

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Be Safe and I’ll See You On The Road Post Pandemic

Postby jcabiles » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:45 am

Day one of Virginia’s mandatory Stay At Home order. Luckily I was able to join the Covered Bridge Ride in MD on Sunday with the MARRMA.

Be safe and hope to see you on the road post pandemic.

In the mean time, enjoy this video of Chiba (Wes Fleming) Riding the Virginia countryside.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=851m2z9qGQA
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Re: Be Safe and I’ll See You On The Road Post Pandemic

Postby HMF » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:12 pm

jcabiles wrote:Day one of Virginia’s mandatory Stay At Home order. Luckily I was able to join the Covered Bridge Ride in MD on Sunday with the MARRMA.

In the mean time, enjoy this video of Chiba (Wes Fleming) Riding the Virginia countryside.

Let me begin by saying that I totally appreciate your law-abiding position and desire to protect yourself and others from harm. I haven't worked in weeks, do my utmost to maintain a safe distance from others at all times and try to avoid all frequently utilized spaces, even if there aren't too many people around.

That said, these new "Stay at Home" laws/rules are so irregularly applied as to have me baffled. How are liquor stores "essential" businesses and why is it ok to walk or drive to local restaurant for a take-out meal or drink, but not to stuff your head in a helmet and drive to a cafe 50 miles away and do the same thing?

Stay well ...
HMF

Postby phil.ager » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:11 pm

FWIW, things are proceeding civilly down here in Huntsville. We can't meet-up anymore with many of our M/C chums, but P&K still go about our business keeping the suggested 6' separation in businesses. We went to the commissary today, and they had feet pictures pasted to the floor at the checkout stands separated by ~6'. But then, when you're paying your bill, you're still 3' from the cashier on either side of U! You just go with the flow I guess. Now they've got sneeze screens (a la salad bars) at the Lowes check-out... Tis getting Weird out there.

Meanwhile, P&K are constructing our Superior She Shed out back. Unlike JVB's, our's is beyond our garage on a 10x10 existing concrete pad. Rain has delayed further progress for two days; Sunny tomorrow!

Here's a view looking east with entryway for motorcycles shown:

The other side, with stairs headed up to Karen's Loft.

Take Good Care, Y'all! Cheers, P & K
phil.ager

Postby RocketMan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:15 am

HMF wrote:
jcabiles wrote:Day one of Virginia’s mandatory Stay At Home order. Luckily I was able to join the Covered Bridge Ride in MD on Sunday with the MARRMA.

Let me begin by saying that I totally appreciate your law-abiding position and desire to protect yourself and others from harm. I haven't worked in weeks, do my utmost to maintain a safe distance from others at all times and try to avoid all frequently utilized spaces, even if there aren't too many people around.

That said, these new "Stay at Home" laws/rules are so irregularly applied as to have me baffled. How are liquor stores "essential" businesses and why is it ok to walk or drive to local restaurant for a take-out meal or drink, but not to stuff your head in a helmet and drive to a cafe 50 miles away and do the same thing?

Stay well ...

For what it's worth, from today's wash post "In all three jurisdictions, roadways will remain open. People are still allowed to drive from one place to another, and may drive to relax".so I'd say you can still go riding, I know I will continue to take rides, at least solo, which is what I usually have been doing since it's mostly a spur of the moment event for me these days. I'll just start packing snacks and drinks from home rather than eating out along the way.
RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby jcabiles » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:36 am

In light of the Governor’s Stay At Home Order, the Presidents Ride 1 (18 April) will be held as planned. The order states the following is allowed “ e. Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements.”

The ride will be capped at 10 participants and will be broken up into two groups as needed to facilitate management.

However, this may change depending on future developments, but for now we will ride as planned but exercise approprite precautions.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:39 pm

Keep in mind that you absolutely can go for a ride/drive. It is specifically stated.

Just don't ride like an idiot and get hurt.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby eap » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 pm

jcabiles wrote:In light of the Governor’s Stay At Home Order, the Presidents Ride 1 (18 April) will be held as planned. The order states the following is allowed “ e. Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements.”

The ride will be capped at 10 participants and will be broken up into two groups as needed to facilitate management.

However, this may change depending on future developments, but for now we will ride as planned but exercise approprite precautions.

Doubt if I will make it but recommend bringing sandwiches and drinks.

Enjoy and ride safe

Ed
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby philspace » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:49 pm

eap wrote:
jcabiles wrote:In light of the Governor’s Stay At Home Order, the Presidents Ride 1 (18 April) will be held as planned. The order states the following is allowed “ e. Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements.”

Enjoy and ride safe

Ed

My only concern is safety and ending up in the hospital. I have been out riding, and I did bring my own sammich and water and stayed out in the sticks for a secluded lunch/pit stop, but completely agree, don’t ride like an idiot, I wouldn’t want to end up in the ER and I know they don’t want to see us right now.
Phil Space
2015 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
Springfield, VA
philspace
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:19 pm

philspace wrote:
eap wrote:

Enjoy and ride safe

Ed

My only concern is safety and ending up in the hospital. I have been out riding, and I did bring my own sammich and water and stayed out in the sticks for a secluded lunch/pit stop, but completely agree, don’t ride like an idiot, I wouldn’t want to end up in the ER and I know they don’t want to see us right now.

When is the last time you ended up in a hospital? I am more likely to break a leg tripping down the stairs. On top of that, VA hospitals are practically empty right now.
JimVonBaden

Postby philspace » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:47 am

Jim, you never cease to amaze. I guess you missed the part about not riding like an idiot...

I did see one young squid doing just that when I was out as he worked to, not so artfully, pop a wheelie while cutting over to 234 from the PW Pkwy.
Phil Space
2015 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
Springfield, VA
philspace
Board Guru

Postby mlytle » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:49 pm

before just looking for loopholes in a stay at home order, suggest taking a rational look at the risk profile of riding right now. not just your risk profile, but that of the health care workers who may have to take care of you. hospitals may be ok now, but that may not apply in a week or two. you may be still in the hospital then after the truck broadsides you at an intersection. watch these two videos. make your call, but rationally consider what he is saying.

my kickstands are down for the duration...

https://youtu.be/FvLNzElW4A0

https://youtu.be/Z1ycd011AIs
Marshall
92 K75s
94 K75s
09 K1300s
mlytle
Frequent Poster

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:41 pm

philspace wrote:Jim, you never cease to amaze. I guess you missed the part about not riding like an idiot...

I did see one young squid doing just that when I was out as he worked to, not so artfully, pop a wheelie while cutting over to 234 from the PW Pkwy.

I wasn't talking about squids, just you. But hey, whatever.
JimVonBaden

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:44 pm

mlytle wrote:before just looking for loopholes in a stay at home order, suggest taking a rational look at the risk profile of riding right now. not just your risk profile, but that of the health care workers who may have to take care of you. hospitals may be ok now, but that may not apply in a week or two. you may be still in the hospital then after the truck broadsides you at an intersection. watch these two videos. make your call, but rationally consider what he is saying.

my kickstands are down for the duration...

https://youtu.be/FvLNzElW4A0

https://youtu.be/Z1ycd011AIs

Sorry, I do not think my risk has increased. To the contrary, it is lower now than ever. I ride less, there is way less traffic, and hospitals now are more empty than usual.

Oh, and not a loophole, just what is. There is a reason parks are still open and busy. People need to get out. A nice serene ride on a deserted road is not any more dangerous today than it was weeks ago. If the hospital situation changes, I will reevaluate.

If you disagree, feel free not to ride.
JimVonBaden

Postby bdimon » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:25 am

mlytle wrote:before just looking for loopholes in a stay at home order, suggest taking a rational look at the risk profile of riding right now. not just your risk profile, but that of the health care workers who may have to take care of you. hospitals may be ok now, but that may not apply in a week or two.

I see your point but disagree. The most dangerous riding I do, commuting to work, is suspended. I still ride to the store albeit less frequently then usual. Riding through the country on the weekend maintains social distancing and is the safest kind of riding I do because of reduced traffic and intersections compared to commuting.
There is a risk to everything from driving a car to doing chores around the house. You might think that I took too much risk climbing a step ladder to clean my gutter last Sunday. I think the risk was reasonable.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby mlytle » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Ahhhh...most parks are CLOSED to keep people from congregating. they are not "open so people can get out".

i get the feeling from the last two replies that y'all didn't watch the videos. you are still focused on justifying your perceived personal risk. no acknowledgment of the bigger consequence picture.

as i said before...make your own call. but at least make it with an open, informed mind. not with blinders on looking for justification that it is ok to ride in this situation.
Marshall
92 K75s
94 K75s
09 K1300s
mlytle
Frequent Poster

Next

Return to General Chat