97 K11LT problem - fuel??

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

97 K11LT problem - fuel??

Postby owls1 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:44 am

Have K11LT. 40k miles, never missed a beat - till now. Battery died. Replaced with new Odyssey and replaced air and fuel filter at same time. On initial start, all normal EXCEPT heard groan sound after fuel pump cycled. Does this every time I turn the key. Starts and idles fine while on high idle. When warm and with choke off, idle is low and sometimes drops to about 500rpm. Doesn't stall, but seems on the verge.

While running, it hesitates badly at constant speed requiring additional throttle to maintain speed. Feels as though fuel pump is cutting out, yet checks of connections and continuity are good and fuel pump seems to check out fine as does fuel filter, fuel pump filter sock, and all in-tank hoses.

My only thought at this point is failed fuel pressure regulator which may account for the groan sound after fuel pump cycling.

Any thoughts, suggestions, related experience would be greatly appreciated as this is my daily commuter ride!
owls1

Fuel filter/pump

Postby Karl » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:49 pm

I would check the fuel filter to ensure that is installed correctly. Or possibly that is bad. I think the groan might be pressure building up. You might consider posting this question on the K11 owners group web site located here:

http://www.k11og.org
Karl

Postby ShadeTree » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:24 pm

Thanks, Karl. I will try the K11 link.

Some additional info - removed tank and checked relays - 'groan' is coming from fuel pump relay - occurs after fuel pump cycles. Swapped relays with fan relay (all same relay) and same result - with or without fuel pump connected. On recommendation from Charlie at Morton's, disconnected Motronic control box - waited for several seconds, and reconnected - no change. Inspected fuel lines inside and outside tank, checked tank electrical connections and continuity to fuel pump - all good. Cleaned ground lugs and refastened. Still same result.

Thoughts now are fuel pressure regulator or possibly throttle switch - what is bothering me is why the problem suddenly appeared after changing battery and filters.
ShadeTree

Postby ShadeTree » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:31 pm

After a lot of troubleshooting, I found the problem!! Checked fuel pressures while riding the bike with a fuel tester connected - right on the mark. Checked throttle positon sensor settings and continuity to the Motronic unit - all good. Then I checked the continuity of the ground connection from the Motronic unit to battery negative - turns out that the connection was bad - looks like I disturbed the terminal connector on the ground wire at the back of the Motronic unit when I disconnected it to install the new battery. New terminal crimped on the wire and all is well.

Thanks for thoughts and suggestions - and yes, it does pay to be persistant and methodical when troubleshooting! Saved me a trip to Mortons and a chuckle from Charlie.
ShadeTree

Return to Tech