Shoei Neotec

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Shoei Neotec

Postby AX21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Has anyone tried the new Shoei Neotec helmet? It's time for me to replace my Schuberth Concept. I had hoped to go with the C3 but alas it has a very different fit. That or my head has a totally different shape. I saw some old postings on AVRIDER but nobody had any personal experience with them yet. Hopefully Mortons will carry them.

Jim
2007 R1200GS
2003 KLR650
2001 K1200RS (Sold)
AX21

Re: Shoei Neotec

Postby Aether » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:38 am

I pre-ordered one from RevZilla as my old Multitech was getting a bit "long in the the tooth". My Multitech was the old mustard yellow in a large. Was surprised to find that the Neotec fit larger and that this was a different shade of yellow. I returned it for a Medium in silver and it fit great. First thing I noticed was the definite increase in airflow from the top vent. The flip down sun shade feature is nice - good coverage that goes down far enough - unlike some of the Nolan's I've tried where the bottom of the shade is right in my line of sight. The (now removable) liner is also a bit more extensive at the bottom, which also leads to the helmet being quieter than the Multitech.

I took a six hour ride with it on Friday - temp showing up as high as 88 on the RT's gauge at one point out in WV and I never felt uncomfortable, so consider me satisfied. Of course your mileage (and head shape) may vary....

-A
-Adam

2014 Triumph Street Triple R (3 Cylinder LandJet)
1976 BMW R75/6 (2 cylinder/2 wheel fun)
1966 BMW R60/2 - R75 Conversion w/ Sidecar (2 cylinder/3 wheel fun)
Aether
Board Guru

Postby BMWGirl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:02 am

I'm pretty sure I saw Karen Ager looking at the new Shoei at Mortons. It looks like a nice helmet! I'm thrilled that they put in the inside visor!!! That really makes it a great competitor against the Schuberth!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby radon222 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:18 am

My Multitec is still no where near ready for replacement, but I'm watching the Neo closely for when it is time. I did try one on at the IMS show in DC and do like that the internal flip down shade doesn't end at my line of sight.

The only negative thing I've read (I can't remember which forum now) was that in cooler weather some guys had significant fogging issues. Much like a discussion on here recently about the Shuberth.
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby Aether » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:42 am

radon222 wrote:The only negative thing I've read (I can't remember which forum now) was that in cooler weather some guys had significant fogging issues. Much like a discussion on here recently about the Shuberth.

It was cold for my first few rides with it. I did have to open the shield at stop lights, but I'm used to that. It's no worse than the Multitech - or any other FF helmets I have owned. I will also add that I have not installed the included breath guard or the pinlock shield, so they may actually make it somewhat better.
-Adam

2014 Triumph Street Triple R (3 Cylinder LandJet)
1976 BMW R75/6 (2 cylinder/2 wheel fun)
1966 BMW R60/2 - R75 Conversion w/ Sidecar (2 cylinder/3 wheel fun)
Aether
Board Guru

Postby BMWGirl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:59 am

radon222 wrote:My Multitec is still no where near ready for replacement, but I'm watching the Neo closely for when it is time. I did try one on at the IMS show in DC and do like that the internal flip down shade doesn't end at my line of sight.

The only negative thing I've read (I can't remember which forum now) was that in cooler weather some guys had significant fogging issues. Much like a discussion on here recently about the Shuberth.

I don't believe the Schuberth fogs up - I think the issue that was discussed on here was due to "operator" error. I think the issue has been fixed. I would not like a helmet that fogged up all the time.
BECAUSE I CAN!!!

'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby radon222 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 am

Aether,

Thanks for the confirm that any fogging...is just normal, standard helmet stuff. My Multitec (and my glasses inside the helmet) tend to fog up when stopped at lights as well. Thankfully the detents on the face sheild are really good at holding it open a crack until I things clear up once I start moving again. :)
'14 GSAW <--mine
radon222
Board Guru

Postby ASLRider » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:35 am

radon222 wrote:Aether,

Thanks for the confirm that any fogging...is just normal, standard helmet stuff. My Multitec (and my glasses inside the helmet) tend to fog up when stopped at lights as well. Thankfully the detents on the face sheild are really good at holding it open a crack until I things clear up once I start moving again. :)

I can't help with the faceshield, but I recently got OptiFog lenses in my glasses after a frustrating winter of constantly fogging. Treat them once a week with a drop of this special solution and they are fog-proof. It actually factually works. If you are getting new lenses sometime, ask your optician about getting OptiFog. http://www.optifog.com/EN/Pages/default.aspx
-G
http://www.gerardwilliams.net
1994 R1100RS "Erni" (thanks Karl!)

"Winter is coming"
ASLRider

Postby Chiba » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:05 am

The antifog coating on my 'scrip sunglasses is continuing to work well - I wonder if it's got that OptiFog coating, as I have to put a drop of fluid on it about once a week to keep the antifog working at peak.

The Pinlock insert I've got on my faceshields has been working great with both my RF1100 & Multitec, it's really great technology but you have to be careful cleaning it or it scratches.

I may be the last person around that doesn't like the internal sun visor. I mean, I *like* it, but I prefer a dark shield as the outer layer, as I find it helps keep my face cooler in the summer. The internal visor does a great job at shielding my eyes, but with a clear visor as the outer layer, the sun is just beating down straight through to my face & I find that uncomfortable.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby radon222 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:26 am

Wes,

I usually do ride with a smoke shield on my Multi...but once the sun goes down, it can get pretty dark. While not difficult, constantly switching between the dark and clear can become a bit tiresome.

One of the little plastic screws that hold face cover base on my Multi- broke and I had to order a replacement kit. Unfortunately the shipping was twice as much as kit itself...so I looked around for something else to pad my order and make the shipping charges easier to take. I found on the Shoei website a "Half-Tint" face shield that I hadn't seen before and added to my order. So far I'm liking it pretty well for compromise between sun glare during commuting hours, as well as still being able to see after sunset. The jury is still out on cooling until we get full summer heat.

Which could be any day now with the weather we've been having :shock:
'14 GSAW <--mine
radon222
Board Guru

Postby AX21 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:02 am

Thanks all for the input. I will take a spin down to Mortons on Saturday and check it out.
AX21

Postby BMWGirl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:37 pm

I agree with Ed, constantly switching out face shields is a pain. Especially if you are traveling long consecutive days. I like that my helmet doesn't fog up especially if it's raining, I don't want to crack the shield open and have the rain come in.

I used to have a Shoei full face and I really liked it, I kept hoping they would put that inside visor in them some day.
BECAUSE I CAN!!!

'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby AX21 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Being the be-speckled rider that I am, I love the flip down sunshade that came with my Concept. I will not buy another helmet without the sun shade.
AX21

Postby Chiba » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:59 am

I agree that changing shields isn't ideal, but ... even if you ride for 24 consecutive hours, that's 2 swaps - one when the sun comes up, one when it goes down :D
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Return to Reviews