Rented RT in England, then rode it in France

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Rented RT in England, then rode it in France

Postby rfk757 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:54 am

I rented a R1200RT from West Sussex Motorcycle Hire, http://www.westsussexmotorcyclehire.co.uk/

The rental location is in Chichester, West Sussex, very close to Portsmouth and the ferry. I rode to a pub near the ferry terminal and met up with my brother, who also rides an RT. We took the ferry overnight from Portsmouth to St Malo, getting in about 8 am. We each rented a bedroom w/shower for the 10 hour crossing - Brittany ferries - very comfortable and great dining experience before bedtime!

We rode fairly hard the first day down to the Bordeaux region and next day motored through the wine country - just beautiful riding. French roads are excellent - well maintained, and the motorists are used to sharing the road with motorcycles.

The next few days we explored southern France, staying with my sister in Condom outside Toulouse. Plenty of terrific minor roads and twisties near the Pyrenees. Plenty of good lunch stop cafes and restaurants - really was close to perfect experience.

My brother and I then spit up so he could go and see other friends, and I rode up to the Normandy region of France, staying in an incredible hotel that was more like a chateau - very close to the beaches, but in the country. I spent three days riding around the various landing beaches, including the very sad and moving American, Canadian and Commonwealth cemeteries.

I returned from Cherbourg to Portsmouth on a daylight high speed ferry. Very pleasurable experience with the ferry company except for one issue with the bike being scratched because of poor securing by one of the staff. Quite funny to watch my brother and this guy shouting at each other in French. The ferry company and motorcycle worked out the details of reimbursing for a new side bag. I bought full insurance with the bike; it was not an option as I recall. Glad I had that level of coverage.

All in all a terrific trip, but the motorways require tolls and that is a royal pain to stop and pay with a Visa card. Also, one gas station may decline your card, and another one takes it - all Visa - hard to figure that one out, but I do suggest having at least two credit cards when traveling overseas. Forget American Express......never saw one place that took it, hotels, restaurant, or gas etc. All told, I rode about 1500 miles in 10 days

By all means PM me for more detailed information if interested, otherwise email me at rfk757@gmail.com

Rory Kay
rfk757

Re: Rented RT in England, then rode it in France

Postby Rick F. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Rory,

Wow, sounds like an exceptional trip! I've driven through much of France (and loved every minute), but going by motorcycle would be even better.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories