Airhead Steering Head Bearings

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Airhead Steering Head Bearings

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:57 pm

Any gearheads out there have any tips for removing the upper and lower bearing races in a '75 R75/6 steering head?
I decided to get rid of the notchiness and do the job myself this time. Dealer did it back in the late 80's and now with over 214,000 miles it needs it again. What's up with that? :wink:

Thanks,
Mark

Postby Anton » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:12 am

Trying to do it with ordinary tools is a real PITA. I've done this two ways:

1) make a drift and tap them out. You need to hook the end a bit and grind a sharp edge of the correct radius so you can get under the very small exposed edge of the race.

2) Beg, borrow or buy the correct bearing puller. Kukko makes the one you want, although I think you can also buy a tool from Ed Korn.

The K75 and K100 have a gap in the race seat to simplify tapping the race out, but this was never implemented on the airheads. Some people grind these slots into their Airheads at the first opportunity.
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Postby Anton » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:01 pm

Actually there *are* other ways to do it. One is taking a Dremel tool to the inner race and loosening it up (never done it, don't want to try, but others have) and the other is hitting it with a welder. Welding a bead on the inside of it shrinks the race enough to let you tap it out easily (or even just lift it out). You can weld a handle to it for assistance.

But, assuming you have only regular hand tools at your disposal, I'd let someone with the right puller help you (BTW I have that). Where are you?
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Postby mestes843@comcast.net » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:34 pm

Hi Anton, thanks for the tips.

After trying with a conventional internal bearing puller (not enough lip) I went at it with the dremmel and cut them out. It took a while, but it did the job.

Thanks again.

Mark Estes
mestes843@comcast.net

Return to Tech