ATGATT Saved My Life

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

ATGATT Saved My Life

Postby jcabiles » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:54 pm

Some of you already know of my recent motorcycle accident that occurred last week. For the rest of you here is what happened.

At about 1:05 PM, Wednesday, I was headed westbound on Rt 7 in Tyson’s Corner. I was in the right travel lane going about 30 - 35 mph and just went under the Rt 123 overpass, when out of the corner of my left eye I saw a car coming at me. It happened so fast, before I could say “What the”, the car hit me. I didn’t have time to hit the brakes or try to maneuver away from the car.

The car hit the bike around the passenger door area. I immediately went down and must have rolled a few times. The wind got knocked out of me, as I could not breath for what I thought was about 40 seconds. I felt extreme pain in my left chest area and when I finally got my breathing back it was very painful, shallow and labored. Luckily I could feel my extremities and was moving my legs, arms and head. The result of my fall was four broken ribs (left chest) and a two inch circular road rash on my outside right knee.

Almost immediately several people came to my aid and one was identified as a Dr. She took my hand and did her triage thing, asking me my name, age, where I hurt, etc. and reassured me and that help is on it’s way. She stayed with me holding my hand till the EMTs arrived.

Not sure if this was before or after the EMTs arrived, but someone asked about who to notify, so I told them to get my cell from the motorcycle, gave them the access code and asked them to call my daughter, as she was the easiest to notify.

Luckily I was less than half a mile from the Fire Station on Spring Hill Road, and the EMTs were attending to me within five minutes of going down. I wish I could adequately describe the exceptional treatment I received from the FCPS Fire and Rescue, INOVA Fairfax ER Staff and the Trauma Ward Staff. Everyone in the line of care did a wonderful job and I am forever grateful.

The unfortunate part of this incident is that the offending driver was not charged. His statement to the Officer basically was that he was in his lane when the accident occurred. There were two “witnesses” who reported to the Officer but they could only report the impact and after, and not the key seconds before the impact. There is no doubt in my mind that the other driver changed lanes and struck me.

ATGATT definitely helped my survival, but some things will never mitigate the actions of careless drivers. There was considerable damage to my helmet and riding pants, and my jacket and boots sustained minor scruffing. I do remember the EMT who was attending me, gave me kudos for wearing the right gear. Based on his experience, I think he was surprised how well I came out of the accident.

On a final note, after a week I am doing well. I was released after one night from the Trauma Ward. Breathing is much easier and I try to avoid coughing. After four days I stopped taking oxycodone and am relying on Ibuprofin and a non schedule pain med. My philosophy is that I want so be able to feel some pain; that way I can tell what my body is doing and how well my body is recovering.

So while I recover it looks like I’ll be doing some Binge Watching. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Re: ATGATT Saved My Life

Postby jskene » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:02 am

I'm very sorry to hear about this. Glad to hear that you are recovering. Your experience suggests it might be good practice to do as many Russian drivers now do, which is to have a video camera running full-time for post-accident analysis.

I have had cracked ribs on several occasions and the recovery lends itself well to binge-watching, as you suggest. Just avoid comedies. :D

I agree with you on backing off on the oxycodone. I have a several nearly full prescription bottles left. It's best to feel it a bit so you understnd how not to move.

I guess our Tale of the Dragon excursion will have to wait a while. The temperature will be better in October anyway.
jskene
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:23 pm

Damn man! I am glad you are OK! More or less.

Let me know if you need help with your bike.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby jcabiles » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:13 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Damn man! I am glad you are OK! More or less.

Let me know if you need help with your bike.

I got to look at the bike in the holding lot before it transferred to the MOD. It must have landed on the left side, as the right side looks undamaged.

The left engine guard took a major hit and may have touched the left piston cover. The bottom of the left pannier got damaged. Insurance estimate says the left turn signal got damaged but I did not see it. Insurance came up with $2,100. Awaiting MOD to do their assessment.

Waiting for the one of the insurance reps to give their assessment on my riding gear.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:13 pm

Glad to read you are recovering. When you are better and can attend a meeting or tech day ask me about getting hit by an HOV violater. I second getting off meds .... take it easy
David & Carol
Just finding an excuse to ride
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby eap » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:44 am

Ho Jose! Hope you are recovering well and to see you out on the road soon!
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby jcabiles » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Today is the 5th week since the accident. Relatively pain free. Only a couple spots with a dull pain. Stopped pain meds last week.

Ordered an Aerostich R3 one piece suit the other day. My old jacket is fine but the pants had the zipper break on impact. Will need to order a new helmet later too.

My bike is scheduled to get a thorough check from the service dept at MOD this Thurs. Hopefully it will be back on the road soon.

All things considered, I’m doing fine.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:26 pm

Glad to hear it man! :oops:

JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Back in the saddle next week

Postby jcabiles » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Today my new Aerostich R3 riding suit arrived. I need to test it out on a motorcycle at MOD next Tuesday to make sure the fitment is right. It’s seems to be fine.

Checked with MOD maintenance and my bike is scheduled to have the repair parts installed 22 Aug.

Looking forward to riding again.

P.S. Ribs are fine and no more pain.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:07 pm

FYI.

I posted a recap of my accident from last year to the BMW MOA Forum. Similar to this original post but I added other info some Lessons Learned.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Return to General Chat