More Memphis rides

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

More Memphis rides

Postby RocketMan » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:05 am

Got in a few more rides this Nov this time heading more toward the north-east from the house and one more over to Shelby Forest, though getting there from home means a lot more traffic and stoplights to deal with. I did find some nice roads north-east within an easy 20 minute ride without much traffic or lights and once past a now upscale town that used to be more rural discovered what looks to be several hundred miles of nice two-lane roads with lots of curves and some hills bigger than speed bumps. Big enough I had to down shift the SR quite a bit to keep it in its sweet spot above 5K. Still its nothing like what I'm used to, good roads in the 100's of miles rather than the 10's of thousands like back home *sigh*. Did find some nice colors (in November ???) only to be told this year was very unusual for such bright colors again *sigh*.

anyway a few pics, first form a ride on the DL west and north toward the Miss river in the Shelby Forest

then a few from my ride on the SR a week later north-east of town and easy to get to roads up toward a small town called Summerville
This road was really nice but some parts were so covered with fresh fallen leaves I wasn't quite sure where the road surface was or wasn't, just steered for where there were no trees and the surface still felt firm and hoped for the best! :lol:

Love old wooden doors, always make for a great photo op

Guess I'm going to have to settle for a lot fewer road options with decent twisty sections and hills of a few 100 feet elevation change for much of my daily riding. its a hard adjustment and not many riders here outside of few groups who seem to spend most o the time getting together for evening drinks and eats. No morning gatherings anywhere I have found as yet and with so few actual riders (as in ACTUALLY riding) not just gathering for chit-chat and talking about riding, trying to start any kind of Bikes & Breakfast event seems unlikely.
Pretty depressing, at least on the event side of things, Oh well, I ride mostly alone anyway these days since its generally spur-of-the-moment and I like getting out early.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: More Memphis rides

Postby Rick F. » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:42 pm

RM,

Great fall colors! This season, I distinguished myself by (i) only getting out once to look for colors, and (ii) neglecting to take my camera or even my cell phone with me!

I'm glad you found some good roads, even if they don't compare well with the Mid-Atlantic area. Keep looking, there are bound to be more.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to General Chat