Brake rotor wear, minimum thickness

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Brake rotor wear, minimum thickness

Postby dcgsrider » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:32 am

I have an '09 1200 GS with 55,000 miles on it. I've been noticing a "pulse" in the brake lever during and after my West Coast trip, so I pulled out my micrometer yesterday, and the rotors measured 3.8 and 3.9 mm. There may also be a slight warp or bent in one of the rotors that accounts for the pulse. The pulse is not bad enough to warrant rotor replacement for that alone. BMW spec (stamped on rotor) is 4.0 mm. I have a vague recollection of George mentioning at the Square Root Rally this year that the BMW spec. is conservative. Anyway, just wondering what the consensus is on replacing rotors just a little out of spec. Non-OEM replacements are $400-500.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Re: Brake rotor wear, minimum thickness

Postby biometrics » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Paul,

Like George at BUA, I also believe that the thickness number stamped in the rotors is a conservative one... Before I would replace the rotors I would try removing them and dressing them lightly with a coarse sanding disk... it may be that the rotor surface is actually clogged with brake pad material in varying spots and that is causing the pulse you are experiencing...

Refreshing the rotor surface may give you a few more thousands of miles on those rotors... and if it doesn't work, then you have lost nothing but the time invested... let us know how it goes. If you have a good friend with a machine shop, you might ask him to surface grind a few ten-thousandths off the rotor sides...

-John
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Postby thanatos1224 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:29 pm

I be darn,... I did a quick search and found this thread and bam there was the answer I was looking for. THANK YOU
David & Carol
Just finding an excuse to ride
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby Max » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:04 pm

If they are under stamped value, you are playing with more warping or even lose of brakes due to broken disk. New ones are more durable due to production advancements, Some of them have different cooling holes today. I would advise to change them. Brakes and rubber save lives. DO not machine them or sand them if they are under nominal value. BMW derives those numbers out of years of engineering and tests. If grooves on them are too big, you lose braking surface.
Max

Return to Tech