GearBest Helmet Bluetooth unit.

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

GearBest Helmet Bluetooth unit.

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:30 pm

I got this for my wife's helmet so we can talk and listen to music while we ride. at just $40 it was very inexpensive, so I didn't really expect much.

Here is where you can see the full specs: http://www.gearbest.com/motorcycle-parts/pp_264928.html

It came simply wrapped but all there and no damage. Here it is in the plastic tray it came in:

There are to options for mounting. You can use the clip that is very robust, to clamp it to your helmet:
It came with the Allen wrench to tighten it on. I think it would hold fine as the unit is very light.

However, I wasn't able to use the clip because the helmet liner is glued to the shell:

So, instead, I used the tape on adapter. It comes with 3M tape alread fit, and cleanly cut:

I located it as close to the shield opening as possible, without interfering with the operation of it, as well as the flip mechanism and chin bar.

Make sure you clean the area with alcohol so it will properly stick, then press it on and hold it for about a minute.

Once it is in place, snap the unit onto the base plate. It is not a super positive snap, but it seems to stay in place well enough.

Next you need to install the speakers. You can use the already attached velcro to the liner of the helmet, if your liner is amenable, or peel back the ear pieces and use the two sided tape to attach a velcro pad and then stick the speaker to it. Make sure you place the speaker in the hollow usually designed into the helmet for your ears.

Make sure you start with the speaker next to the microphone, because you need to attach the microphone next to it, and both on the side of the unit, usually on the left side of the helmet.

Replace the ear foam after tucking in the connectors. Plug the main harness connector into the unit. It is rubber fit, so should be reasonably water resistant.

Feed the wire under the rear neck piece and install the other speaker on the right ear hole. There is plenty of wire to reach.

The only drawback to the wiring is that the connectors to the headset are a bit bulky and may present an issue on some helmets for stowing under the foam.

Once done, it looks good, and is as compact as the high dollar units:

Using the unit is fairly intuitive if you have used bluetooth units before. The buttons are large and easy to find.

I linked it to my helmet and tested it with my wife 30 feet away, and it was clear. I used my phone for music and both my wife and I could hear it after pairing. The unit controls the music on my phone perfectly. It will pair with two things at once if you have the D6, so I paired with my headset and the phone for music. Worked well for both, with voice over music if you pair the helmets first.

Here are the functions:
D2 Functions:
1. Intercom:
1) Support 500 meters maximum range full duplex intercom between two Bluetooth headsets
2) With DPS wind noise suppression to ensure the crystal clear voice quality when speeding along the highway
3) Independent intercom volume control and memory
4) Voice volume adjusting automatically according to the motorcycle speed and ambient noise

2. Telecom Phone Calls Handling:
1) Bluetooth Headset, Hands Free, automatically switch seamlessly among Bluetooth mobile phone, intercom and stereo sources
2) Support voice dialing
3) Support last number redial
4) Call answer, reject and hang up functions supported
5) Hands-free volume control
6) Mobile phone highest priority
7) Support 500m range full duplex intercom
8) With DSP wind noise suppression to ensure the crystal clear voice quality when speeding along the highway
9) Intercom states prompts
10) Independent intercom volume control
11) Voice volume adjusting automatically according to the motorcycle speed and ambient noise

3. Stereo Music
1) Support the A2DP
2) Sharing the music from the mobile phone or other music sources with A2DP
3) Support music play, pause, playback and forward control with AVRCP
4) Independent stereo volume control and memory

4. GPS:
1) Supports connecting with the GPS navigation
2) Sharing the audio from GPS Navigation
3) Independent volume control

5. FM:
1) Frequency cover: 76-108MHz
2) FM audio station auto searching function
3) FM audio station memorize function
4) Independent FM volume control
5) FM audio can save Max and stations

I have only tested it in the house, but I will report back when we go for a ride this weekend.

So far, for $40, it seems a good unit. Time will tell how it holds up. I think it will be a good unit for my wife as she only rides occasionally with me.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Re: GearBest Helmet Bluetooth unit.

Postby Linda Mooney » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:17 am

Jim,
How has this unit held up in use over the road? I'm interested in your thoughts...since the price point seems ideal!
Workhorse...K1100RS w/EML SC "Eyore" and,
Weekend...R1200GS
Linda Mooney

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:24 pm

So far so good. The only issue is the slide clip needs to be tweaked, But it takes 2 seconds when installing it.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden

Postby R4R&R » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Jim,
What kind of communicator do you have? Is there any standard between the brands for paring them? I had a Scala G4, which fell off somewhere out there, and my son has a G9. I wasn't thrilled with the G4/G9 operation, and was looking at the Sena which supposedly can pair with the Scala communicators. I'm curious to hear how consistent the pairing is with a "different" brand?
'17 Triumph Explorer 1200
'04 R1150R (gone but not forgotten)
('13 Triumph Speed Triple - sons bike)
Itchin' for a ride
R4R&R
GO COWBOYS!

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:28 am

R4R&R wrote:Jim,
What kind of communicator do you have? Is there any standard between the brands for paring them? I had a Scala G4, which fell off somewhere out there, and my son has a G9. I wasn't thrilled with the G4/G9 operation, and was looking at the Sena which supposedly can pair with the Scala communicators. I'm curious to hear how consistent the pairing is with a "different" brand?

It is just straight bluetooth protocols. It pairs fine with my Bilt BT helmet and my BMW Garmin Nav V.
JimVonBaden

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:28 am

In the long run, crap!
JimVonBaden

Return to Reviews