Gator Skins Thermal Layers

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Gator Skins Thermal Layers

Postby wiredcur » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:59 pm

So those of you who know me, know I'm a big guy. My gear fits well enough in the warmer months but when I need to start adding on layers to keep warm things bulk up rather quickly. Those who saw me in the parking lot after today's meeting can attest to my lack of mobility.

I've looked at the "technical" layers at outdoor stores and sporting goods stores but the problem with these materials is that they keep you warm if your actively moving about, like running. Running is the last thing I'm worried about when I'm on the bike. I've been looking for a thin insulating windproof layer to take the place of two that I wear now.

Gator Skins

Found these at the Timonium Bike show. On my top I was wearing an UnderArmor tec shirt (for wicking), a long sleeve cotton t-shrit, Gerbings jacket, Gore-Tex Liner and my jacket. On the bottom I was wearing UA shorts, Northface convertible pants, pants liner and my mesh pants. Long thin wool socks, heavy gloves and a balaclava.

I bought a shirt, tights and a neck warmer. I replaced two upper layers (cotton t & gerbings) with the shirt. I took out the pants liner and changed to put the tights under my Northface pants and then just my mesh pants. I also replaced the full balaclava with just the neck warmer. The neck warmer is also fleece lined. And that's what I rode home with.

I had a huge improvement in my freedom of movement. The ride home was around 3pm, overcast, windy and probably 45 degrees. I was fine. I think I might actually try the Gator Skin shirt without the UA shirt. There seemed a slight chill on the arms but I'm thinking that might be the UA shirt since it's their HeatGear. My legs where great and my neck was even better. I felt no breeze or leaks around my neck and it sealed around the helmet to keep the wind from blowing in.

All in all, I'm giving Gator Skins two thumbs up!
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Re: Gator Skins Thermal Layers

Postby Chiba » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks for the info, Tim.

Maybe... just maybe switch to non-mesh pants for winter. Just sayin' :)

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby wiredcur » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:10 pm

chiba wrote:Thanks for the info, Tim.

Maybe... just maybe switch to non-mesh pants for winter. Just sayin' :)

--chiba

WHAT? They came with a liner. :D It's just the liners don't fit my legs that well.
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:12 pm

Um yeah, non mesh pants in winter with http://ldcomfort.com/ some people like the shorts, but I don't. long pants and mock turtleneck.

And ladies, check out the 'comfort top' you'll never wear a bra riding again!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby BMWGirl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:10 am

+1 on the LD Comfort.

I love having meetings at the REI stores, we always have such a good turn out! Plus we get to see all the cool stuff. I bought that vacuum mug and it works great! Rode to work this morning and my coffee was still HOT when I got in to the office! LOVE IT!!! =D> =D>
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Pilot » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:57 pm

BMWGirl wrote:+1 on the LD Comfort.

I love having meetings at the REI stores, we always have such a good turn out! Plus we get to see all the cool stuff. I bought that vacuum mug and it works great! Rode to work this morning and my coffee was still HOT when I got in to the office! LOVE IT!!! =D> =D>

So it had a place for zipties?! Cool I guess I should go back and get one too!
Pilot

IBA# 45949
2020 R1250 GSA Red/White/Blue
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite (His (Gone))
2010 K1300GT Red (Hers (Gone))
Pilot

Postby BMWGirl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Okay Brian, NOT funny! :evil: If you guys ziptie my tent shut AGAIN this year, I'm going to change the club colors to PURPLE!!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby mike6187 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:20 am

wiredcur wrote:So those of you who know me, know I'm a big guy. My gear fits well enough in the warmer months but when I need to start adding on layers to keep warm things bulk up rather quickly. Those who saw me in the parking lot after today's meeting can attest to my lack of mobility.

I've looked at the "technical" layers at outdoor stores and sporting goods stores but the problem with these materials is that they keep you warm if your actively moving about, like running. Running is the last thing I'm worried about when I'm on the bike. I've been looking for a thin insulating windproof layer to take the place of two that I wear now.

Gator Skins

Found these at the Timonium Bike show. On my top I was wearing an UnderArmor tec shirt (for wicking), a long sleeve cotton t-shrit, Gerbings jacket, Gore-Tex Liner and my jacket. On the bottom I was wearing UA shorts, Northface convertible pants, pants liner and my mesh pants. Long thin wool socks, heavy gloves and a balaclava.

I bought a shirt, tights and a neck warmer. I replaced two upper layers (cotton t & gerbings) with the shirt. I took out the pants liner and changed to put the tights under my Northface pants and then just my mesh pants. I also replaced the full balaclava with just the neck warmer. The neck warmer is also fleece lined. And that's what I rode home with.

I had a huge improvement in my freedom of movement. The ride home was around 3pm, overcast, windy and probably 45 degrees. I was fine. I think I might actually try the Gator Skin shirt without the UA shirt. There seemed a slight chill on the arms but I'm thinking that might be the UA shirt since it's their HeatGear. My legs where great and my neck was even better. I felt no breeze or leaks around my neck and it sealed around the helmet to keep the wind from blowing in.

All in all, I'm giving Gator Skins two thumbs up!

I also like Gator Skins Thermal Top. It is made from crew collars and knitted sleeve cuffs to keep cold air out. It has a remarkable heat capacity that maintains body temperature without weighing us down. I bought not only the Gator Skins Top but also the Gator Skins Balaclava. These are the best biking wears I have! :)
mike6187

Postby RockBottom » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:02 pm

And you're buying locally--Gatorskins are made in York, PA
RockBottom
Board Guru

Return to Reviews