Battery seems dead but third time's the charm

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Battery seems dead but third time's the charm

Postby bdimon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:33 pm

I got a new battery and then a weird thing happened to my 2005 R1200RT.

I turn the ignition key on and there's a flicker of light on the dash before it goes dark. I push the starter button and get a weak "whuh-uh" before silence. Seems like the new battery is weak.

I turn the key on and off. Same thing. I repeat again but same.

The third or fourth time, the dash lights up brightly and the system goes through the self-check. When it's done, I push the button and the starter roars the engine to life. I ride off without any further issues.

I checked the battery terminal connections and they are tight. This has happened on several occasions.

The new battery is a Yuasa YTX20L-BS and the guy at the Not a BMW dealer said it was the correct battery.
https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/ytx20l-bs/

So I look it up and it is not what Yuasa recommends for the 2005 R1200RT. Yuasa recommends the YT19BL-BS. Here is how they compare:

Recommended What I Got
Model YT19BL-BS YTX20L-BS
CCA 170 270
Amps 1.8 1.8
Capacity 17.7 18
Acid Volume 0.95 0.93

From the numbers, I would say that the battery I got should be better than the recommended battery. Is there something other then these numbers that would make the battery I got wrong?

I put a tester gizmo on the battery and it measured 235 CCA and good voltage at the battery. After starting and revving the engine, the alternator test passed. I think it was 14.1 V.

Could this be some electrical glitch in the ignition switch and the timing is just a coincidence? What should I test next?
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: Battery seems dead but third time's the charm

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:51 pm

That is not the battery. It sounds like a bad ignition switch. Pretty easy to swap out.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby bdimon » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:36 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:That is not the battery. It sounds like a bad ignition switch. Pretty easy to swap out.

I'm glad to hear it is easy. I hope it will not be too expensive. I guess it means a new ignition key and then re-keying the panniers and the trunk.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:34 pm

More fun on the way home today. The speedometer, odometer, and cruise control did not work. After I pulled off the highway, I turned the key off, waited for the lights to go out, turned it back on, and waited for the self-test to finish before starting it up again. It all works again.

Hooked up the GS-911 and looked for the faults.

BMS-K
10220 CAN-bus Timeout: no communication with ABS control unit
The fault is not present now.
10444 Fuse activated for component Ignition Supply (starter relay, Immo (EWS) ring antenna, ignition coils, injectors)
10218 CAN-bus Timeout: no communication with KOMBI (Instrument Cluster) control unit
10219 CAN-bus Timeout: no communication with ZFE (Central Vehicle Electronics) control unit

Integral ABS - CAN omitting the codes about the disconnected ABS
25153 Internal control module error - Communication timeout between main and control processors
25156 CAN-bus timeout from KOMBI (coding data over CAN-bus)

My best guess
The ignition switch is bad just as Jim surmised. That threw the "Fuse Activated" event and caused the other faults. Those faults shut down the speedometer and odometer.
:oops:
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby dcgsrider » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:13 am

Yeah, mine had similar symptoms, but only at start up. Sometimes would have to cycle the key a dozen times before it would start.

Swapping out the switch was no big deal. Just a couple of torx screws to undo (nothing exotic like "security" head screws.) It's mounted at the bottom of ignition lock assembly and doesn't affect the keyed bits.

Part lists for $128.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHhxrohxrt8
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:23 pm

dcgsrider wrote:Yeah, mine had similar symptoms, but only at start up. Sometimes would have to cycle the key a dozen times before it would start.

Swapping out the switch was no big deal. Just a couple of torx screws to undo (nothing exotic like "security" head screws.) It's mounted at the bottom of ignition lock assembly and doesn't affect the keyed bits.

Part lists for $128.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHhxrohxrt8

Paul is correct.

JimVonBaden

Postby bdimon » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:09 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:That is not the battery. It sounds like a bad ignition switch. Pretty easy to swap out.

Jim, you were right. A new ignition switch solved the problem and it was easy to swap out.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 am

bdimon wrote:

Jim, you were right. A new ignition switch solved the problem and it was easy to swap out.

:D
JimVonBaden

Return to Tech