r1200rs brake concern

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

r1200rs brake concern

Postby HMF » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:24 am

I just started feeling a 'click' or 'bump' when applying the brakes of my R1200RS (16,000+ miles) at slow speeds. I imagine this is also happening at higher speeds, but the change in inertia would take place so quickly that it would be hard to feel. I wonder if this is a new or I just noticed it for the first time.
When I checked the brakes, I found play in the front rotor mounts; I can easily rotate both rotors 1-2 mm by hand, clockwise or counterclockwise. The bolts all feel tight although I did not try a torque wrench.
In the end, I'll likely take the bike to Bob's, given that it's under warrantee, but I'm curious if this is a known occurrence with an easy fix...
Thanks,
Henry
HMF

Re: r1200rs brake concern

Postby ERC Scott » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:17 pm

I have an R12RS waterhead with substantially fewer miles than yours. I just went to the garage & checked my RS and have similar rotational play in both front rotors. I then checked my SuperDuke rotors and found similar play with the KTM. I however don't have any pulsation in my brake lever that you report. But if I did have the pulsation the first think I would look into is warped discs. Second thing I'd look at is to check steering head bearings. Also, at 16K of sporty riding you might be needing brake pads - easy to check per owners manual.

In any event, if I did have this occur to my bike (given I have warranty available) is to take it to the dealer. Full disclosure - I'm not too mechanically savvy. See what JVB has to recommend.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:15 pm

I think Scott hit it. Steering head bearings are a little loose. This is a common reaction when this happens.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby HMF » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:16 pm

Thank you, gents.
I too thought of the steering head bearings first, but felt no play. But maybe it's harder to detect than on bicycles, which I used to work on professionally in my (much) younger youth. I am pretty sure it's not warped discs, it just doesn't pulsate like that.
I'll check it out and report back, for the edification of all.
HMF

Postby HMF » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:59 am

The verdict from the pros: brakes are fine, as are the front shocks. Steering head bearing adjustment was ok and there was no damage to same.
Their opinion was that I was feeling the floating front disks coming to rest, which is odd, given that I never noted that previously in 2 years of riding this bike.
In the end, though, the clunk or bump that I was feeling is gone, now that the front end was inspected and steering head reassembled. Which lends support to the idea that the steering head was slightly out of adjustment.
Thank you, Scott and Jim.
HMF

Return to Tech