Deer hunting

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Postby Hodge Podge » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:12 am

Good ride story! Sounds like a very peaceful time.

By the way that's one helluva smoker - well done! Of course, now I'm hungry and need to go find some good pit beef or ribs for lunch...
mrenloe wrote:Image
Hodge Podge

Postby MrE » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:21 pm

Hodge Podge wrote:Of course, now I'm hungry and need to go find some good pit beef or ribs for lunch...

You aren't in Texas. You are in the east. Pork is king here. Pork. say it with me: P-O-R-K. A nice shoulder smoked over hickory or apple. With a spicy rub. Then basted with a vinegar based sauce. Finally pulled apart (so tender you don't need a knife) and served by itself or on a white bread roll. No whole grain. No potato roll. Just plain white roll. Side of beans and slaw (on the side I said).

Beef consumption should be limited to steaks, burgers and pot roast.

That is all.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby The Dude! » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:27 pm

mrenloe wrote:
Hodge Podge wrote:Of course, now I'm hungry and need to go find some good pit beef or ribs for lunch...

You aren't in Texas. You are in the east. Pork is king here. Pork. say it with me: P-O-R-K. A nice shoulder smoked over hickory or apple. With a spicy rub. Then basted with a vinegar based sauce. Finally pulled apart (so tender you don't need a knife) and served by itself or on a white bread roll. No whole grain. No potato roll. Just plain white roll. Side of beans and slaw (on the side I said).

Beef consumption should be limited to steaks, burgers and pot roast.

That is all.
What about cornbread?? Is VA far enough south for cornbread? If'n so, why can't I find any good cornbread??
The Dude!

Postby MrE » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:30 pm

The Dude! wrote:What about cornbread?? Is VA far enough south for cornbread? If'n so, why can't I find any good cornbread??

In my opinion, I have not had a decent slice of cornbread since I left western NC. Up here they make it too sweet.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Hodge Podge » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:31 pm

True enough, though a good pit beef sammich is a MD staple - "Pit stops" - I'm particularly a fan of Shorty's.

Also a fan of the swine, though I haven't seen pork like you describe north of NC. Guess I need to head over to the "Road Food" forum and see what's up! Love to pursue the DIY route, but my apt building apparently frowns on setting up smokers in the living room...
Hodge Podge

Postby MrE » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:44 pm

Hodge Podge wrote:True enough, though a good pit beef sammich is a MD staple - "Pit stops" - I'm particularly a fan of Shorty's.

Sorry... I forgot you were north of the Potomac. That explains a lot. :shock:
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby MrE » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:55 pm

mrenloe wrote:
The Dude! wrote:What about cornbread?? Is VA far enough south for cornbread? If'n so, why can't I find any good cornbread??

In my opinion, I have not had a decent slice of cornbread since I left western NC. Up here they make it too sweet.

Evidently, I am a liar:
http://www.bmwbmw.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... light=#xxx
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby MrE » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:55 pm

mrenloe wrote:

Evidently, I am a liar:
http://www.bmwbmw.org/bmwforums/viewtop ... ght=#43823
Last edited by MrE on Fri May 16, 2008 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Chiba » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:55 pm

I had EXCELLENT cornbread at a BBQ place in Mineral VA on Saturday. Mineral is s/se of Louisa. Can't vouch for the quality of the pork bbq - I'm a vegetarian! Couldn't eat the green beans, either - they had pork mixed in with them. I think the cole slaw even had chunks of meat in it :)

The cornbread though - really, really good.

Can't recall the name of the shop, but there's only 1 stoplight in Mineral so it's not gonna be hard to find!

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Jager » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:37 pm

Very nice ride report, Mike. Sounded downright mellow. And as a fellow hunter (the title of the thread was what caught my eye), I agree with the rant as well!
Jager

PORK!!

Postby kneeslider » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:32 pm

PORK! Keeps Al Ben Boobie & his kin away too!
kneeslider

Postby MrE » Fri May 16, 2008 6:05 am

Mmmmm...
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby BKling » Fri May 16, 2008 7:15 am

You truly have it bad!!!!! Just remember when the guests arrive and the meat is ready, all juicy and tender, begging to be heaped on someone's plate to be savored a moment or two before leaping onto their anxiously waiting tastebuds, LET THE GUESTS GO FIRST. :roll:
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Ride Stories