Tires

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Tires

Postby censor46 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:44 pm

Interested in all opinions concerning tires specifically in the sport/touring class. My tires are getting close to replacement time and I want to make an informed decision.

censor46@hotmail.com

silver 2003 R1150RT
censor46

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:41 pm

Michelin Pilot Road's are a great sport/touring tire. They're even pretty good when wet. Avon also makes a tire, the name is escaping me now, but the center of the tire is a harder compound than the sides, for those extended highway trips.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:28 pm

I recently put on a set of Metz ME330/550 on my K75. It's a stickier compound than the Metzeler ME33/55 set up I had been using. Had tried an 880 as well. Hated it.

These are great in wet weather. I feel more comfortable and confident on these than with any other Metz. I've heard reports of short life on them, but I haven't sene it yet. Just cleared 2300 miles on this set, and they are holding up much better than I expected.

http://www.metzelermoto.com/metzeler_fu ... .asp?id=54

Postby Anton » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:28 am

I have tried a number of tires on my R1100RS.

Bridgestone BT-020 - the "old faithful." Decent tires, good grip in all conditions, typical wear pattern. When I don't want to try something new, I order these.

Metzeler MEZ4 - I don't like them, but others do. Good tread life, but the steering is (to me) heavy and it gets heavier quickly as the front tire wears. I'm particularly sensitive to handling issues, though.

Metzeler ME-880 - Probably the best treadlife (this is the tire from the LT) but not so much better than anything else. The front tire was scary in its lack of straight-line braking traction on some surfaces. I'd use another rear, but never again another front.

Michelin 90x/100x - I really liked these tires a lot on a demo bike I rode, and put a set on my RS last time. Unfortunately I never got to ride them - I lent the bike to a friend and he used the tires right up - but he thought they were just fine. :) Apparently these are discontinued and are now named something like "Pilot Road."
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Return to Tech