Schuberth question

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Schuberth question

Postby ChaseH » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:13 am

Corey and I are looking at getting a pair of Schuberth C3s later this year. The following is a thread on the MOA board about breaking them in, and this weekend we were discussing the marks left on Janitor's head from his. http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59540

What's the common experience here? Does the foam adapt after 20-30 hours and become more comfortable, and do the seam marks stop occuring?
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Re: Schuberth question

Postby henwin » Tue May 08, 2012 11:16 pm

ChaseH wrote:Corey and I are looking at getting a pair of Schuberth C3s later this year. The following is a thread on the MOA board about breaking them in, and this weekend we were discussing the marks left on Janitor's head from his. http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59540 What's the common experience here? Does the foam adapt after 20-30 hours and become more comfortable, and do the seam marks stop occuring?

Helmets in general should not need a "break-in" period. Either it fits your head or it doesn't. Go to the helmet store and wear the helmet around the shop for 20-30 minutes. If you don't have any "pressure issues" that's a good sign. Take it off in front of a mirror and see if there are any red marks on your head. If there are, chances are the helmet doesn't fit properly. Whether the situation can be fixed with a thumb or other special "helmet fitmet adjustment tool" (like the back side of a teaspoon) would probably be your guess, but maybe the dealer's salesperson could help.

Just yesterday I tried on a Shoei Quest--for the 20-30 minute test fit. It fits me perfectly. In fact, I can't remember a new helmet fitting me as perfectly as the Quest does. If push came to shove I could very easily live with it.

I am interested in a Schuberth full face. I "test rode" one at Bob's open house a few weeks ago, and liked it, but I really need to just wear one around the dealership for 30 minutes or so and do the "red mark" test. I found that the helmet fit a bit tightly when I first put it on, but noticed that towards the end of my ride--and after about 20 minutes or so--it was already feeling better in the fit department. As Peter Meade, at Bob's, pointed out to me, it has numerous features that make it different--particularly in the "fit" department--from other helmets that I've worn in the past.

It may be that the Schuberth isn't a good design/shape for your head shape. Arai helmets--particularly the Quantum--used to be very good for head shapes like yours. I'm not sure if they have changed their headform, but if they haven't you might try a Quantum...or check with the dealer and see which of the Arai lines would fit your head the best.

Gook luck. I'll be interested in what you find.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby BMWGirl » Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 am

No disrespect Henry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I've had a few helmets and they all fit snug at first until you "break them in". I think it's necessary. The cheeck pads and helmet is new and stiff and needs to conform to your head. I don't view the helmet any different than a new pair of boots. When I first put on a pair, they fit and they are stiff. Until I break them in. Once broken in, they conform to my feet a little better and they are not quite so stiff.

I DO think that a helmet should give a lot of comfort in the beginning but if there is a little tightness, then that will hopefully get loosened out with a few rides. I have put on helmets and had immediate pain - the Scorpion for 1 - the EXO??? helmet hurt the side of my chin as soon as I put it on. That's not something I was willing to "chance". Too much pain is not a good sign.

I know Mortons used to let people take their helmets for a "test ride", I'm not sure if they still do but if they do, that's a great way to test out a helmet for wind noise, air flow and comfort.

That's my .02
:D
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby ChaseH » Wed May 09, 2012 8:43 am

henwin wrote:It may be that the Schuberth isn't a good design/shape for your head shape. Arai helmets--particularly the Quantum--used to be very good for head shapes like yours. I'm not sure if they have changed their headform, but if they haven't you might try a Quantum...or check with the dealer and see which of the Arai lines would fit your head the best.

You know, that's not a picture of me in my avatar. How do you know what my headshape really is, beyond some brief encounters?
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby henwin » Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 am

ChaseH wrote:
henwin wrote:It may be that the Schuberth isn't a good design/shape for your head shape. Arai helmets--particularly the Quantum--used to be very good for head shapes like yours. I'm not sure if they have changed their headform, but if they haven't you might try a Quantum...or check with the dealer and see which of the Arai lines would fit your head the best.

You know, that's not a picture of me in my avatar. How do you know what my headshape really is, beyond some brief encounters?

Seems to me that we had a 5-10 (15?) minute conversation at Morton's during their open house. My recollection is that you weren't wearing a hat and that your head (face?) shape is what could be described as "elongated". Arai helmets, particularly the Quantum line were designed with that shape in mind (and as I noted, that design may have changed, so it's best to ask the dealer).

Years ago, a friend of mine--with a head shape not unlike yours went from a Bell Helmet (when they were made in the USA) to an Arai Quantum--on my recommendation--and found helmet-fitment nirvana.

That's why I suggested it to you. But if you want, I can also say something like "well I don't know what shape head you have, but if your face/head is kind of tall and narrow, top to bottom, as opposed to, round (side to side), you might want to try an Arai Quantum, as that line of helmets seems particularly well suited to the cranial shape of tall and narrow."

My head shape is more "round" and I can wear helmets made by Arai (the aforementioned Quantum) and Shoei (X11, X12, Quest, and probably the new Neotec--but I'm not a modular fan), but not HJC or Scorpion. From the little I've worn it, it also appears that I may be able to wear a Schuberth too. Bottom line, I can wear the high-priced spread, but not the middle! :(
KTRSD,

henwin
Board Wizard

Postby henwin » Wed May 09, 2012 11:40 am

BMWGirl wrote:No disrespect Henry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I've had a few helmets and they all fit snug at first until you "break them in". I think it's necessary. The cheeck pads and helmet is new and stiff and needs to conform to your head. I don't view the helmet any different than a new pair of boots. When I first put on a pair, they fit and they are stiff. Until I break them in. Once broken in, they conform to my feet a little better and they are not quite so stiff.

And none taken, Tina. Perhaps I wasn't clear? I don't mean to imply that a helmet won't loosen up over time as the liner compresses a bit to better fit the wearer. It will. But it should never be loose, and the wearer's head shouldn't ever "swim" inside the helmet. If that's the case, then the helmet is too big, and was from the get-go. Properly fitting helmets are snug. If the helmet doesn't hurt you when you initially put it on, then you can test to see if it's snug enough: grab the helmet at the back and try to roll it forward, off your head (make sure you take your glasses off, first). If you can do that, it's probably too big.

BMWGirl wrote:I DO think that a helmet should give a lot of comfort in the beginning but if there is a little tightness, then that will hopefully get loosened out with a few rides. I have put on helmets and had immediate pain - the Scorpion for 1 - the EXO??? helmet hurt the side of my chin as soon as I put it on. That's not something I was willing to "chance". Too much pain is not a good sign.

And again, I totally agree with you, Tina. Any helmet that causes any pain when put on initially, doesn't fit. Take it off and try on a different size or brand.

BMWGirl wrote:I know Mortons used to let people take their helmets for a "test ride", I'm not sure if they still do but if they do, that's a great way to test out a helmet for wind noise, air flow and comfort. That's my .02 :D

Again, full agreement on the riding tryout if you can swing it. Most dealers that I am aware of, won't do that. But perhaps if you have a good rapport with one they will.
KTRSD,

henwin
Board Wizard

Postby kimokk » Wed May 09, 2012 12:55 pm

I tried both the Schuberth C3 and the Shoei Neotec. The Shoei fit me better and it was about $120 cheaper too! You should give it a try.
IBA #49426
2017 R1200GSA
2002 GL1800A Image
kimokk

Postby ERC Scott » Thu May 10, 2012 8:33 pm

I have had a C3 for 15 months (and an S1 prior to that). The C3 felt comfortably snug when new and remains comfortably snug today. I don't recall any noticeable marks being left on my face from the inner comfort liner pressure points -- that would suggest that the helmet fit is not as good as it could be. I'd definitely shop for other fits if a 20-minute trial wearing left pressure points on my forehead or cheeks. Some helmets have variable-sized cheek pads that help to customize fit (once you've found one that fits the general head shape, be it oval, round, elongated, etc. Happy shopping. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby sati8d » Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 am

I've got 24k miles in my C3. The first 6+k was not fun - the helmet left a nasty indentation in my forehead - quite painful after about 1hr of riding...About 7 months ago I found that if I wore a skull cap it stopped the pain of the forehead because it raises the helmet off your head. Then about 2.5 months ago, reading on the ADV site or the MOA site - can't remember, I read about spooning trick where you depress the liner styrofoam 1/8" to allow for the sewed liner in the forehead area. I smoothed out the forehead about 4" and about 4" back up the center strap. Now the helmet definitely sits on the crown of my head and there's absolutely no more pain. There's actually a littly more air flow - well feels like it... I'm really grateful for the tip, because after spending $1100 for helmet and comms collar, I was ready to ditch it and fork out more hard-earned freedom chips to buy the new Arai...
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby GSFun » Sat May 12, 2012 5:41 pm

I just got a new C3 and although I wore it around the shop for about 20 minutes and it felt great, once I rode for a few hours it started to feel snug. However, now that I have wore it numerous times it seems to have loosened up (broke in?) and feels great again.

One thing to keep in mind, I tried the women's first (as I am a WOman ;-) and it fit terrible (pushed my eyebrows down into my eyes). Point is, tell Corey not to "assume" she should get the women's. I think it is designed to fit a woman's face as in high cheekbones? But certainly did not work for me.

As everyone has already said, try a few different makes and wear them around the shop for 20-30 min to try them out. Or, if you have some close friends willing to share, that would be great cause you could try them on a ride for a longer period of time (I rode with Greg's a couple of times and got a really good feel for how it would fit).
Shannon Krammes
2011 G650GS
BMWBMW Membership Chair
membership@bmwbmw.org

-- Making BMWBMW a club of the members, by the members, for the members!!!
GSFun
Board Guru

Postby henwin » Mon May 14, 2012 2:54 pm

GSFun wrote:One thing to keep in mind, I tried the women's first (as I am a WOman ;-) and it fit terrible (pushed my eyebrows down into my eyes). Point is, tell Corey not to "assume" she should get the women's. I think it is designed to fit a woman's face as in high cheekbones? But certainly did not work for me.

Good point
GSFun wrote:As everyone has already said, try a few different makes and wear them around the shop for 20-30 min to try them out. Or, if you have some close friends willing to share, that would be great cause you could try them on a ride for a longer period of time (I rode with Greg's a couple of times and got a really good feel for how it would fit).

I disagree, in that other people's helmets--assuming they've been worn for at least several hours--probably are already "broken in" for that person's head, and therefore may or may not fit you. if another person's helmet fits you really well, are you:

1. sure the helmet really fits as well as you think it does, and
2. are you willing to have them break in your new helmet?

I'm not.
KTRSD,

henwin
Board Wizard

Postby bdimon » Mon May 21, 2012 12:36 am

GSFun wrote: Or, if you have some close friends willing to share, that would be great cause you could try them on a ride for a longer period of time (I rode with Greg's a couple of times and got a really good feel for how it would fit).

I have never been refused when I asked to test-ride a helmet. I have not done it in years but I bet it would still work. I leave the tags on and don't chip the paint and, of course, don't crash in it.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby henwin » Mon May 21, 2012 8:09 am

bdimon wrote:
GSFun wrote: Or, if you have some close friends willing to share, that would be great cause you could try them on a ride for a longer period of time (I rode with Greg's a couple of times and got a really good feel for how it would fit).

I have never been refused when I asked to test-ride a helmet. I have not done it in years but I bet it would still work. I leave the tags on and don't chip the paint and, of course, don't crash in it.

As with anything else, so will some won't. YMMV. :D
KTRSD,

henwin
Board Wizard

Return to Reviews