New Years Day Ride?

Put Together a Ride, Find Riding Partners, Ask Ride Advice

Re: New Years Day Ride?

Postby kjackson » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:26 am

Where for breakfast? I'm not sure how much riding I'll get in, but I'd hopefully be able to get out for breakfast with the crew. I've got a pretty full day already. My honey is coming home that day and I'm helping a friend work on his kitchen remodel.

Standing by for info...
- Kermit
Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut. - Winston Churchill

There are people dying every day that have never lived. - me

It'll become painfully obvious when the gun owners become "unreasonable".
kjackson
The PURDY One

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:14 pm

bdimon wrote:Just a bump to ask where we should start the ride. I like Beans in the Belfry for a destination and vote for that. After we decide on a starting point, I'll update the club calendar. Meet to eat at 9:00 or side stands up at 9:00?

Wheels rolling at 9, start at 8 for breakfast.

City Diner Restaurant
5616 Leesburg Pike (King St, Rt 7)
Falls Church, VA 22041

Good food and right next to a Shell Station.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Genen8kua » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:31 pm

I'm in. Gene
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:57 am

Sorry guys, I can't make it. Have a great ride!

JimVonBaden

Postby EricS » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:30 am

I'm in.

Jim, sorry you can't make it, was looking forward to meeting you.

Eric
Eric S.
2009 K1300GT Red
EricS

Postby bdimon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:05 pm

That was fun. Ten of us met for Breakfast at City Diner and eight of us went for the ride. We headed toward DC on Columbia Pike and turned left at the Pentagon to join up with the George Washington Parkway. I love the GW Parkway. I think it’s the only road inside the Beltway with scenic overlooks. After the Parkway ended at the Beltway, we slipped onto Old Georgetown Pike which was the first scenic byway in Virginia. At least that is what the sign said.
There is no way to get from Great Falls to the other side of Leesburg without spending a little time on Route 7 but we kept it down to just a few miles. Cascade Parkway and Loudoun County Parkway got us past the suburban sprawl. When we turned onto Red Hill Road (617) I thought that we were getting into the good stuff.
Now, I don’t spend a lot a time poring over satellite map pictures to find good roads. I mostly just enter my destination into my GPS and tap the “Winding Roads” route button. Of course I set the options to avoid dirt roads and it will warn me if it thinks I chose one. Unfortunately, TomTom’s knowledge of dirt surfaces has some gaps. When Red Hill Road turned from paved to dirt, I decided against a U-turn and decided we were adventurous enough to go through. After all, we had two GS bikes in our group and one of them was brand-new; its tires had never touched dirt! That’s the reason to include a few miles of dirt in a club ride, to prove our adventurous spirit. We won’t admit that I blindly go wherever my GPS points me.
The really good stuff started past Aldie when we turned onto Snickersville Turnpike. It’s got to be one of the prettiest roads in Virginia’s horse country. Sam Fred Road detoured us into Middleburg for a short break. The place was mostly empty as you expect on a holiday. We wiggled north on Foxcroft Road past more country estates that none of us could ever afford. If I did have that much money, I don’t think I would want to bother with horses. Now a small motocross track would look really nice tucked between the hills.
I’ll make a note to avoid Purcellville next time. The stretch of 25 MPH road is too long and the “special fines enforced” signs too ominous to enjoy its transit. Once past Purcellville, the roads were fun all the way into Brunswick.
Everybody seemed to enjoy the coffee shop in an old church. That is the reason for its name, Beans in the Belfry. The ham and bean soup was outstanding, the latte was foamy and delicious, and the apple caramel pie sinfully yummy. I’m sure it will be on many more club rides, especially if people trust me to be in the lead.

View Larger Map
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby eap » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks for leading us again Bruce! The dirt road was most enjoyable by many :) ...

Fun to note that the MD riders outnumbered the VA riders.

Have to remember to subtract today's 164 smiles from my 2015 year end Smileage.

Nice meeting Club newbies Phil (?) airhead rider for breakfast and Jim (2015 GS wethead for breakfast and ride). Wes came to eat and send us off!

JVB got some 'splaining to do :)

Eric (good to see you) and Jose, you dudes gotta get heated gear Brrrrr, temps peaked @ 41F.

Happy New Year to all!
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby bdimon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:29 pm

eap wrote:JVB got some 'splaining to do :)

I propose the club do a New Year's Day ride every year. We can call it the "Search for JVB" ride. :lol:

Jim, if you miss it next year, we will ride to your house and throw Egg McMuffins at you. :wink:
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby Gtr » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:06 am

Gents,

Great ride yesterday and it was a real pleasure meeting the group. Special thanks to Bruce for leading the parade and accepting my bribe to work some "dirt" into the route (sorry Bruce...had to confess) so I could cristen my GS :---)

Jim
Gtr

Postby EricS » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:53 am

Agreed that the New Year's Day ride was great. I left my home in Laurel at about 6:45 in the dark. Starting temp was 37 degrees and as Ed pointed out...no heated gear but at least heated grips and seat on my K1300GT. I had on enough layers to be perfectly comfortable for my trip down I-95 to the BW parkway and cut through DC on I-395. I will say that if I make a regular habit of cold weather riding heated gear is in my future. The sun was just coming up as I crossed the 11th street bridge treating me to an impressive view of our nation's Capitol. Greatest country on earth!!

I made it to the breakfast meet up with plenty of extra time to top off my fuel tank to be ready for the group ride and explore the area a little bit without the usual ever present traffic the area is famous for.

Bruce, thanks for leading our group, and keeping us safely together trough a number of traffic light separations. The short jaunt of gravel road was a bit of a surprise but manageable. Since the road had been recently graded, there weren't any potholes to deal with. I did hear a number of rocks shoot of my touring tires into the woods!!! Also, thanks for posting the ride route map. During the ride I pretty much had no idea of where I was...it was great having a knowledgable local feeding my need for fun roads.

Both breakfast and lunch choices were great and the social chit-chat made it even better.

Everyone have a happy and safe new year!!
Eric S.
2009 K1300GT Red
EricS

Postby jcabiles » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:55 am

I posted pics from the ride on my FB page. they are public. Just look me up. Jose C. Abiles.

Thanks for leading the ride Bruce and it was nice meeting some new riders/members.

And I second making a New Years ride an annual event.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:46 pm

Sorry guys. The New Years Eve Party ran very late, and I had to jump a plane to London at 4:30.

JimVonBaden

Previous

Return to Organize a Ride!