Warm Weather Gear Guide

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Warm Weather Gear Guide

Postby ASLRider » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:17 am

As the weather gets warmer (especially with the 70-80 degree days last week!) I am looking towards transitioning to summer/warm weather gear. I am have been ATGATT all winter, but last summer when I had just started riding (and before my BMW) I rode with everything except protective pants (something I plan to rectify this summer).

So I will outline the gear that I currently have for warm weather with its pros and cons, and ask for suggestions where I'm looking for them. If you have a setup that works well for you, please post your favorite warm weather gear too!

Helmet
Scorpion EXO-900 modular helmet (White) http://www.scorpionusa.com/media/videos/exo-900.html

Pros: Price is good, at $269 from RevZilla. Venting is pretty good, with top of head and back of head chimney vents and a chin vent that are all easy to operate with gloves on. Good airflow overall (which is a con during the winter). Easy operation of the flip-up mechanism with a gloved hand. Flip down sunshade is a great touch!

Cons: Detaching and reattaching the entire chinbar assembly takes some getting used to. Not an operation I would want to be doing while someone is holding a stopwatch. That being said, I don't really use it as a 3/4 helmet- the modular-ness is great when I'm stopped in traffic and need some air, and makes putting it on with my glasses super easy. I like having a chin.

Gloves
AGV Sport Veloce Gloves (White) http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-veloce-short-gloves

Pros: Price is good at $54 from RevZilla. Perforated leather gives great airflow in the summer, and the shortness of the glove gets you a little airflow up your forearm too if you want. Even though it is a lighter glove, the carbon fiber knuckles and reinforced leather on the pink and palm feels like good protection.

Cons: When these get wet, they really get wet (because of the perforations). Prepare for soggy city. The seams inside can rub a little bit, and the fit on the pinky finger isn't ideal (I don't think my pinky is too short, but it doesn't reach the end of the glove).

Pants
Suggestions needed! I have some RevIt overpants that have a zip out waterproof insulated liner which leaves a mesh pant with armor, but I can't find out what the model is. I purchased them because I was riding down to bike week in ocean city last year and didn't want to be totally soaked (for those who remember, it rained almost all week). That being said, I don't think that black mesh pants, however perforated, are going to be super cool in the summer. And without the internal liner, these are mostly too big for me. I need something that I can wear over dress pants, then toss in my sidecase when I get to work.

Jacket
Suggestions needed! The jacket below was the first piece of gear I bought, basically, and I went totally for price, not for features or quality. It is fine- but suggestions for other, more technical, safer, or cooler (temperature wise) are welcome.

Scorpion Ventech Jacket (White? Silver?) http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-ventech-jacket

Pros: Great airflow when you take out the interior "AirGuard" liner. Back, shoulder, and elbow armor.

Cons: "AirGuard" liner really doesn't do anything. Not waterproof, and doesn't really ward off a chill if the temperature drops a few degrees. The way the armor fits inside the jacket isn't great- often I found it shifting and poking me in a weird or uncomfortable way. Looks leave a lot to be desired.

Boots
Suggestions needed! Right now my "summer boots" are a pair of casual Harley Davidsons I got when I first started riding. They have approximately zero protection value and are basically a lifestlye boot that cover the ankle but are not rigid in any way. I want to look for something with more protection. I also have some Sidi Rain waterproof boots, but I get the feeling that these will be super hot in the summer. Ideas?
-G
http://www.gerardwilliams.net
1994 R1100RS "Erni" (thanks Karl!)

"Winter is coming"
ASLRider

Re: Warm Weather Gear Guide

Postby RJP3579 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:36 pm

I use an Olympia Airglide jacket for the warmer weather. Has some mesh and some solid. Not a leather jacket but very comfy in summer. It does come with a zip out liner for cooler weather that is also waterproof. Has all the armor as well. I have been very happy with these. I also use a heavier Olympia in winter.
For summer pants I have the BMW summer pants (first edition). Bought them used from JVB (Thanks, Jim!!). Not an overpant but very comfy in warm weather. The bottom of the legs zip off to convert to shorts if you wish. Also comes with armor (except for the first model where they were an option). I threw them on last night for my commute to work and boy could I feel the breeze..... I love them.
For boots I have the BMW Santiago boots. Wear them all year long and love them.
As always, YMMV.
Rick :rider:
RJP3579
Are you not entertained?

Postby eap » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:43 pm

ASLRider wrote: Ideas?
Don't ride in July

Seriously, I have a variety of mis-matched gear, you seem to be on the right track.... See you on the road!
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby shelion » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:06 pm

eap wrote:Don't ride in July

+1

I have an Olympia mesh jacket and First Gear mesh overpants, both black. For boots, I have a pair of Oxtars that I got a few months ago and they are my riding boots year round.
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake him off.

2010 F650GS
shelion
Fire Goddess

Postby eap » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:20 pm

eap
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby BMWGirl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:34 am

I have a little different opinion with mesh gear but like everyone else says - ymmv.

I did a trip last year 2,000 miles in 48 hours over the 4th of July weekend and it was so incredibly hot! I wore an Olympia Air Glide mesh jacket and it was awful!! I think around town and commuting this jacket would be fine but I learned the very hard way that this is definitely not the right jacket for long trips. I now wear my First Gear Kilmanjaro jacket. It keeps the hot air out and the cool air between your body and the jacket - IN. I also think it's incredibly important to watch what you wear UNDER your gear. Again - in town - whatever you want - long distance, I would highly recommend LD Comfort items! They are GREAT! In my opinion - combining what you wear under your gear is just as important as the gear itself.

As for pants - I have the BMW Comfort Shell pants - these are my travel pants year round. They are great for trips because like the FG Jacket - the pants are waterproof so I don't have to worry about pulling over to put on rain gear. They breathe in the summer and are warm in the winter. For in town errands - I might wear the Olympia pants. For 80% of the time, I wear the Comfort shell pants and the First Gear Jacket, I like the idea of 1 pair of pants and 1 jacket that I CAN wear year round. I have a million gloves and about 3 pairs of boots but typically only one jacket and one pair of pants.

That's my .02

Good luck with your search!

ps - like your avatar and your ASL - I have a dear friend that was in the club but she and her husband moved to St. Louis area - she did the ASL too. Pretty cool job.
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Chiba » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:57 am

I read a very scientific-sounding article once ... I've been searching for it but haven't found it yet in my magazine collection ... that talked about hot weather gear.

The author's point was that mesh gear is great for hot weather up to your body temperature; if the ambient temps are above 98 degrees, then you're better off not wearing mesh gear. IIRC his reasoning was that if the air temp is 95, then mesh gear allows air cooler than your body's 98 to flow over your skin, taking away sweat & you feel cooler. However, when the air temp gets above your body temp, then the air flow is NOT cooler than your body, and therefore it's better to have solid gear as (like Tina said) an insulator to keep the air that's hotter than your body away from your body.

Did that make sense? I'll find the article sooner or later.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby ERC Scott » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:24 am

Great suggestion :D I looked at the jacket section of the site; a good place to get started on candidates. I think I've seen most of the jackets featured in the Revzilla video in our local dealerships. Nothing like a personal fitting and technical advice from the dealerships; I've bought gear at all 3 and had excellent help. Some things I personally would look for in a suit is well fitting body armor, pant to jacket connecting zipper, cordura or leather on asphalt contact/sliding points. I have had good luck with RevIt, BMW & Marsee riding suits. There are many others; see which fit you, your bike and your riding style. Happy shopping. Scott

Oh yeah -- stop by REI or the like and buy one of the aluminum "canteens". Hydration is key.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Luna » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

I wear mesh gear and let me tell you - I about died coming back from the MOA rally in PA last year!!!! I had bought the LDComfort shorts, tank, and sleeves at the rally, but even though I doused myself with water frequently, I was still uncomfortable to the point of barely being able to ride. I haven't tried the wet LDComfort base under solid outer gear yet (don't have a solid jacket) but it seems to make sense in theory. So I would have to agree with Tina - mesh for temps below 98 or shorter trips, solid with the right base layer for long trips above 98.

Whether you go mesh or solid, in my experience - GET LIGHT COLORS! I had an Airglide mesh jacked in black and it was great while you were moving. Standing still in traffic or at a light, it was miserable! Switched to silver/white/light grey after that. Much better!

I currently wear the Airglide jacket and Fieldsheer 3-season mesh pants in silver, along with Oxtar (now branded as TCX) waterproof boots. The boots have a goretex lining and I wear the coconut socks from Roadgear and that combo works great, and they aren't really too hot.

Hmmm......since the Airglide jacket has a two-piece liner, I wonder if wearing the thin liner with the wet LDComfort base would perform the same as a solid jacket/base combo would??????? I may have to try that out this year.
Laura Moon

French kissing life square in the mouth.... :D
2014 Honda GL1800HPNA
Luna
Frequent Poster

Postby eap » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Tina and "The Funny One" make good points - I have a Fieldsheer mesh jacket that I wear a lot on day rides, but would rarely take it on an overnight trip primarily because I only can pack/wear one jacket and even in summer, there can be tremendouse temp variability (always carry electrics too).

My 'go to' jacket is my 7 yr old Belstaff (it's a waste length with chest and back vents), or my old beat up BMW Commuter (longer wasted but excellent arm and chest venting)... If it is really hot, then wet t-shirts and bandanas underneath come into play.

Also, good point on the undies issue, seemless butt undies are a MUST to reduce/prevent 'Monkey Butt" and you can use the no-name brands if you don't want to shell out for the quality stuff like LD Comfort, UnderArmor, NIKE etc... Bycicle shorts, only if unpadded, as they can bunch up... YMMV
eap
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby ASLRider » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:35 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. Very interesting discussion.

I wonder about the mesh vs. solid question in temps above 98 degrees. Part of that seems to make sense, but on the other hand when at speed, doesn't the wind provide cooling, even moreso if you have mesh gear? And I am guessing if you wore a solid jacket, the temperature around your body isn't going to remain at 98 degrees, but will likely rise as the jacket serves as an insulator... right? Makes me think of the question of desert garb.. seems counterintuitive to wear a full robe and turban in the scorching heat of the desert, but it protects you from the sun and... retains moisture? Can't recall the rest of that.

I also think we are positing several scenarios here. In one we are talking about long haul/endurance ride comfort, and the other is for the short hops. I ride my bike to commute almost every day, and typically under 50 miles. When I am going on a longer trip I can use the layers under my protective gear to accomodate for the temperature, but on my commute I have to be wearing my work clothes underneath. As a freelance ASL interpreter, I don't have an office where I can change, and it doesn't come across very well if I show up to a job with all my gear, a change of clothes, and ask "Where's the nearest bathroom?". I park my bike, do my superman change on the street and stow my gear (jacket, helmet, pants, gloves) in my hard luggage, then walk in with no one the wiser. Except when they see my motorcycle boots. Hah.

My scorpion jacket may be sufficient for this at the moment, and certainly was last year. Usually I wore like a sleeveless tee under my jacket and had my dress shirt folded up in my luggage. Problem was, my sleeveless tee was soaked by the time I got to work, so even putting on my shirt over it showed some sweat spots. I think this year I may transition to using more sweat wicking underlayers instead of cotton.
Last edited by ASLRider on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-G
http://www.gerardwilliams.net
1994 R1100RS "Erni" (thanks Karl!)

"Winter is coming"
ASLRider

Postby jmb122mp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 am

ASLRider wrote:Boots
Suggestions needed! Right now my "summer boots" are a pair of casual Harley Davidsons I got when I first started riding. They have approximately zero protection value and are basically a lifestlye boot that cover the ankle but are not rigid in any way. I want to look for something with more protection. I also have some Sidi Rain waterproof boots, but I get the feeling that these will be super hot in the summer. Ideas?

I think I got lucky with my summer boots. I love wearing my Wolverine work boots when I ride in cooler/cold weather. But I sweat way too much in them in warmer weather for summer riding. Last year, as my first summer of riding was approaching I essentially whined (anyone have a cheese pairing to go with summer boot whining?) about what to wear when the weather warmed up as I didn't care to spend more money for BMW or equivalently priced summer riding boots. Shane suggested a couple of brands with lower prices, one of which was TCX. I ended up ordering a pair of TCX X-Square Boots last Spring (Revzilla link) and have been very happy with them. They were $100 and remind me of a cross between high-top basketball shoes and wrestling shoes with extra padding/features for motorcycling riding. Despite the picture on the Revzilla page, they are all black (the lighting in their picture suggests multiple tones) and I have found them comfortable to wear all day at work when I ride in. Yesterday, I wore them again for the first time this year and once I was on the bike, felt like I had missed them all winter. It's not all roses with them... I do have a couple minor nits to pick with them but nothing major... I'll buy another pair when the current ones have reached their end of life.

Cheers,
Jim

'04 R1150R Rockster (Black/Orange)

"Don't Dude me". Dexter Morgan
jmb122mp

Postby sundaeman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:39 am

For local stuff I wear Olympia Air Mesh over pants that I'm fairly happy with (could use an armor upgrade from stock). For all day riding I've been using Motoport/Cycleport mesh jeans for a few years... they're not an over pant, but I've worn them in all kinds of temperatures up to 100+ and they've been great for me.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=15

Mesh kevlar jacket or shirt (Motoport) when it warms up.
Vendramini Marathon steel boots or Danners.
Mainly Held Steves for gloves.
2006 R1200RT-P

"Who is John Galt?"
sundaeman
Unhappily Ranked

Postby apastron » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:10 am

I wonder about the mesh vs. solid question in temps above 98 degrees. Part of that seems to make sense, but on the other hand when at speed, doesn't the wind provide cooling, even moreso if you have mesh gear? And I am guessing if you wore a solid jacket, the temperature around your body isn't going to remain at 98 degrees, but will likely rise as the jacket serves as an insulator... right?

The cooling effect of a moving mesh jacket in 98 deg. heat depends on the evaporation of sweat -- which will dehydrate the crap out of you real quick, making you hotter, miserable and dangerous. Unless you are going to keep spraying water on yourself, or ride with a camel-back.
The solid jacket will get hotter than your body in sunlight when stopped. But, at speed, it will protect you from air that is hotter than your skin, requiring - and carrying away - less sweat. When stopped, you are dealing with hot air -- but when going 70 mph, you are dealing with a CRAP-LOAD of hot air. (Test this out with a blow-dryer set on LOW HEAT on your arm with a mesh jacket, then a solid jacket)...

Having said all that, I love my Teknic "Aquamesh" jacket for 75-90 deg. temps. Still gotta watch for dehydration though :oops:

Edited to add: The concept of wind-chill is that air cooler than your skin will carry away heat at a rate that increases with wind speed. Air that is HOTTER than your skin, will intoduce heat at a rate that increases with wind speed ( See also: "convection oven"). Whichever is cooler is what absorbs the heat. "Coolness" cannot be absorbed since it technically doesn't exist - it's just a lower degree of heat...
apastron

Return to Reviews