Ho To adjust the handlebars on my 1200GS?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Ho To adjust the handlebars on my 1200GS?

Postby chrish » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:04 am

Just returning from Hechlingen for a 2-day Enduro class on Saturday, I have been looking into how to adjust the handlebars and gear selector to fit standing and sitting positions. In the class, the instructor indicated that the only two modifications they made were the gear slector and handlebars positions. There is a bigger gap between the left foot peg and the gear selector to allow for the Enduro style boot to fit in to hook the gear. The handlebars are titled up a little to fit the standing position.

I looked at the handlebars and gear selector on my 1200GS and have some questions:

1. The handlebars seem to be secured by two clamps and threaded. I assume that I can loosen the Torx bolts to adjust the title angle? What is the standard handlebars position or angle?

2. It seems that the mirrors might hit the windscreen when the handlebars are turned to left or right locking position after they are titled up?

3. How do I change the gear selector position?

Thanks for the help!

Chris
'15 S1000RR, '04 Suzuki DR650SE
'12 S1000RR, '09 K1300S,'05 Red R1200GS, 04 Silver RT, HD UltraClassic, HD Road King - Not too long ago
chrish

Re: Ho To adjust the handlebars on my 1200GS?

Postby MrE » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:08 am

chrish wrote:Chris

'05 Red R1200GS

NICE.

Hopefully someone will answer your question soon.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby aaron » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:39 am

. The handlebars seem to be secured by two clamps and threaded. I assume that I can loosen the Torx bolts to adjust the title angle? What is the standard handlebars position or angle?

2. It seems that the mirrors might hit the windscreen when the handlebars are turned to left or right locking position after they are titled up?

For me, the stock bar position (after a couple 600+ mile rides) was not agressive enough on my r1150r, so heres what I did. I loosened the torx bolts, loosened the clutch and brake control housings and positioned the bars where I wanted them. For me, that meant taking them off, reversing them and turning them down, and removing about 2" of bar on each end. Once I had the bar where I wanted, I positioned the controls where they felt comfortable and where I also had stop to stop steering.

I think you should just fool with it until you find a comfy position, obviously you are not going to want to do anything as dramamtic as I but do make sure the steering geometry still feels ok before you go nuts on your GS.

Your mirrors and control housings are infinetly adjustable (watch those cluthc and brake lines though) and you should be able to make minor tweaks to get full turn w/o anything hitting.

Sorry I do not have .02 cents for your other questions.
Aaron

Vespa LX 150 - current
'04 Rockster - sold
Next Bike Pending
aaron
No Longer Illegitimate

Postby chrish » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:18 pm

aaron wrote:
. The handlebars seem to be secured by two clamps and threaded. I assume that I can loosen the Torx bolts to adjust the title angle? What is the standard handlebars position or angle?

For me, the stock bar position (after a couple 600+ mile rides) was not agressive enough on my r1150r, so heres what I did. I loosened the torx bolts, loosened the clutch and brake control housings and positioned the bars where I wanted them. For me, that meant taking them off, reversing them and turning them down, and removing about 2" of bar on each end. Once I had the bar where I wanted, I positioned the controls where they felt comfortable and where I also had stop to stop steering.

I think you should just fool with it until you find a comfy position, obviously you are not going to want to do anything as dramamtic as I but do make sure the steering geometry still feels ok before you go nuts on your GS.

Your mirrors and control housings are infinetly adjustable (watch those cluthc and brake lines though) and you should be able to make minor tweaks to get full turn w/o anything hitting.

Sorry I do not have .02 cents for your other questions.

Adjusted the handlebars and gear selector and will try to ride this Saturday. Will see what happens :lol:

Thanks for the help!

Chris
'15 S1000RR, '04 Suzuki DR650SE
'12 S1000RR, '09 K1300S,'05 Red R1200GS, 04 Silver RT, HD UltraClassic, HD Road King - Not too long ago
chrish

Postby aaron » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:47 pm

You are welcome. Just dont get your Dirtbike too dirty :wink:
Aaron

Vespa LX 150 - current
'04 Rockster - sold
Next Bike Pending
aaron
No Longer Illegitimate

Postby Unity » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:01 pm

chrish wrote:Ho To adjust the handlebars on my 1200GS?

I think you should tell us more about the Ho, and if she does any other kind of mechanical work. :wink:

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Banshee » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:45 pm

Unity wrote:
chrish wrote:Ho To adjust the handlebars on my 1200GS?

I think you should tell us more about the Ho, and if she does any other kind of mechanical work. :wink:

--John 8)

Damnit John you got to it first! :P There was no way I could leave that one alone.
Banshee
Board Wizard

Return to Tech