AMA Info on Safe Fuel

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

AMA Info on Safe Fuel

Postby michaelnoyes » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi all...just saw this from AMA and thought I'd pass along:

In an effort to prohibit the availability of E15, a gasoline formulation that contains up to 15 percent ethanol by volume, the American Motorcyclist Association supports U.S. Reps. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) and Peter Welch’s (D-Vt.) H.R. 704, the RFS Reform Act of 2015. The bipartisan bill would amend the Renewable Fuel Standard to recognize market conditions and realities. It will also prohibit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency from allowing the introduction into the marketplace of gasoline blends with more than 10 percent of ethanol by volume.

In other words, E15 will not be permitted if this legislation becomes law.

The AMA has repeatedly expressed concerns to government officials and federal lawmakers about possible damage to motorcycle and all-terrain vehicle fuel systems and engines caused by the inadvertent use of E15 when the new fuel becomes widely available.

In October 2010, the EPA approved E15 for use in model year 2007 and newer light duty vehicles (cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty passenger vehicles). In January 2011, it added model year 2001-2006 light duty vehicles to the approved list.

Passing H.R. 704 will protect the 22 million motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles currently in use on America’s roads and trails (and the riders who depend on their safe operation) from inadvertent misfueling.

Preventing these inadvertent misfuelings has been one of the AMA’s top priorities because motorcycles and ATVs in use today are not designed to run on ethanol blends higher than 10 percent, and many older machines favored by vintage enthusiasts have problems with any ethanol in the fuel. Often, simply using fuel with blends of ethanol over 10 percent can void a manufacturer’s warranty, potentially leaving motorcyclists with thousands of dollars in additional maintenance costs.

We need your help to pass H.R. 704. You can send a prewritten email to your representative immediately by following the “Take Action” option and entering your information. The AMA encourages riders to personalize their message by drawing on their own personal riding experiences.

Re: AMA Info on Safe Fuel

Postby eap » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Here is a balanced article from Popular Mechanics. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a11687/four-things-to-know-about-e15-15096134/

Wes's BTS article a while back also had some good info, but if I remember correctly was supportive of AMA's stance.

If I had an older bike, I would not use it or fuel from a blender pump if I could help it. But it should be not a problem for new bikes IMHO.

Bottom line, just read the label Image
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby GSFun » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:50 pm

I've been wondering what was going to happen in this area. Great articles!
Shannon Krammes
2011 G650GS
BMWBMW Membership Chair
membership@bmwbmw.org

-- Making BMWBMW a club of the members, by the members, for the members!!!
GSFun
Board Guru

Postby Chiba » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:35 am

eap wrote:Wes's BTS article a while back also had some good info, but if I remember correctly was supportive of AMA's stance.

That's correct, it's one of the few issues on which I agree with the AMA.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Return to Government Affairs