First Tour of the Alps

Tell Us About Your Rides!

First Tour of the Alps

Postby jracton » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:46 pm

:D So I am getting ready to retire this year and one thing thats been on my personal bucket list for a long time is doing a BMW motorcycle of the Alps. So on June 7, 2017 I am flying out of Dulles in to Munich Germany taking a shuttle to Innsbruck for a 10 Tour through Austria, Switzerland,Italy the back to Innsbruck and fly home . I am supper excited . I just got a GoPro to attach to my helmet so I will have a record of the event any tips on the best way to use to goPro would be appreciated.
I would like to here from anyone who has done the Edelweiss Ultimate Alps tour( any alps tour) with any advise or tips about tour in Europe.
thanks
john
John R Acton
jracton

Re: First Tour of the Alps

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Sounds awesome. I have taken a tour similar, but not on a bike. One day.

Take lots of photos!

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby ERC Scott » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Hey John, great for you! I'm fortunate to have ridden a bunch of Edelweiss tours, including in the Austro-Italian Alps, so it's quite possible I have ridden with one of your guides. They're all personable, but can appear quirky if you're not used to European sensibilities and humor. My thoughts follow:

Buy John Hermann's "Motorcycle Journeys Thru the Alps" (must be in 5th edition by now). This will answer many questions and is great fodder for daydreaming your trip, as Hermann describes in considerable detail the passes, towns etc. you will be hitting. The 200 page Edelweiss booklet has loads of great info, and I think gives great advice as opposed to "marketing speak". Don't hesitate to contact them with any questions. Also, RideADV.com has lots of great advice for overseas tour preparation.

Your tour is rated at 4 stars both for difficulty and riding time (personally, that's the most demanding tour I would take) -- you likely won't have any problems sleeping at night! Be aware that Edelweiss riding pace is quite rapid outside of the towns and thru the passes. If you are not strong in riding switchbacks & hairpins (in traffic) you might seriously consider enrolling in the 1-day Alps Prep Course. That also gives an added day to get acclimated to your bike (if diff than your current ride) It also let's you assess bike condition - it's much easier for them to slap on new tires, etc. at their shop rather than on the road. A Total Control class here in US could be good too. If the tour group pace is too fast (or too slow) to your liking, let the guides know. If one asks they have been known to divide into two groupings -- two-up/sight-seers vs the pinned throttle crowd.

Prepare for weather variation. Make sure you have waterproof gear - it will rain. The high passes will be cold and the valleys can be warm - on the same day. We rode on light snow over Grossglockner Pass in July. I carry rain jacket/pant's and layer them over Gore-Tex for warmth.

The food and beer/wine will be phenomenal. You won't see Starbux or MacDonalds once you leave the airport ;) Eat the local foods - who knew lamb lung stew was delicious!

I plan to be at the club mtg at Battleys and at Bobs Model Launch on 3/25. We can talk then if you want. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby jracton » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Scott
thanks so much for the detailed reply I will pick up a copy of John Hermann's book sounds like it will be a fun read and insightful. I have ask for a R1200RT which is my current ride. And I am a former MSF instructor and have taken the total control class lots of fun! and still ride a lot. So yes I am looking for a challenge I hope i'm up to it. I would enjoy talking with you at the launch at Bobs on the 3/25
john
John R Acton
jracton

Postby helmut » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:05 pm

John, lucky you !

Scott pretty much nailed it I guess....

As for your GoPro: If you put it on top of your helmet following happens:

1.) You look like a tele-tubby
2.) Without remote control you will have a hard time starting and stopping the camera with gloves
3.) You think the camera is on , but it's off, and vice versa
4.) If you have a GoPro remote control, it will run out of juice quick (at least on my Hero3 it does)
5.) Anything past forty miles will give you head drag from the camera
6.) You will be scared to loose the cam with excessive head drag once you hit 90mph
7.) At the end you will turn into a tele-tubby and act like one..... :bump:

I use a GoPro wristband (Hero3) which I wrap around the helmet's chin-bar. This way I have easy access to the on/off/record buttons and a quick check in mirror for blinking LED verifies that the cam is actually recording.
see https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1220866&gclid=CLfP-Ji-6NICFQERaQoddFQJqA&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&A=details&Q= (for Hero 3,4 but NOT Hero5)

If you mount your cam on the bike only use I only use Ram-mounts. The GoPRo mounts are flimsy and you will get a lot of rolling shutter effect. You will get rolloing shutter with the RAM-mounts too, if mounted to the crashbars of a boxer engine. REcord at 60fps to reduce rolling shutter (not necessary when cam is on helmet)

Either way, use your GoPro a lot before the trip, so you know what works and what doesn't.

Have fun! You will.

Here a link to some of my Alps videos: https://vimeo.com/album/2546213

Greets
Helmut
hellebauer who?
helmut

Postby jracton » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Helmut
I check out your pics wow looks like you had a great time and a lot of great shots. Thanks for the tips I am very new to the GoPro I did a helmet mount on the Right side low seem to work well but when I viewed the video it would pause every few seconds then restart again. I'm not sure what the problem is I have to goPro set at 1080 / 60 W
It my just be my Mac book play back any suggestions would be welcome
john
John R Acton
jracton

Postby ERC Scott » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:30 pm

jracton wrote: I would enjoy talking with you at the launch at Bobs on the 3/25 john

John, I will be at Bob's in the Morning on Sat.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby jracton » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:21 pm

ERC
See you their white beard, not much hair on top riding silver R1200RT
john
John R Acton
jracton

Postby ERC Scott » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:53 am

Me - Glasses, salt/pepper hair & beard. Will wear cap with Grossglockner script. Blue/White 12RS. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories