Breakfast Ride this Saturday, July 18

Use this forum only for planning Rides To Eat

Breakfast Ride this Saturday, July 18

Postby bdimon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:52 pm

After breakfast, I want ice cream.
A 100-mile, three hour ride should digest the bacon and eggs enough to make room for ice cream.

Breakfast at 10am - Old Town Diner (a personal favorite) http://oldtowndiner.net/

Ice cream at 2pm - The Half Pint Creamery got good reviews http://www.halfpintcreamery.com/

View Larger Map
Is it obvious that I rode a Gold Wing for years? :lol8:
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: Breakfast Ride this Saturday, July 18

Postby tom2000 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:45 pm

I'll be there and I'm always up for ice cream. Anyone riding out from Baltimore?
Tom Rhodes
2002 R1150 GS
tom2000

Postby JonG » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:51 pm

I'm in; weather permitting.
Jon
JonG

Postby Kilted111 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:36 pm

I plan to be there. Coming from Clarksburg
Mark Richter
2005 R1200ST
Kilted111

Postby JonG » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Well too bad. Weather was not permitting. Just stopped raining here.
JonG

Postby bdimon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:20 am

JonG wrote:Well too bad. Weather was not permitting. Just stopped raining here.

Jon, the last rain drop fell while we ate breakfast and the sun came out a half hour after we started riding. Shane, Jon, and I enjoyed breakfast (love those fluffy pancakes) but only Jon and I went for the ride.

I planned a route by setting Google Maps to show terrain, zooming in, and looking for squiggles. Then I check with Bing Maps and TomTom to edit out the dirt roads. Well, most of them. Tele-Atlas and Here maps services don't spend enough effort classifying pavement conditions for wimpy street riders. Luckily, Jon is a GS rider and is made of studier stuff. Actually, the databases did pretty well; only about three of the hundred miles were hard pack dirt and gravel. Even my RT with street tires did not complain.

I was worried about the heat so I was surprised that the dash thermometer stayed under 80 for the first third of the trip and never got over 90 until we were almost at the Half Pint Creamery. I got the timing right. :D

The Michaux Forest helped keep the temps low and the traffic was light. As a matter of fact, we were only behind a slowpoke for a couple of minutes. Either the traffic was really light or I'm the slowpoke. Who cares? The roads curved through woods and hills then down through valley farms. One more time over the hills and down a dirt road before passing through the orchards of Adams County. The roads got gentler as we got closer to the end.

The ice cream place was good if a little pricey. I had a scoop of espresso chocolate chip that was better than the last cone I had at South Mountain Creamery. Jon mentioned that the difference might be that one ice cream shop is in a strip mall while the other is surrounded by cow barns.
http://www.halfpintcreamery.com/

Found new roads, ate good food, enjoyed good weather when we expected bad. It was a good ride.

View Larger Map
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Return to RideToEat - RTE