Tires and Where to Install

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Postby jweicht » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:52 am

GaryIF wrote:
Now here's the world's dumbest question. The plastic rim protector -- is that something purchasable along with MC tire irons?

The marcparnes wheel balancer for the RT is $175. What do shops typically charge to computer balance a motorcycle wheel?

Here's the type rim protectors that I use. I can't remember where I bought mine years ago but they should be readily available: http://www.hitecmoto.co.uk/tools/rim%20protectors.htm

I also keep handy some corner pieces cut from plastic milk jugs to supplement the two rim protectors that I have. They work well, too, but are just a lot more flimsy than the thick, sturdy protectors.

I didn't realize that the price for Marc's balancer had climbed so high. I bought mine for about $95 years ago, and as I change and balance 4 to 6 tires a year it has definitely paid for itself. I think I used to pay $10 or $12 per tire balance to a local shop before buying this one, not to mention the time wasted driving to the shop.
jweicht

Postby GaryIF » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:35 am

jweicht wrote:I didn't realize that the price for Marc's balancer had climbed so high. I bought mine for about $95 years ago, and as I change and balance 4 to 6 tires a year it has definitely paid for itself. I think I used to pay $10 or $12 per tire balance to a local shop before buying this one, not to mention the time wasted driving to the shop.

The steeper price (vs. $100 for all his other wheel balancers) is because of the adapter required for the side-arm mounted rear wheel. Despite the steep price, I may go for it, both for the satisfaction of knowing the result is spot on and, above all, the convenience of being able to do it at 10 pm when I have that spare hour in the day.

Thanks for the info on the wheel protectors.
Gary
GaryIF

Postby Kres » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:43 am

Hmmmm.... Marketing question:

If you found a place that would let you order tires or walk in with your own, as well as had "stalls" available with access to tools like balancers etc for $10-$20 bucks an hour would you try it?

What if there also was the option to have the store mount and balance for $25 a tire?

Of course I'm up to something, but I'm asking on this thread cause even getting Motorcycle tires in this area and not getting hit with a 20% "motorcycle" tax is a difficult thing. Tires are just a PITA to deal with. I mean DAMN, $40 buck to mount a stinkn tire??!? Yeeeeesh! :roll:
-Kres
Kres
My other bike is a station wagon

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:38 pm

Kres wrote:Hmmmm.... Marketing question:

If you found a place that would let you order tires or walk in with your own, as well as had "stalls" available with access to tools like balancers etc for $10-$20 bucks an hour would you try it?

What if there also was the option to have the store mount and balance for $25 a tire?

Of course I'm up to something, but I'm asking on this thread cause even getting Motorcycle tires in this area and not getting hit with a 20% "motorcycle" tax is a difficult thing. Tires are just a PITA to deal with. I mean DAMN, $40 buck to mount a stinkn tire??!? Yeeeeesh! :roll:

You been talking to Frank?

If there was a place that did it, on the bike, for 25, I would pay rather than do it. It is pretty hard work.

Jim 8)

PS I have a tire changer! Need a partner? :lol:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby jweicht » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:33 pm

GaryIF wrote: The steeper price (vs. $100 for all his other wheel balancers) is because of the adapter required for the side-arm mounted rear wheel.

I just took a look at Marc Barnes website again, and I think you're looking at the wrong part, Gary. His P/N BML for $105 is what I have (an older version, though) - this is what you need for R1100/1150 series Paralever rear wheels (I've used it on my RS, GS, and S fronts and rears). The $175 P/N BG-12 is for the new style wheel/final drive (with the big hole thru the middle) on the R1200GS/RT/ST. Gets better all the time, doesn't it? Of course, if in doubt just e-mail Marc from his website for the whole scoop.
jweicht

Postby GaryIF » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:33 am

Kres wrote:Hmmmm.... Marketing question:

If you found a place that would let you order tires or walk in with your own, as well as had "stalls" available with access to tools like balancers etc for $10-$20 bucks an hour would you try it? :roll:

I'm there. I do everything mechanical I can, the breaking point always being a function of the tool or equipment required, sooner than skill. Not bragging. I'm an average wrencher with above average tenacity.

Yep -- if there were a rent-a-bay with tools available and the hours were "gotta-full-time-job-elsewhere" friendly, I'd use it.

In the meantime, I'm going back to the marcparnes site to see what I missed on the price.

This forum rocks.
Gary
GaryIF

Postby marcparnes » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:17 pm

jweicht wrote:
GaryIF wrote: The steeper price (vs. $100 for all his other wheel balancers) is because of the adapter required for the side-arm mounted rear wheel.

I just took a look at Marc Barnes website again, and I think you're looking at the wrong part, Gary. His P/N BML for $105 is what I have (an older version, though) - this is what you need for R1100/1150 series Paralever rear wheels (I've used it on my RS, GS, and S fronts and rears). The $175 P/N BG-12 is for the new style wheel/final drive (with the big hole thru the middle) on the R1200GS/RT/ST. Gets better all the time, doesn't it? Of course, if in doubt just e-mail Marc from his website for the whole scoop.

Hi Guys,
Thank you for correcting my balancer pricing. Much appreciated! The new style rear wheel necessitates using a large adapter which bolts to the wheel hub. It in turn fits on my standard axle. The new wheel hub is so thin that the use of cones to support it isn't possible hence the big adapter. The kit for the new style includes two universal cones for the front wheel as well as the adapter. I'm also shipping an upgrade kit that consists of just what is necessary to balance a new style wheel on one of my existing balancers. For those with a BMW balancer it includes one standard cone and the new adapter. The price is $75 including shipping.

Thanks again,
Marc
marcparnes

Postby jweicht » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:16 pm

Welcome to the forum, Marc. I've been extolling the virtues of your excellent balancer on a number of forums for quite some time, and am expecting the commission checks to start rolling in any time now. Of course, deciphering the part numbering system should be worth a little extra also. Just let me know when you need my mailing address... :D
jweicht

Tires and Where to install

Postby Star-Bellied Sneetch » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:09 pm

"Tires and where to install"

????

On the rims, of course. Duh.
Star-Bellied Sneetch

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:30 pm

I looked at this picture several times before I realized it was a motorcycle. Looks like a Mayan god or something if you don't really look at it! :lol:

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Glockenspiel » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:58 pm

JVonBaden wrote:Image

I looked at this picture several times before I realized it was a motorcycle. Looks like a Mayan god or something if you don't really look at it! :lol:

Jim 8)

same here. kinda creepy.
Glockenspiel

Postby Unity » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:32 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
JVonBaden wrote:Image

Jim 8)

same here. kinda creepy.

I thought it was a Marine DI. :P

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Unity » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:10 pm

Then there's the '58 Pontiac . . .

--John 8)
(Yeah, I know, a lot more subdude.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby guitardad » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:48 pm

Unity wrote:(Yeah, I know, a lot more subdude.)

???????????
How many appletinis have you had, John?
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby Unity » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:45 pm

guitardad wrote:
Unity wrote:(Yeah, I know, a lot more subdude.)

???????????
How many appletinis have you had, John?

Ya gotta remember, I don't drink. :D

It's just a play on words, Chaz -- jweicht's nicely composed avatar looks like some kind of dude, and the Pontiac, while still dudeish, looks less so. :roll:

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

PreviousNext

Return to Tech