4 Aug group ride

Tell Us About Your Rides!

4 Aug group ride

Postby Ducfast904 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Fun day today. Little background:
I moved here in late 2008 and made some effort to find riders who enjoyed small group rides and were not "Roger Racer" or "Sally Safety" types. I'm sure many of you know them. Roger Racer can't appreciate the difference between backroads and main street and Sally Safety is more interested in you riding your bike than they are their own. (If you are one of the types, well bless your heart, the world needs one of you).

For me, it never really worked out so I gave up and stayed Solo or rode with old friends when we could meet up out west.

So going on a group ride today I was leery but thanks to Tom, John, Dave and Daniel, it was a great time.
Looking at the GPS tracker, which I started late and ended early, it says 395 miles, so total for me was ~450
(I also had to leave the group around 2:30 and head home)

Tom's route took us from Cracker Barrel in Manassas out 50 with lunch at Elkins, WV. Then south / southeast over roads I've never explored before. There was a section of 250 that actually had me laughing in my helmet it is that fun.

Picture below of the route. My guess is many of you already know the roads just by looking at the picture.

Anyhoo, thanks guys, especially you Tom for putting this together and taking lead. A real pleasure to ride with you guys.
Craig
Attachments
B836DF60-FFEC-4FC1-B513-B42E19A011B7.jpeg
8D5E8290-A28C-4AD6-8FE0-C2EF0659A557.jpeg
65B5275B-79FD-4633-8667-C11B1535E3CF.jpeg
2009 R1200GS, ready to head west.
2017 Aprilia RSV4 RF, ready for a trackday.
Ducfast904

Re: 4 Aug group ride

Postby Delnari » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Craig, it was our pleasure to have you join us for the street ride today. We try and get out at least once a month during the riding season and explore the backroads and twisty bits when possible. You caught most of us today on a cruiser style ride, but we will like for you come alone when we bring our sport touring bikes out to play. Feel free to join us for any of our rides from street (cruiser, sport touring), and dual sport (US National Forests area) rides.

FYI, we are doing a NC/TN ride September 12 through the 15. Jon has rented a large house near the Robbinsville, NC that sleeps 10 guests. Plan is to ride the best mountain roads in Southwest NC and parts of TN (including Tail of the Dragon and Southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway). My wife and I are heading down earlier on Sept 8 with the RV to camp out at Harrison Bay State Park north of Chattanooga, TN for 5 days/nights before heading over to an RV park in Stecoah, NC near the house Jon has rented out. You are welcome to come and join us as there should be room. Look forward to having you join us for future rides, and of course our epic European Alps Adventure next Summer!
2018 KTM 500 EXC-F
2018 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse
Delnari

Re: 4 Aug group ride

Postby Ducfast904 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:29 pm

Tom,
Wow, reads like a great trip and something I want to do but I'll be at sea those days.
I'll have to read about it and mimic it another day.

Looking forward to the next ride!
Craig
2009 R1200GS, ready to head west.
2017 Aprilia RSV4 RF, ready for a trackday.
Ducfast904

Return to Ride Stories