Front Brake Line

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Front Brake Line

Postby The Dude! » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:04 am

Ok, need a new front brake line for the 98 GS(ABS). Just the piece that connects from the resevoir to the frame mount. About 8" long. Where is the cheapest place to get this?? C'mon Jim. I know you're awake.
The Dude!

Re: Front Brake Line

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:41 am

Slag wrote:Ok, need a new front brake line for the 98 GS(ABS). Just the piece that connects from the resevoir to the frame mount. About 8" long. Where is the cheapest place to get this?? C'mon Jim. I know you're awake.

I am always awake. You can order it from "Max BMW" They give a 20% discount, and very fast service.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby The Dude! » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:41 am

How do you get a 20% discount??
The Dude!

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:43 am

Slag wrote:How do you get a 20% discount??

When you order it is automatic. They give it to everyone.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby The Dude! » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:32 pm

Should be here Saturday, so I'm thinking of having my own private tech day. Have no facilities, but I've lived in the woods, so the woods can be my garage. Replacing crankcase pulley oil seal, front brake line, and air filter (DAMN YE MICE!!)
The Dude!

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:35 am

Slag wrote:Should be here Saturday, so I'm thinking of having my own private tech day. Have no facilities, but I've lived in the woods, so the woods can be my garage. Replacing crankcase pulley oil seal, front brake line, and air filter (DAMN YE MICE!!)

That reminds me, I need to change my air filter too.

The brake line is easy, the filter very easy, and the oil seal can be tough. Depends on which one you are changing. The inner one is a lot of work, the outer one not bad.

I need to change mine as well.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby The Dude! » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:34 pm

hmm, not positive the stuff will get here sat morning, but if it does i might be able to talk myself into a garage (house-attached, not shop). You interested?

And yeah, outer seal.
The Dude!

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:39 pm

Slag wrote:hmm, not positive the stuff will get here sat morning, but if it does i might be able to talk myself into a garage (house-attached, not shop). You interested?

And yeah, outer seal.

Yeah, but get your bike there early, I don't want to miss out becuase it is snowing on you! :lol:

BTW Bring at least 3 containers of brake fluid and a bucket to catch it in.

If you like you can come over and get my bike lift. It should work with your GS.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby The Dude! » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:59 pm

Ok, not sure I have the front line entirely bled. I can hammer the handle all the way back and still not kick the ABS on. Going to try some more tonight I guess. RAn a full bottle of Fluid thru tho... hmmm.

BTW ,with the K&N Air Filter I can bring the front end up without clutching now. Nice.
The Dude!

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:05 pm

Slag wrote:Ok, not sure I have the front line entirely bled. I can hammer the handle all the way back and still not kick the ABS on. Going to try some more tonight I guess. RAn a full bottle of Fluid thru tho... hmmm.

BTW ,with the K&N Air Filter I can bring the front end up without clutching now. Nice.
Mike and I ran through a bottle and a half on my KLR before we finally got it bled. I had forgotten the easiest trick, which Mike reminded me of.

Place a half used bottle on the ground, run a tube from the bleeder to the bottle and make sure the tub is under the fluid level, bleeder open, pump the brakes and keep the resevoir full. Within a couple min all air will be gone. It may take a couple small bottles of fluid, but at $.99 it is a cheap way to do it. When no more air is leaving the line, hold the handle closed and tighten the bleeder. Pump it up, and bleed normally a couple times and you are done.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby The Dude! » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:06 pm

99 cents?? You aren't using the BMW brake fluid at $4 a bottle.
The Dude!

Postby The Dude! » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:08 pm

Oh, and BTW, I like the vacuum pump, but I don't have one and they're $40. But you apply a vacuum, top of the resevoir, open the bleeder screw, then just concentrate on keeping the resevoir topped off. Goes alot faster and since it's a fluid movement (pun intended) the air - IMHO - bleeds faster than pumping.
The Dude!

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:11 pm

Slag wrote:Oh, and BTW, I like the vacuum pump, but I don't have one and they're $40. But you apply a vacuum, top of the resevoir, open the bleeder screw, then just concentrate on keeping the resevoir topped off. Goes alot faster and since it's a fluid movement (pun intended) the air - IMHO - bleeds faster than pumping.

Sure it is, but you don't need it. My fluid was changed in 5 min with my method. Yes, I use DOT 3 from walmart at $.99. :lol:

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Return to Tech