Park-n-Move by Legal Speeding

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Park-n-Move by Legal Speeding

Postby Graybeard » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:46 pm

The Park-n-Move is a 4-wheeled dolly designed to accept the bike's center stand. Once the bike is on the Park-n-Move it can be rolled around and maneuvered easily for optimum storage.

We saw this product at the DC motorcycle show on Saturday, 1/16/2010, demonstrated by Aaron Zimmerman from Legal Speeding. I was impressed with the ease of movement the device allowed. The device is a single piece of welded steel with 4 heavy-duty locking casters. It weighs about 30 pounds.

My wife thought the Park-n-Move would be great for my R1200RT that I keep in our small crowded garage. Because we park our cars reasonably close to the garage entrance, I usually end up pulling the bike in at a diagonal. That makes it difficult to navigate easily around the bike and the RT takes up far more floor space than would be necessary if I could pull straight in.

We ordered the product at the show for $199 including "free shipping." Aaron made sure we had his business card and all contact information in the event we had any questions or problems. He suggested we would probably receive our Park-n-Move via UPS in about week or 10 days. I was very pleased that it arrived on the Thursday after the show - only 4 business days!

The product arrived well packaged and, after opening the box, rolled right out fully-assembled and ready to go! (Older models of the device were in several pieces and required assembly.)

The instructions for the unit are brief but complete. I was more than just a little apprehensive about getting the bike up and down on the device. Thankfully, Legal Speeding's web site has a series of videos demonstrating the proper technique. The written instructions don't miss anything but being able to see the techniques suggested was helpful. The sound in the videos is not very loud but they are otherwise pretty well done.

To utilize the Park-n-Move, you start with the bike on the side stand. Then position the device in front of the rear tire so that the center stand lines up with the base of the device. Then, you just raise the bike on the center stand as you normally would and the Park-n-Move pops under the bike (as long as you have the caster brakes off.) The effort to get the bike up on the center stand is increased due to the reduced leverage created by the 1/2 inch or so less clearance between the bike and the Park-n-Move vs. the bike and the ground. The additional effort it takes noticeable. If you have little or no difficulty using the center stand normally, you should not have problems with the Park-n-Move. If you find it very difficult to use a center stand, the Park-n-Move may not work for you.

The front wheel of my RT rests on the ground when I use the center stand. Once the bike is on the Park-n-Move, I can move the bike by pushing down on the rear, lifting the front tire off the ground, and push or pull the bike where I want it to go. I find it easier to steer the front tire where I want it. Then I just slide the bike sideways into position aligned with the front tire. The bike feels pretty stable when moving it around on the Park-n-Move. I don't get the feeling it wants to fall. Mind you, I think you need to be aware and cautious when moving the bike - particularly should the wheels encounter debris and lock up unexpectedly.

The bike does not "freewheel" when on the park and move. Deliberate force needs to be applied. You certainly don't have to worry about the bike rolling away if you bump into it! My garage floor is reasonably smooth. I do not think the Park-n-Move would work well on macadam or other rough surfaces.

The Park-n-Move can certainly be used to rotate the bike so you can drive in and drive out. No more backing down a steep driveway!

Getting the bike off the center stand is easy. Place the bike in gear, put down the side stand and lock the two casters closest to you. Put your toe on the Park-n-Move's base to steady it and roll the bike down as you normally might. Note: the bike will move further forward than you are used to because it is sitting higher on the Park-n-Move than it normally does.

I'd rate my satisfaction with the Park-n-Move as "very satisfied." It looks like a very high quality product, was shipped well and quickly, comes with a lifetime guarantee and does what I expected it to do. I can now snug my bike up against the side of our garage much tighter than I could ever position it otherwise. We have more available floor space and there's less chance of damage to the bike now that it's out of the way.

Please see Legal Speeding's web site at http://www.legalspeeding.com/Park-n-Move.htm for photos, videos, reviews and more information. The Park-n-Move has been reviewed in Rider, ON and MCN.

Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Re: Park-n-Move by Legal Speeding

Postby Chiba » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Good review, Larry. I've been contemplating buying a device like that to maximize storage possibilities (and getting around the stored motorcycles) in my basement. When I'm ready to get one, I'm going to look hard at the Park & Move.

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby ERC Scott » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 am

Nice review. I've been thinking about one of these for a while -- same reasons as you. One assist for popping onto the center stand might be to roll a tire onto a 3/4 inch thick board then position the center stand on the dolly. Should cut lifting effort considerably. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Graybeard » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:20 pm

ERC Scott wrote:Nice review. I've been thinking about one of these for a while -- same reasons as you. One assist for popping onto the center stand might be to roll a tire onto a 3/4 inch thick board then position the center stand on the dolly. Should cut lifting effort considerably. Scott

They suggest something much like that just for heavy/large bikes.

One other interesting tidbit was they suggest riders of large bikes that have automatic suspension height adjustments (like the Gold Wing) adjust the suspension to the highest setting before trying to go up on the center stand. Makes sense. May try that with the ESA just for fun.
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Postby Unity » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:43 pm

I suspect yours might be a little stronger than the one I got a couple years ago from the Fatherland.

Boxer-Design wrote:Moving assistance up to 350 kg of load for motorcycles with main stand

Price EUR: 99.00 / Unit
(Price incl. VAT excl. shipping & handling)
Article-No: ER800

Simply brakes at the ranking assistance lock, to
centrically to the front column the motorcycle,
over it push or drive,
a jacking up, brakes at the ranking assistance
solve, completely
For all machines with front column to 45cm broad.
Loadable up to 320kg.
With brake at all 4 twin roles and anti- slide
rubber edition.
Ranking assistance is completely installed
http://www.boxer-design.de/en/detail.asp?ID=46&pID=435

That's clear, right? The price is good -- 99 EUR = 132 USD (today's rate) -- and shipping wasn't particularly expensive for a bulky, heavy item coming from Europe, 25,50 EUR = 34 USD (today).

It works great for Jody's RS, but I have to take the side cases off my RT (tools, spares, various just-in-case stuff) or the dolly bottoms-out.

--John
(There's other interesting stuff on that site.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Graybeard » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:07 pm

It's been almost a year since I wrote my review on the Park-n-Move. Here's a quick update...

The Park-n-Move has been terrific! It's easy to use and really opens up space in our crowded garage. I can put the bike on the device and easily snug it up tight to the side wall allowing maximum usable garage space. When I'm ready to take the bike out, I just swing it out one-handed, roll it forward off the Park-n-Move and go.

Getting the RT on and off the Park-n-Move has gotten to be second nature. That's not to say it will be easy for everyone. If you have difficulty getting your bike on the center stand now, the Park-n-Move is only going to make the process more difficult. On the other hand, if you regularly use the center stand and don't find it challenging, the Park-n-Move will be easy to adjust to. (Note: if you have ESA, you will notice the difference when the bike is set for rider alone vs. rider plus passenger and luggage.)

A couple months ago, I noticed the soft material on one of the casters had cracked and was starting to break apart. My experience has created the expectation that warranty issues on devices like this are usually aggravating. Well, I sent Aaron Zimmerman an email telling him of the problem. His immediate reply was:
Larry,
The wheels are covered under the lifetime warranty. Please send me your current physical mailing address and we will send you four (4) new caster wheels. Please contact us if you do not have them within ten (10) days.

True to his word, they arrived in about a week and after 10 minutes I had "new rubber" all the way around! Terrific service and an excellent example os someone standing behind their product!

If you go to the International MC Show, you may see Aaron there demonstrating the Park-n-Move and his other products from Legal Speeding. Stop and say "Hi!" and tell him he has me as a very happy customer!

Stay safe!
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Postby Chiba » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:06 pm

I picked up one of these Park-N-Move thingies, it got here this week. Beautifully made and SO handy for moving bikes around.

--chiba
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Pilot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Mine showed up last week...it works great! Legal Speeding kept me informed of the order status from the moment the order was placed online. Very pleased with this product, quality material (heavy duty) so I know i will have it for a while. Moves two bikes around our garage very easily. I was debating this purchase, but the review above pushed me over the edge and now that i have it, I am very happy I made the move to buy.

Pilot
(buyer of gadgets!)
:lol:
Pilot

IBA# 45949
2020 R1250 GSA Red/White/Blue
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite (His (Gone))
2010 K1300GT Red (Hers (Gone))
Pilot

Postby rewdmd » Wed May 18, 2011 2:35 pm

Two issues you may want to consider:
I have a K 1200 GT and it's a bit of a bear to get up on the center stand. Following the suggestion on the website, I got about a foot long piece of 2" x 8" that I place in front of the front tire to roll the bike up on before trying to put it on the stand. This lifts the front up and makes it significantly easier to slide the bike onto the stand.
Second, I do not recommend putting the side stand down when moving the bike off the center stand. Lock two wheels of the Park-n-move, insure that the side stand is up, and roll the bike forward off the center stand. I tried it once with the side stand down, and the side stand got hung up on the front of the Park-n-move. The bike then rolled to the right and I couldn't hold it up. Fortunately, it was a soft lay-down without any damage, but I would never move the bike off the center stand with the side stand down again.
rewdmd

Postby Chiba » Thu May 19, 2011 8:08 am

rewdmd wrote:I have a K 1200 GT and it's a bit of a bear to get up on the center stand. Following the suggestion on the website, I got about a foot long piece of 2" x 8" that I place in front of the front tire to roll the bike up on before trying to put it on the stand. This lifts the front up and makes it significantly easier to slide the bike onto the stand.

I kinda wish I'd thought of this as well. I had a real bear of a time getting my K1200RS & Tina's K1300GT onto & off of the Park-N-Move; luckily I have (barely) enough brawn to just grunt & muscle them around. Next time though... I'm doing this!!!

--chiba
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Return to Reviews