VR vs. HR Rating of 'Tourance' Tire

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

VR vs. HR Rating of 'Tourance' Tire

Postby Ken-WVHills » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:39 am

Dohhh, probably a stoopid question, but I went to order new Tourances for the 1150GS this morning from SWMototire and see that there is a VR and an HR rating for the same size front and rears. What is the difference and what should I be looking at? Thanks.
Ken-WVHills

Re: VR vs. HR Rating of 'Tourance' Tire

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:50 am

Ken-WVHills wrote:Dohhh, probably a stoopid question, but I went to order new Tourances for the 1150GS this morning from SWMototire and see that there is a VR and an HR rating for the same size front and rears. What is the difference and what should I be looking at? Thanks.

Speed ratings. HR is up to 125 MPH, and VR is up to 145 MPH.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Ken-WVHills » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:56 am

Thanks, Jim. That said, given that my top speed will never be over 125mph, is there any advantages such as wear, handling etc that would favor paying the few bucks extra and going with the VR rating?
Ken-WVHills

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:00 am

Ken-WVHills wrote:Thanks, Jim. That said, given that my top speed will never be over 125mph, is there any advantages such as wear, handling etc that would favor paying the few bucks extra and going with the VR rating?

Mostly it is just a materials issue. I doubt you would notice a handling or mileage difference with either tire. That said, I would guess that the V rated tire would be just ever so slightly stiffer. But still, I doubt you would notice.

Go with the less expensive version.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby jweicht » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:46 am

The Tourances I had on my GS worked great while playing in the NW Arkansas twisties last year. First time I went past the edge of my tire's tread, and they stuck like glue while still giving about 12k miles of service. The front was cupped badly toward the end, inducing a headshake upon deceleration.

Next month the S gets it's turn in the Ozarks.
jweicht

Return to Tech