Protecting your bike from corrosion

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Protecting your bike from corrosion

Postby anoop » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:46 pm

I use a product called "Corrosion Block" or "ACF-50" to protect my bike from corrosion caused by salt and water.
It's a product that really works, so I love telling people about it. We all want our bikes to be perfect!

You can buy it at West Marine for about $20. It's pricey but worth it. One bottle will last a very long time and save you from expensive damage in the long run.
You can almost dip you bike in it, so I put it everywhere except the plastic (although it's fine on plastic), the windscreen, rims, brakes and rotors.
It can be used as a dielectric grease, too, so you don't have to worry about getting CB on the electronics.

Unfortunately I couldn't find something other than the can. I've seen it applied on airplanes using an atomizer, which would make life easier for me. I first clean my bike with soap and water, then paint the Corrosion Block on using a paint brush (the bristle type, not the foam). I paint it all over and then wipe off the excess with a rag. All that is needed is a thin film. I also clean my chain and spray CB on the chain, then put chain lube on top of that. The CB spreads, so I'm careful around brakes and tires.

If I've ridden in salty conditions, like from commuting all week, I just hose the bike down. The Corrosion Block will still stick to the bike. I don't go crazy
with soap and scrubbing, though. I want that barrier to remain, so I do quick rinse with cold water. Sometimes I reapply it in some spots. When spring arrives, I'll have a layer of dirt all over your bike. Worry not! Beneath this layer, Corrosion Block is doing its job.

In the springtime, I break out the soap and scrub my bike down. That layer of dirt and Corrosion Block really takes some scrubbing to remove. I then reapply CB for the spring and summer. I only need to apply CB twice a year, with maybe some reapplying in some spots. These spots will probably be the exhaust headers, since the CB tends to burn off of those.

I first learned about Corrosion Block from ukgser.com and advrider.com. This product is very popular in the UK, where it is known as ACF-50.

Here are some of its capabilities:
* ACF-50 is an excellent penetrant.
* ACF-50 provides excellent low-shear lubrication to moving parts and cables.
* ACF-50 kills any corrosion currently in progress with just one application.
* Removal of the corrosion by-product is not necessary.
* ACF-50 is good for rubber, preventing it from cracking or drying out.
* In most applications, ACF-50's unique properties will last for 24 months before it is consumed and needs to be re-applied.
* The ultra-thin-film does not attract and hold salt crystals and dirt particles.
* The ultra-thin film does not "dry". It stays a flexible liquid and therefore seals the surface better as the surface expands and contracts.
* ACF-50 will not displace or melt any grease which is already in place. It will mix with it and make it more efficient.
* ACF-50 will not support combustion.
* ACF-50 has a very low percentage of Volatile Organic Compounds (less than 17%).
* ACF-50 is non-carcinogenic and virtually non-toxic. Incidentally, full toxicality testing has been done to support this claim.
* ACF-50 can be easily removed with MEK or soap and water.
* ACF-50 will not harm any plastics or painted surfaces.
* ACF-50 can be safely applied to electronics such as radios, timers, test equipment, antenna connections, computers, etc. However, we recommend you avoid using it on LED's, LCD's and soft membrane switches.
* ACF-50 can be safely applied to electrical components such as alternators, starters, magnetos, generators, distributors, carburators, wiring, switches, rheostats, compressors, battery terminals, light bulb sockets, electrical connectors, circuit breakers, ignition systems, wire harnesses, etc.

Here's a good article on applying it onto your bike:
http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic ... 58#2311458

West Marine:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sku=441942

More links:
http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm
http://www.mkhouse.com/html/corrosionbl.htm
Last edited by anoop on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anoop

Re: Protecting you bike from corrosion

Postby ERC Scott » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:51 am

Haven't used it myself, but many riders on the Tiger 1050 board are advocates. For some reason the fasteners used by Triumph are prone to corrosion more than other brands :oops: Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Re: Protecting your bike from corrosion

Postby ERC Scott » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:48 pm

With road-salt season impending, I did a search for anti-corrosion chemicals and (re)found this post. Anyone have experience with this product? Any downsides? Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby redman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:54 pm

ACF-50 is great stuff and is what A&Ps and aircraft owners use on airframes. I used to buy it at Aircraft Sprice and Specialities.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

Sorry did not see the question on downside.
This from All Year Biker should answer any questions you may have
http://www.allyearbiker.co.uk/How_to_-_Apply_ACF50.html

Just be careful on the application, it will stain
redman
Board Guru

Postby ERC Scott » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:59 pm

redman wrote:ACF-50 is great stuff and is what A&Ps and aircraft owners use on airframes. I used to buy it at Aircraft Sprice and Specialities.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

Cool -- do you put in a spray applicator and hit exposed engine and chassis components (missing the rotor/caliper!) or do you use a more judicious application. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby anoop » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:16 pm

What does it stain? Plastic? Clothes? Teeth? :mrgreen:

ERC Scott wrote:
Cool -- do you put in a spray applicator and hit exposed engine and chassis components (missing the rotor/caliper!) or do you use a more judicious application. Scott

I apply it using a shop rag and paint brush. I wish I had an atomizer thingy.
Yup...that's where I spray it. I avoid plastic, but I apply it on the bolts that go into the plastic. I also apply it on my hoses, wheel spokes and brake banjo bolts.
anoop

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links