Valve Stem Change.

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Valve Stem Change.

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:19 pm

Not really all that worth a pictorial for most, but some might find it useful, and for some reason, many years ago, I took this set of photos.

Of course the tire needs to be at least half off the rim, though it is possible to do it just breaking the bead on a wider rim. I used a standard stem, but you could also use metal stems as well. I used RUGlyde tire lube to lube the stem, but nearly any lobe, even hand soap, will work.

So, with no more words needed:

Metal valve stem:

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Re: Valve Stem Change.

Postby Chris B » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Nice pics!
I'd like to mention that it's CHEAP insurance to replace the rubber ones every time you replace the tire. I went to check the pressures one day on my K1200LT @ work during lunch only to find the rear tire flat because of a cracked/split valve stem. Luckily I had the resources there to replace it quickly within my lunch break. Would have been a real problem if I hadn't found it until the end of the day.
JM2CW
Chris Barritt
"Those that would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin
Chris B

Postby mlytle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:18 pm

nice pics Jim. agree, cheap insurance. i have had valve stems crack also.
Marshall
92 K75s
94 K75s
09 K1300s
mlytle
Frequent Poster

Postby Rick F. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Jim,

Nice DIY--thanks!

It somehow reminds me of one of my summer jobs back during my college days. I worked in a gas station, changing, repairing, mounting, and balancing tires among many other activities. One night, after a really long and tiring day, a couple of good ol' boys brought in a large pickup truck tire and asked me to just dismount it from the wheel. I knew it was going to be hard to break the bead on the tire--we didn't have a hydraulic tire machine, just one with good old-fashioned levers--but this one was incredibly stubborn, and I tried and tried without success. Eventually one of the guys said, "Ain'tcha gotta let the air out of it first??"

Yep, I was so tired that I'd completely forgotten to take the valve stem out first! It wasn't the only dumb thing I did at the station that summer, but fortunately you learn quickly when you're 19.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:36 pm

It is really a no brainer to get with metal stems, even in your cars if you do not have TPMS.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to Tech