PRODUCT REVIEW - ReV'it Jade boots

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Postby DriveShaft » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:36 am

BMRGirl wrote:
DriveShaft wrote:I think my gf's going to like how adjustable that cuff looks. It looks like it's a little shorter than the bmw all-round, and typical oxtar boot. Is that just the perspective fooling me?

The pix were useful, thx :)



Joe if you don't get a good waterproof boot, she's not going to be happy! :lol: Plus the BMW all arounds are good in cold weather too. Just my .02!! :lol:
Tina...if you can get Mai to head out willingly in the cold and rain...you've gotta be some master of hypnosis or something. :)

Well, actually lately, since she's been commuting more and more on it, she's started to enjoy the fact that she's on two wheels in the rain. She even bought raingear! So, yes, I see the value of waterproof boots. But she does have the old Oxtars for that. She just doesn't like how they squeeze her calf so much. I think if she elected for any cosmetic surgery, it'd be a calfectomy...and maybe moving that muscle to her deltoids. :)
DriveShaft
 

Postby Firebird » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:43 am

BMRGirl wrote:
DriveShaft wrote:I think my gf's going to like how adjustable that cuff looks. It looks like it's a little shorter than the bmw all-round, and typical oxtar boot. Is that just the perspective fooling me?

The pix were useful, thx :)



Joe if you don't get a good waterproof boot, she's not going to be happy! :lol: Plus the BMW all arounds are good in cold weather too. Just my .02!! :lol:


And that's why you take an extra pair of socks to change into, rain covers or small plastic bags to wrap your feet in. Walking in water logged boots and shoes is no fun. I did that last year coming home from the 4 Winds Rally. But one of the benefits of that was that I got all that dead skin off my heels easier and it made my feet softer. :lol:

Just have your girlfriend try on several pairs and from different makers. She's the one who is going to have to wear the footwear so she will be a better judge of what she will wear on her feet while riding. My take on these Jade boots is just my opinion. Happy shopping. :)
Firebird
 

Postby Blaster229 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:57 am

I have the oxtar shorter type boots, that cover the ankles. They are more like shoes actually. I occasionally wear them. I would never ride them on long or overnight rides. I like the shin protection that real boots provide. I might toss the oxtars on to ride around the corner perhaps. My old timberlands provide better protection than the oxtar shoes.

Ihate the thought of getting my ankles mangled somehow.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr
 
Posts: 7695
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:32 pm
Location: Balmer.

Postby BMWGirl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 am

well it's not about the INTENTIONAL ride in the rain but the unexpected. I would never try to talk anyone in to doing something that they aren't comfortable with. My only thing is, if you are out and about and get "caught" in the stuff, with the right gear, you can get through it and think "ahhh that wasn't so bad". But if you have the wrong gear, then you have someone who's upset and COULD potentially say "I don't ever want to do that again". Yes I could be over exaggerating a bit but I have seen it happen.

Just expressing my .02! :lol:

I don't like the bags or things over my boots, I don't feel secure, I'm sure others are fine with them, but I need to feel that sense of security and feel solid when I put my feet on the ground. Especially in wet weather! But AGAIN - My own personal preferences!!

Good luck - I hope your wife continues to ride and continues to enjoy it!! I LOVE RIDING!!! :lol: :lol:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
User avatar
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!
 
Posts: 10126
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Queen of the World

Postby Unity » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:31 am

Guaranteed waterproof.

--John
(Testimonials upon request.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
User avatar
Unity
Shaman
 
Posts: 7170
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Reston VA

Postby Ben_Ricci » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:47 am

I have Rev It Nemos and have worn them many times in drenchers (all day-hard rain) and they kept me completely dry.

I also have Rev It Freestyles (lower cut) and they are perfectly dry, too. My only gripe is the velcro strap has a habit of loosening. Other than that, both are fine riding boots.

I also have Sidi, which aren't waterproof nor intended to be, although they are fine through a quick shower.

My two cents. 8)
Ben_Ricci
 

Postby Firebird » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:07 pm

BMRGirl wrote:

I don't like the bags or things over my boots, I don't feel secure, I'm sure others are fine with them, but I need to feel that sense of security and feel solid when I put my feet on the ground. Especially in wet weather! But AGAIN - My own personal preferences!!


Bags not over the boots. Bags over the feet while inside the boots. A cheap way to waterproof the feet. :roll: :lol:
Firebird
 

Postby Blaster229 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Firebird wrote:
BMRGirl wrote:

I don't like the bags or things over my boots, I don't feel secure, I'm sure others are fine with them, but I need to feel that sense of security and feel solid when I put my feet on the ground. Especially in wet weather! But AGAIN - My own personal preferences!!


Bags not over the boots. Bags over the feet while inside the boots. A cheap way to waterproof the feet. :roll: :lol:


Would those be gore-tex bags that let your feet breathe? Otherwise, your feet sweat inside the bags because they are just that, WATERPROOF.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr
 
Posts: 7695
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:32 pm
Location: Balmer.

Postby Chiba » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:40 pm

Blaster229 wrote:I hate the thought of getting my ankles mangled somehow.

Once they fuse your ankle bones back together it's really not that bad.

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
User avatar
Chiba
The FUNNY One
 
Posts: 6464
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:01 pm
Location: Mechanicsville VA

Postby Blaster229 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:41 pm

chiba wrote:
Blaster229 wrote:I hate the thought of getting my ankles mangled somehow.

Once they fuse your ankle bones back together it's really not that bad.

--chiba

Well then, let me go out right now and git er done so I don't hafta worry about no tall boots!
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr
 
Posts: 7695
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:32 pm
Location: Balmer.

Postby Firebird » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:49 pm

Blaster229 wrote:
Firebird wrote:
BMRGirl wrote:

I don't like the bags or things over my boots, I don't feel secure, I'm sure others are fine with them, but I need to feel that sense of security and feel solid when I put my feet on the ground. Especially in wet weather! But AGAIN - My own personal preferences!!


Bags not over the boots. Bags over the feet while inside the boots. A cheap way to waterproof the feet. :roll: :lol:


Would those be gore-tex bags that let your feet breathe? Otherwise, your feet sweat inside the bags because they are just that, WATERPROOF.


Hey, it's just a short term solution to a problem of keeping your feet dry in torrential rain. Maybe better to ride with slightly damp sweat feet then rain soaked feet. Nothing is perfect. :roll:
Firebird
 

Postby Blaster229 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:59 pm

Honey, in the middle of a rain storm, I dare say nobody in their right mind is going to pull on the side of a highway or hunt down a safe parking lot to take their boots off in the rain and put cinch saks on em.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr
 
Posts: 7695
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:32 pm
Location: Balmer.

Postby Firebird » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:05 pm

Blaster229 wrote:Honey, in the middle of a rain storm, I dare say nobody in their right mind is going to pull on the side of a highway or hunt down a safe parking lot to take their boots off in the rain and put cinch saks on em.


You do you. Nobody said you had to use that idea. :roll:
Firebird
 

Postby Hello Kitty » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Firebird wrote:
Blaster229 wrote:Honey, in the middle of a rain storm, I dare say nobody in their right mind is going to pull on the side of a highway or hunt down a safe parking lot to take their boots off in the rain and put cinch saks on em.


You do you. Nobody said you had to use that idea. :roll:


:lol: He does himself all the time! :lol:

Yeah, cruiserworks. Thanks for posting that John. I'm gonna get me a pair of them. Does Jody wear 'em? Which model? Of course, I like the mens but they don't come in my size. I would go with the Lady rider or that zip up the front dealio looks kinda kewl.
Kitty
User avatar
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina
 
Posts: 7474
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:13 pm

Postby Unity » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:Yeah, cruiserworks. Thanks for posting that John. I'm gonna get me a pair of them. Does Jody wear 'em? Which model? Of course, I like the mens but they don't come in my size. I would go with the Lady rider or that zip up the front dealio looks kinda kewl.

Jody wears the Lady Rider boots. I wear the Men's Tour, as does our son. We are a happy Cruiserworks boot family. :D

They really are waterproof, and they achieve it without Gore-Tex or other membrane, just leather treatment, so they breathe like leather. I have some special wicking socks, but it really doesn't seem to matter what I wear, including cotton crews.

Some people worry about pull-on boots, afraid they might come off as one goes sliding/tumbling along the highways and byways. I like pull-on boots because they're easy to get on and off. The ones that zip or tie (no offense, Tina) would probably be more secure.

All gear is a compromise. But I don't like to compromise on waterproof.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
User avatar
Unity
Shaman
 
Posts: 7170
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Reston VA

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron