Michelin PR3 Review

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby Unity » Sun May 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Traveling with tools and luggage, 38-42 to 40-44. Short jaunts, the former. I don't go quite 200-210 in gear, maybe 195-200. By the way, I'm real happy with my PR3s.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
User avatar
Unity
Shaman
 
Posts: 7170
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Reston VA

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby henwin » Sun May 27, 2012 9:42 pm

Unity wrote:Traveling with tools and luggage, 38-42 to 40-44. Short jaunts, the former. I don't go quite 200-210 in gear, maybe 195-200. By the way, I'm real happy with my PR3s. --John

Thanks.
I normally tip the scales at about 190, but by the time I have my gear on and the tools/camera in the trunk and my water cooler on the rear seat, when I clamber aboard, the bike will gain an additional 210, if not 215 lbs.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
User avatar
henwin
Board Wizard
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:51 pm
Location: West Bethesda, MD

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby howardenichols » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 am

Now I've got PR3 on both wheels so I'm curious what air pressures--the big people--are running? By big people, I mean those of us who weigh 200-210 lbs fully dressed (ATG)


"Big" is in the eyes of the beholder. I am interested in advice on inflation pressure for PR3 for my idea of big (I am closer to 250 right out of the shower and then I like to ride 2-up with my wife whose weight I won't divulge but she is not petite).
I changed out my front stock tire about 4K miles ago with the PR3 and then replace the factory original rear tire yesterday (after 9K). Another question: I figured out that the rear tire was gone via the wear bars (and advice from Bob's) but when I got home I decided to check the front time and for the life of me I could not find any sign of a wear bar on that tire. Since I only got 5K on the original front tire and i have 4K on the PR3, I would not be surprised if I don't get the 10-15K that everyone else is talking about. AND 2 things I don't skimp on tires and brakes -- I just don't want to take chances.
2011 R1200RT
2003 Honda VTX 1300
howardenichols
Member
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:35 pm
Location: Clifton, VA

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby ERC Scott » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 am

Howard wrote:Since I only got 5K on the original front tire and i have 4K on the PR3, I would not be surprised if I don't get the 10-15K that everyone else is talking about. AND 2 things I don't skimp on tires and brakes -- I just don't want to take chances.

Same here. Unless I have to replace due to an early-mileage puncture, I'll replace both tires at the same time. As for what tire pressure to use, assuming your total weight is within BMW's recommended carrying capacity, why would you not go with the recommendation in the owner's manual? As I understand it, both over- and under-inflation can have significant effects on handling and traction (and safety).
Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
User avatar
ERC Scott
Board Wizard
 
Posts: 2727
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:58 am
Location: Catoctin Mountain

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby howardenichols » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks Scott. Your suggestion makes sense.
2011 R1200RT
2003 Honda VTX 1300
howardenichols
Member
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:35 pm
Location: Clifton, VA

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby henwin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:31 pm

ERC Scott wrote:
Howard wrote:Since I only got 5K on the original front tire and i have 4K on the PR3, I would not be surprised if I don't get the 10-15K that everyone else is talking about. AND 2 things I don't skimp on tires and brakes -- I just don't want to take chances.

Same here. Unless I have to replace due to an early-mileage puncture, I'll replace both tires at the same time. As for what tire pressure to use, assuming your total weight is within BMW's recommended carrying capacity, why would you not go with the recommendation in the owner's manual? As I understand it, both over- and under-inflation can have significant effects on handling and traction (and safety).Scott

While I'm not going to argue with what you say, Scott, I think the pressures called for in the manual are a bit on the "soft" side at least for my RT, and not for just the stock tires, but almost anything else as well. I asked the boys at Bob's and they told me (for the 1200RT) to run 40/42. So that's what I've been doing. I ran my Metzler Z6s at 36-38 and 40-42, and got nearly 11K off the last rear! On the front I got "only" something over 9K. Still not bad. I think the PR3s will do better for me...but as you say, the mileage isn't really a factor when it's time for new shoes. If it's time, it's time. Just for your info, Howard, I'm 6'2" and weigh about 190 wet. ATG, I'd guess I'm pushing 210-215.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
User avatar
henwin
Board Wizard
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:51 pm
Location: West Bethesda, MD

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby R4R&R » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:08 am

I've made it past 10,000 miles on my rear PR3 so for that, I'm happy (It's been a while since I've had a rear tire go over that threshold). While the handling was good, it seemed like lately I've been feeling occasional slips when pushing medium-hard in the corners; probably an indicator the tire was near the end of it's life. I ordered a new one and hopefully it will be here Monday so it looks like I'm giving the PR3 another try. So far the front PR3 is wearing good, with over 8,000 miles and lots of tread left. Previous to the PR3s, I liked the traction of the Dunlop Roadsmart but typical of Dunlops, their front tires seem to cup prematurely.
'17 Triumph Explorer 1200
'04 R1150R (gone but not forgotten)
('13 Triumph Speed Triple - sons bike)
Itchin' for a ride
User avatar
R4R&R
GO COWBOYS!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby grownup » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:24 am

I love the p3 tires. I am on my second pair. The first set had no cupping on my front after 10K miles. Of course, I was using dynobeads in the tire. This time I am using regular lead wheel weights.
I get about 10-12K on my R1150-RTP with these tires and they are pretty stable tires. However, I found the Avon ST more stable. But, Avon tires are softer and cupped at about 5-6K for me.
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
2016 S1000 XR ( 1 BTC Bike )
User avatar
grownup
Member
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: Stevensville,MD

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby henwin » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:31 pm

grownup wrote:I love the p3 tires. I am on my second pair. The first set had no cupping on my front after 10K miles. Of course, I was using dynobeads in the tire. This time I am using regular lead wheel weights.
I get about 10-12K on my R1150-RTP with these tires and they are pretty stable tires. However, I found the Avon ST more stable. But, Avon tires are softer and cupped at about 5-6K for me.

I'm running PR3s now, but some years ago I had a set of Avon Storms on and while they were very good tires--particularly in the rain--they only lasted about 7000 miles--which was way less than I was wanting :( --and then wore out very quickly in the last 100 miles or so. As I recall I was down to the belts on the rear when I replaced them. I'm very happy w/ the PR3s so far...about 5000 miles.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
User avatar
henwin
Board Wizard
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:51 pm
Location: West Bethesda, MD

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby BMWGirl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm on my second pair of PR3's for this year and the first set had a little over 13K and this set has roughly 8K on them and are still holding strong. I really do like the Michelin tires. :D
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
User avatar
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!
 
Posts: 10126
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Queen of the World

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby henwin » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:36 pm

BMWGirl wrote:I'm on my second pair of PR3's for this year and the first set had a little over 13K and this set has roughly 8K on them and are still holding strong. I really do like the Michelin tires. :D

What tire pressures are you running? (I'm just curious)
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
User avatar
henwin
Board Wizard
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:51 pm
Location: West Bethesda, MD

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby BMWGirl » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:44 pm

henwin wrote:
BMWGirl wrote:I'm on my second pair of PR3's for this year and the first set had a little over 13K and this set has roughly 8K on them and are still holding strong. I really do like the Michelin tires. :D

What tire pressures are you running? (I'm just curious)



Oh Henry - you strain my brain. :lol: IF I REMEMBER correctly.... 39/42 - I THINK. I know it's close to those numbers. I can check again, the next time I ride. I don't usually commute on it so it may be a couple of days.
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
User avatar
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!
 
Posts: 10126
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Queen of the World

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby henwin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:49 pm

BMWGirl wrote:
henwin wrote:
BMWGirl wrote:I'm on my second pair of PR3's for this year and the first set had a little over 13K and this set has roughly 8K on them and are still holding strong. I really do like the Michelin tires. :D

What tire pressures are you running? (I'm just curious)

Oh Henry - you strain my brain. :lol: IF I REMEMBER correctly.... 39/42 - I THINK. I know it's close to those numbers. I can check again, the next time I ride. I don't usually commute on it so it may be a couple of days.

No problem, Tina. I'm just curious. Don't strain too much! :lol:
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
User avatar
henwin
Board Wizard
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:51 pm
Location: West Bethesda, MD

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby grownup » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 pm

I talked to the sales reps at the BMW MOA Rally in MO. They said the P3 tires work best with the recommended pressure. On my RTP with the Avon ST I ran them harder, but with the P3 I don't need too. I put 37PSI in the front and 42PSI in the rear.
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
2016 S1000 XR ( 1 BTC Bike )
User avatar
grownup
Member
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: Stevensville,MD

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby henwin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 pm

grownup wrote:I talked to the sales reps at the BMW MOA Rally in MO. They said the P3 tires work best with the recommended pressure. On my RTP with the Avon ST I ran them harder, but with the P3 I don't need too. I put 37PSI in the front and 42PSI in the rear.

When they said the "recommended pressure", what pressure were they referring to?

The reason I ask is that on the web site, it doesn't say. It seems to me that I called and asked and then the rep said to run at the same pressure that BMW recommends for the OEM tires, which I thought were very low...like 32F and 36R. I was told by the tech at Bob's who put them on, to run at 40F and 42R, which seemed awfully hard to me, but it's mostly what I do. If I want a bit more traction, I let a couple of pounds out of each. So I'm really curious to know if I'm running them too hard, and if I could get better traction by dropping the pressure, without losing too much wear, and if so, to what?
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
User avatar
henwin
Board Wizard
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:51 pm
Location: West Bethesda, MD

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests