A Happy Accident

Tell Us About Your Rides!

A Happy Accident

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:31 pm

Today as I was leaving my apartment heading for my cage, I looked up and saw the sun!

"Screw this!" I said to myself and headed back in with the motorcycle cover in hand. Grabbing my helmet and jacket, with my BMWBMW Messenger Bag over my shoulder I jumped on the bike and headed for the HOV! Gotta love it!

As luck would have it, unusual for me, I saw that 95 was a parking lot, not a car moving. I could almost feel the eyes on me as I headed for work at 80 mph! :lol:

Arriving at least a half an hour, probably more, earlier than I would have, I was in a good mood! :D

The day flew by at an unusually fast pace and before I knew it I was headed for the door and a ride home.

As I jumped back on the HOV I noticed that 95 was jammed again! More luck. Cruising down the HOV I decided it was too nice to just go home and I headed for Fredericksburg and Morton's BMW.

Unfortunately, or so I thought, as the HOV ended, the traffic jam continued. Seeing that I would never make Morton's before they closed, I decided to get off the slab. I took the first exit I came too, about a mile down the road.

This turned out to be more good fortune as I found myself on a deserted and twisty 20 mile stretch of SI 619. Those of you from this area know this road, though I didn't know this end of it. Absolutely perfect riding conditions with plenty of sun, but not hot, and no cars on my side of the road.

Zooming along at 50% above the Speed limit, I had the ride of the week! Perfect corners with just enough sight line to be fairly safe, but tight enough to require an occasional down shift. I then turned onto 234 for a couple of miles, over to Hoadly Road and onto Yates Ford and the back entrance to the Occoquan Reservoir and parks area.

This is one of my favorite areas to ride, and I do it at least twice a week. Twisty tree covered country roads leading into Fountainhead Park, or alternatively into Clifton. It comes out a few miles from my apartment!

Nothing but sweet roads and no traffic. nearly 100 miles of bliss. :)

The only bummer was my second roadkill ever. Another squirrel with a death wish! I just wish they would decide to commit suicide by vehicle somewhere other than on a corner. I was leaned fairly far when I splatted him and I am barely here to tell you that they are slippery! I nearly lost it and just managed to get some traction about 6" from the edge of the road.

Nonetheless, it was a great day of riding! and all in a couple hours after work!

Anyone want to take Wednesday off with me and ride? I'm calling in sick, of work!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Catching up

Postby jkerechek » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:47 am

If you keep riding to work I'll never catch up. :D

What time are you stopping by on saturday to do your brakes?

John
jkerechek

Postby MrE » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:42 am

jvonbaden wrote:Cruising down the HOV I decided it was too nice to just go home and I headed for Fredericksburg and Morton's BMW.

Glad you bailed out and had a fun time. You would have been very sad if you had slugged through I95 traffic just to find out that they were closed on Mondays.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:43 pm

mrenloe wrote:
jvonbaden wrote:Cruising down the HOV I decided it was too nice to just go home and I headed for Fredericksburg and Morton's BMW.

Glad you bailed out and had a fun time. You would have been very sad if you had slugged through I95 traffic just to find out that they were closed on Mondays.

LOL I forgot they were closed on Mondays. I made it there last night though. Purchased way more stuff than I needed too! :roll:

John,

How about 9:00AM? Too early?

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby jkerechek » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:52 am

9:00 is fine
jkerechek

Return to Ride Stories