The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Into the Unknown

Place to keep up with Road Rallies & Races

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Into the Unknown

Postby Hello Kitty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Okay folks, if you're interested in Endurance Rallies, here's one to check out

http://www.thebigskyrally.com is the website for the event.

Look around, check out the staff, click on the little dots under Bob Torter's picture and you'll see that this is truly an all star staff, very experienced in the rally scene, both organizing and riding. BUTT! Do not be intimidated by this! At all! Instead, feel confident that your money and time will be well spent on a quality event. The resort is extending the nights that the rally rate is in effect. This is a great spot to stay and take a few really nice day trips to the surrounding areas, including Yellowstone about 1 hour south. I stayed with Bob and Sylvie last summer and Yellowstone was an easy and pleasant day trip.

There are two 'classes' of riders for the event and folks new to rallying are most certainly encouraged to participate. This event will also have a bunch of people who are only participating in the RTV (Ride To Visit), so that's an option as well. But if you are curious about endurance rallies, head on out west this summer!

Details on the website and supercede anything I say here, but as I understand, there will be minimum points criteria to be a finisher, but not minimum miles. Several rallies have something like this just to make sure people who are actually going to ride the event are given the opportunity to participate.

My first rally out west was in 2008, Run What Ya Brung, out of Salt Lake City. I didn't know a soul there when I arrived. I now have life-long friends from that event, including Bob and Sylvie Torter, many of whom I met at RWYB. In other words, it's completely cool to go on out there by yourself, even if you don't know anyone. They have a 'forum' for riders to discuss 'stuff' so you'll have a chance to get to know some folks in advance if you're so inclined.

I'd be happy to try and help answer questions, but certainly, the best place to get information is on the website above - if it's not covered there, use the contact info on the website for more information.

Have fun!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Re: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Into the Unknown

Postby Chiba » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 am

I heard some great talk about that rally in '11, it sounded like a lot of fun!
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Hello Kitty » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:48 am

The weather for the ride out here has been fantastic! MUCH better than the miserable heat and awful wind I slogged through last summer getting out here. I'm in Wall, SD right now, will be leaving a little after 7. Need to stop at Wall Drug and look for a special toy for Lou. We got him one here a few years ago and he loved it to death. Literally. I know I won't find the exact same one, but I'm hoping for something similar enough. Now, if I could only figure out what made it so special. I'm sure it wasn't the fact that it was a jackalope or from Wall... Why do I feel that it was? :D

Anyway, back to the ride. Just making time getting here. Left about noon from DC area, made it just past Indy that evening. Then to Wall. Now to Big Sky. The stock seat on the FJR with Bead Rider beads (http://www.beadrider.com) is adequate, but if I intend to do more, longer LD work on the FJR, I'm going to need to do something. Been using a camel back for hydration and it works well enough for me. A more permanently mounted solution is better (for me), but this is working as well.

It never got above 90 and there's been a coolish breeze. Traffic has been light, minimal construction, all is well. Had some on and off sprinkles and full on rain yesterday on I-90 in SD, but nothing soaking by any stretch. Temps were down to about 70 at that point and I did worry I might catch a chill if it rained much more, but everything worked out just fine.

We got the bonus locations about a week ago, but no intel as to point values or other pertinent info. I'm trying to keep an eye on the wild fire information because it seems that they are going to play a roll in this rally. Either make getting from A to B a looooonnnnng detour or possibly just not doable. Should be interesting.

Looking forward to seeing friends tonight in Big Sky!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Hello Kitty » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:50 am

Oh and there's a HIDEOUS BMW in the parking lot of this motel in Wall. Not that the bike itself is ugly, but the color the owner has decided to paint it... Whew. U-G-L-Y, it ain't got no alibi, it's UGLY!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Maria V » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 am

GO KITTY GO! :D
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Chiba » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:59 am

Pictures!!
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Return to Races & Endurance Rallies