PIAA Cross Country HID's

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

PIAA Cross Country HID's

Postby radon222 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:05 pm

This is kind of a mixed review...

A year ago christmas, my lovely bride bought me the PIAA Cross-Country HID lamp kitfor the GS. The kit comes with two lamps, a pre-wired harness with a relay, and switch. Installation was very straightforward and I was pretty happy with the light they put out. The few times I could actually use them without blinding traffic around me that is :twisted:

So here we are a little over a year after installation and I discover that one of the bulbs has blown. Confirmed to be only the bulb by doing a quick switcherooni between the two lamps. So I contacted Twisted Throttle, an online vendor who sells the Cross-Countries to see about how to order a replacement bulb... and this response I got:

Hello Ed-

The Piaa cross country lights do now have replacement bulbs. You would
need a whole light assembly. Please let us know if we can further assist
you.

WHAT??? You gotta be ?#@%# me!!!! No replacement bulbs?!?!?! You shell out for a complete assembly with integrated ballast?!!$$$$$$$$$ (please note I don't mean to imply an ill feelings towards Twisted Throttle, they can only sell what PIAA will sell them)

A little digging on ADVRider and found that Trail Tech, who make a product; SCMR16 remarkably similar to the PIAA's will sell replacement bulbs and I now have one on the way. Oh yea the other tidbit I learned on ADV is its the vibes on the R bikes that are killing the bulbs :cry: #-o. I'll try one bulb replacement and see how it works... if it doesn't last then I guess its time to change light systems.
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Re: PIAA Cross Country HID's

Postby jaime henriquez » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:15 am

I had a light go out on the HIDs. I contacted PIAA: they are replacing the lights with a new design: new bulbs, and housing. I didn't buy the lights from PIAA. Jaime
jaime henriquez

Postby radon222 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks for that update Jaime,

I was able to speak with the PIAA rep at Bob's on Saturday. He explained about some of the continuing design changes that occurred( and ongoing) on the units. They changed wattage on the bulbs a couple of times and had the built-in ballasts to match. Users had no good way of knowing whether they had a 25W or 30W bulb and PIAA didn't want to get into potentially mis-matching ballasts and replacement bulbs.

So far both lights are still working..so we'll what happens when its time for a new bulb.
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby jaime henriquez » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:10 pm

As I mentioned in my last e-mail, I returned my non functioning HID lights to PIAA for their new improved model.

I called today because I had not received my new improve lights. I was told that there is a "problem" the manufacturer that was producing the new lights bailed out. The PIAA representative told me that they are looking for a new manufacturer. If they can't fix the problem, I would be compensated. Okay. What does this mean? Jaime
jaime henriquez

Return to Reviews