Advanced Riding Clinic

This forum will primarily be used to share/discuss information primarily related to motorcycle operator health and safety.

Advanced Riding Clinic

Postby Woody » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:03 pm

How to get from “I can’t do it” to “I can do it”? I survived and perversely enjoyed the one day Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic Motorcycle http://www.apexcycleeducation.com/shopc ... ing-Clinic this past Saturday. Our fearless leader Bruce was one of the two excellent instructors. In addition to lessons on positive thinking, the course explained the physics of a modern motorcycle. A motorcycle can proceed down a curved track after its rider has fallen off even faster than other motorcycles because it isn’t hindered by the poor body position of the rider.

Putting theory into practice required repetition and peer encouragement.Thirteen of us took turns doing the exercises in a Woodbridge parking lot around cones. Even the Ducati rider pulled out of some of the sharp turns until he got the hang of it. I got a glimpse of what a good position feels like – becoming one with the motorcycle that performs best at a 45-65 degree lean into a tight turn. Centrifugal force is amazing, as those in an amusement park know. More thrilling is being able to conquer the fear of causing a panic-induced crash. Thanks Bruce, instructor Mike, and Total Control designer Lee Parks!
Woody

Re: Advanced Riding Clinic

Postby bdimon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:31 pm

You're welcome, Woody. The Total Control techniques helped my cornering so much that I can't shut up about them. Keep practicing; it took me a long time to get it right. 8)
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:48 pm

bdimon wrote:You're welcome, Woody. The Total Control techniques helped my cornering so much that I can't shut up about them. Keep practicing; it took me a long time to get it right. 8)

I agree. I have trouble keeping up with Bruce when he leads a ride.

Looks like I need to sign up for a class.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby ERC Scott » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:18 pm

jcabiles wrote:
bdimon wrote:You're welcome, Woody. The Total Control techniques helped my cornering so much that I can't shut up about them. Keep practicing; it took me a long time to get it right. 8)

I agree. I have trouble keeping up with Bruce when he leads a ride.

Looks like I need to sign up for a class.

Better yet, take TC instructor training.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby VaSteve » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:47 am

How much riding experience should someone have before taking something like this? I have been off the bike for a couple of years and was never a hardcore rider. I just bought a new bike and plan to take the BRC refresher in August (need to sign up I suppose). I never really knew (or didn't appreciate) when I used to hang out here more that you could take more than the BRC. My motorcycle learning stopped after that class, which is probably not good. So I'm trying to relearn things. (I'm pretty decent in a car :) )
2004 R1150R Rockster
Past (1980 R65)
VaSteve
Board Guru

Return to Safer Riding