R1150RS handlebar height

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

R1150RS handlebar height

Postby mczink » Tue May 13, 2003 9:59 am

Hi Everyone - hope someone out there can help me. I am a new owner of an R1150RS (2003). On long trips, I find that my hands are going to sleep or feeling tingly, and my back is a bit uncomfortable. I think it would help if the handlebars were a little higher and a little closer to me. I already have the longest barbaks that you can get and they don't make me quite as upright as I wish to be. Anyone have any suggestions?

On Bob's advice, I went to Pirate's Lair, and couldn't find anything. They suggested that I go to www.verholen.de and look there, but it is mostly in German, so I didn't have much luck. Anyone speak German who could look there for me?

There is supposed to be a new set of handlebars coming out that are higher, from Pirate's Lair, but no time soon. I am going on a 3 week trip to the Canadian Rockies this July and sure would like to have this solved by then.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Chris Zink
mczink

R1150 Handlebar Height

Postby jweicht » Tue May 13, 2003 8:18 pm

Hi Chris. I don't have a direct answer for you, but suggest that you pose this question on the R1100RS/R1150RS Forum at the following address:

http://www.employees.org/~tw/rrs/ib219/ ... nboard.cgi

Many good folks from around the world frequent this forum, and if there is an answer for you, someone here will probably come through for you.

Good luck.

John Weicht
jweicht

Postby mczink » Tue May 13, 2003 9:14 pm

Thanks, I just did that. (but don't let that stop any of you other folks from posting a reply if you have more information!)

Chris Zink :)
mczink

Bar backs

Postby Alan Browne » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:37 am

Rather a long URL but english page at Verholen site.

http://shop.tecodata.de/shop.asp?SID=10 ... uppenid=34

Dosen't Bob's BMW offer bar backs anymore? In '95 I put a set on my wifes R11RS, with the GS brake line and all is well.

Al
Alan Browne

Postby mczink » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:55 pm

Yes, Bob's still has bar-backs, and I have them on my bike. I just need a little more length than the longest ones.

Chris Zink
mczink

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:17 am

mczink wrote:Yes, Bob's still has bar-backs, and I have them on my bike. I just need a little more length than the longest ones.

Chris Zink

chris, i think since you install the bar back or handle bar risers as it is known, you can;t do anything much if it is still falling short of your desirable reach.
i would suggest you install a "cruise-control" which is just a smart gadget to "lock" your throttle speed. it can be switch off pretty fast in emergency when you want to gain manual speed control. it will helps in such a way that you can........ ride with only your left hand, or only your ride at desirable speed on clear highways or roads. but not to take for granted if the traffic is heavy.
if it still doesn't works, the best is to stop your bike to take 5' or stop for coffee or petrol. trust me the latter is the best solution.
safe riding, asian rider.

Postby mczink » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:46 am

Just got back from a 2500-mile trip across the Canadian Rockies and back - the most beautiful place in the world, bar none.

I did use the throttle control and it was very helpful, though not perfect (am I a perfectionist?).

Has anyone had experience adding helibars to their bike?

Chris Zink
mczink

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:49 am

[quote="mczink"]Just got back from a 2500-mile trip across the Canadian Rockies and back - the most beautiful place in the world, bar none.

I did use the throttle control and it was very helpful, though not perfect (am I a perfectionist?).

Has anyone had experience adding helibars to their bike?

helibars on your 1150R? what type of helibars exactly? what i think you can do is to install a wider handle bar with bar risers. cos usually wider handle bar provide better handling and the bar risers helps to bring the handle closer to you to provide a more upright riding position. if you have the chance or when you go in for your nxt service, ask for a test ride on a R1150GS and you'll know and feel what i mean.

ps:i have a friend who installs a MX handle bar on his Honda Super Four and i rode it and it proves better handling and control.

safe riding, singapore rider

Re: R1150RS handlebar height

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:11 pm

mczink wrote:Hi Everyone - hope someone out there can help me. I am a new owner of an R1150RS (2003). On long trips, I find that my hands are going to sleep or feeling tingly, and my back is a bit uncomfortable. I think it would help if the handlebars were a little higher and a little closer to me. I already have the longest barbaks that you can get and they don't make me quite as upright as I wish to be. Anyone have any suggestions?

On Bob's advice, I went to Pirate's Lair, and couldn't find anything. They suggested that I go to www.verholen.de and look there, but it is mostly in German, so I didn't have much luck. Anyone speak German who could look there for me?

There is supposed to be a new set of handlebars coming out that are higher, from Pirate's Lair, but no time soon. I am going on a 3 week trip to the Canadian Rockies this July and sure would like to have this solved by then.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Chris Zink

Way late I know. But I have had this same problem on different bikes in the past, and my K75 now. I found that it is often in the angle that I grip the bars, and how hard I grip them, that makes my hands go numb. For me it is usually the throttle hand, and it helps to straighten the fingers out and move the thumb to the top of the grip (palming the throttle) for a minute every one in a while. Cruise control helps too. :D

Jim
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to Tech