Oil Consumption

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Oil Consumption

Postby censor46 » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:11 am

My 2003 R1150RT seems to use about half a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so. My dealer (Trans Am Cycles, Lititz, PA) told me that that is not unusual during the break-in period. The bike now has 4000 miles on it and the consumption has not decreased. Will it magically stop using oil at 6000 miles or should I demand closer attention from the dealer? I know the routine for checking the oil so I am fairly confident that my checks are accurate. I have read that some oil consumption is normal during the break-in period, but it is annoying. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

censor46@hotmail.com

Silver 2003 R1150RT
censor46

Oil

Postby Karl » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:43 pm

I have a 2003 also with about 7K on it. I am still consuming oil. It has decreased, just slighlty, from the amount that you mention. I too have been told that is normal, but not only from the wrench at the dealer, but several friends.

I would not worry about it. I'm not going to worry about it unless it continues after 10K.
Karl

Oil consumption

Postby MrE » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:37 am

I have heard people say that their R bikes used oil until 15 or 20k. I have also heard people say that their bikes used oil until they took a major trip were they were riding hard for several days straight.

My GS has 30k and still uses some. It always has.
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby censor46 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:15 pm

Thanks for the info. I feel better knowing that it is a common occurence. Otherwise the bike runs great.

censor46@hotmail.com

Silver 2003 R1150RT
censor46

Return to Tech