fuel issue

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

fuel issue

Postby grownup » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:03 am

Hi, I had my R1150 Forks and Ohlin shocks rebuilt recently. Upon starting the bike to take it to the suspension shop, I was in 2-3 miles on reserve. I rode the bike 15 mile on reserve to the suspension shop. Before dropping the bike off, I put in 2 gallons of gas in. The bike sat for a week before it was started again. But, wouldnt start.I was told the bike would start on starter fluid, but the suspenion guy thought the injectors were not firing. I had AMA tow the bike home. I removed the tank. I checked wires. The electrical stuff looks good. A 9v battery will cause both injectors to fire. But, it appears I have no fuel pressure. How do I tell if the the fuel lines got put on backwards ? Doees someone have a diagram of how the fuel lines are routed to the fuel regulator ? I repaced the fuel lines just in case on got damaged. My fuel pump seems to make a spinning noise, but the filterr could also be gummed up with an additive or bad fuel.
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
2016 S1000 XR ( 1 BTC Bike )
grownup

Re: fuel issue

Postby grownup » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:28 pm

It appears the high pressure output is on the front highest point on the RT tank while the high pressure input to the fuel regulator is the lowest point on the regulator feeds. Does that sound right ? Anyways 0 PSI means no fuel or no pressure. I have 0 PSI so, I ordered an aftermarket fuel pump from beemer boneyard. The stock fuel pump is twice the price.
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
grownup

Postby Chiba » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Do you have access to a Haynes or Clymer manual for your bike? That might have a photo you could go by to figure out if the hoses are on properly.

Also, starter fluid? In a fuel injected bike? I've heard of using it with carbureted motorcycles, sure, but FI bikes have computers & what-not to manage the fuel-air mixture and, while I'm no expert, I don't think starter fluid would do much good. I might be tempted not to go back to that shop in the future, especially if my bike ran when I dropped it off and didn't run when I picked it up.

At any rate - good luck!
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby grownup » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:37 pm

He probably didn't use starter fluid, but he sprayed something in the combusion chamber and had it run.
It was a suspension guy that specializes in sport bikes, so I just think it was a coincidence. I kind of knew my fuel pump was dying for a few months. I was subconciously filling my tank before way before I ever ot to reserve for months.
As for the routing of the fuel line, I think I got it right now. I have the hayes and clymer manuals and saw nothing about how the fuel lines are supposed to be routed. I had to use the internet.
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
grownup

Return to Tech