OT: I like my car's new tires

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

OT: I like my car's new tires

Postby Unity » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Our Passat wagon was at 51k miles on the original Michelin tires (R4R&R put the first 20k on them). The Michelins were not satisfactory in the wet. I had just plugged a puncture, the wear-bars were getting close, and we were preparing for a drive to FL, so I switched.

TireRack wrote:BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S H&V

The g-Force Super Sport A/S tires featuring H- and V-speed ratings are BFGoodrich's High Performance All-Season tires developed for the drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes and performance sedans. The H- and V-speed rated g-Force Super Sport A/S tires are designed to provide traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including in light snow.

The H- and V-speed rated g-Force Super Sport A/S tires feature an all-season tread compound molded into an aggressive directional tread design featuring a continuous center rib for dry road handling along with Aqua-Chute grooves for wet road hydroplaning resistance and tread blocks designed to grip snow in wintry conditions. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by BFGoodrich's Equal Tension Containment System (ETEC) of spirally wrapped reinforcement under the tread to provide the desired strength and maintain a consistent footprint at high speed. The g-Force Super Sport A/S features a dimensionally stable polyester carcass to blend ride comfort and responsive handling.

The first thing I noticed is quicker turn-in -- sporty tire response, a real improvement after the wooden Michelins, although not as pronounced as the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical A/S we ran on the Corrado and Audi until they stopped making them in 205 width. The dry traction is good. I haven't pressed them enough to find out how good. Wet traction is WAY better than the Michelins. WAY better. Sure, they'll slip if you work at it, but I'm very happy about that improvement. Finally today I got to try them in snow -- real good traction in wet, slushy snow. I expect similar behavior in dry snow. I'm hoping they do well on ice.

I know I'll get fewer miles out of them, they make a little noise on certain types of pavement, and they transmit road irregularities to the steering wheel and suspension more than a cushioned-ride road tire, all trade-offs I'm quite willing to accept for improved performance.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Re: OT: I like my car's new tires

Postby RocketMan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:24 am

Unity wrote:The first thing I noticed is quicker turn-in -- sporty tire response, a real improvement after the wooden Michelins, although not as pronounced as the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical A/S we ran on the Corrado and Audi until they stopped making them in 205 width. The dry traction is good. I haven't pressed them enough to find out how good. Wet traction is WAY better than the Michelins. WAY better. Sure, they'll slip if you work at it, but I'm very happy about that improvement. Finally today I got to try them in snow -- real good traction in wet, slushy snow. I expect similar behavior in dry snow. I'm hoping they do well on ice.

I know I'll get fewer miles out of them, they make a little noise on certain types of pavement, and they transmit road irregularities to the steering wheel and suspension more than a cushioned-ride road tire, all trade-offs I'm quite willing to accept for improved performance.

--John

Well, yah, I can see where anything other than wooden tires/wheels could be a huge improvement!!! I hope at least they were round not square!! :P

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Jeez, now I've gotta explain about metaphors. :roll:

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby markap » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:57 am

I recently put them on my '99 Saab 93-T convertible - very nice, great grip and handling (50 ratio). Nice tire. Also added Michelin LX2 to the Explorer - also a very nice tire, again great grip and handling. (Makes 13 tires I've bought in the last month, 4 for son's Subaru and one for the bike)
markap

Postby Blaster229 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:10 pm

You didn't go for these new Michelin's? :)

Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby Unity » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:06 pm

I want those for my chopper. :D

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)