Replaced my OEM ESA shocks with Ohlins TTX

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Replaced my OEM ESA shocks with Ohlins TTX

Postby Janitor » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Replaced my OEM ESA shocks with Ohlins TTX series. Also replaced the plastic fuel line connectors with the metal ones from Beemer Boneyard , and added the fuel pump flange clamp to keep the flange from cracking/leaking fuel, also from Beemer Boneyard.

Replacing the fuel line connectors was fairly easy as was adding the fuel pump flange clamp. I'm glad to have these new items on and hope that has eliminated any possibility of problems that the OEM parts could have created. OEM parts were working fine, just doing some preventative maintenance.

My 09 R1200GS has just over 27,000 miles and I said what the heck, let's try some quality after market shocks. I decided on the Ohlins TTX after talking with some fellow members of BMWBMW and doing some of my own research.

Now as for the shock replacement, that was a bit more complicated. I had ESA shocks on the bike and they worked fine, but all my research on improving a bike's performance said start with the suspension. And I plan to keep this bike for quite awhile. Removing the front ESA shock was a bit time consuming, but I was going slow and making sure I didn't jack anything up. And out it came. New Ohlins front went in fairly easy but did have to remove the alternator belt cover for the needed clearance. Rear shock came out much easier then the front. Installing the rear Ohlins went well, had a bit of a time getting the bottom spacer into the swing arm, didn't think it was going to fit but it did. There are a couple online articles on how to do this procedure which I read before and during this procedure which REALLY helped (Thanks Jim).

OK, so the whole bike is back together, except for the side panels. I start the bike and check for any fuel leaks and there were none. GOOD. Put the remaining side panels on. Now to tune the suspension. The shocks came with a manual on how to adjust them and I used the Total Control book from Lee Parks. Armed with that knowledge I was able to properly adjust the preload, and set the rebound and compression to the factory recommended starting point. Took the bike for a test ride on some twisty roads around Clifton and ended up reducing both rebound and compression on both front and rear as things felt a touch harsh for me.

Got home checked all the nuts and bolts, went for another short test ride and all feels good. Front end doesn't dive like the OEM shocks did during braking, I have a nice well planted feel. I was most impressed when I went down a dirt road as the Ohlins were able to better suck up the bumps, really smoothed out the ride. So all in all I'm pleased. Now these Ohlins COST some money :shock: was it worth? I believe time will tell. No doubt they are better and still half the price of OEM ESA units. And are rebuild able. So after reviewing what I just typed, yes they were worth it.

And the "ESA system" didn't have a fit with the ESA shocks gone, NO AMBER Triangle, thank goodness.

Took my time, got it done, and learned a lot. At this point I would like to thank my wife for all the help she provided during this installation! She was there whenever I needed her, and was essential when tuning the preload. THANKS Shannon!

Now what the heck do I do with these ESA shocks?

Time to ride,
Greg
2021 CB500X
Janitor
Undercover Logger

Re: Replaced my OEM ESA shocks with Ohlins TTX

Postby Chiba » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Awesome! If you'd like to do an in-depth write up for BTS just say so!

IMBWR or ADV I think would be a good place to sell off your stock parts.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby sati8d » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Nice write-up - now put those in a box and save them for the day you sell or trade in. That's what was told to me when I went with all my upgrades (I've got Wilbers on the rear and Yacugar on the front)- so I have a box of all the OEM stuff to put back on when I move the bike, - me too - not anytime soon - also a 09 GS- but Adventure.
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby rickrwh » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:04 pm

FAIL FAIL FAIL with NO PICTURES!!

:blahblah:
Professional instigator :D
rickrwh
Frequent Poster

Postby RJP3579 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:35 am

Did you consider the Ohlins ESA replacement units or was the price prohibitive? Where did you get your Ohlins from and was their price fair/competetive?
Rick :rider:
RJP3579
Are you not entertained?

Postby ERC Scott » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am

Congrats! I've found suspension improvements to be the best bang for $ spent on my bikes. I really, really wish that BWM had an option to factory install Ohlins, Wilbers, WP or other high quality, fully adjustable shocks on new-built bikes. I don't understand why the factory doesn't include better and more durable (long-lived) suspension components.

I also second the idea of holding on to the stock ESA shocks for reinstall when you send the Ohlins out for rebuild. With 27K on the shocks there won't be much of a market for them, but you can use them to keep rolling when the Ohlins are out. Also, you could do an ESA reinstall for bike sale/trade-in and sell the Ohlins, which should have a pretty good used price. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Janitor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:38 pm

RJP3579 wrote:Did you consider the Ohlins ESA replacement units or was the price prohibitive? Where did you get your Ohlins from and was their price fair/competetive?

Ohlins ESA was quite price prohibitive, not to mention for the most part I set the suspension and forget it. Only increased rear preload when loaded up.

I got the shocks from http://ohlinspro.com/ , they beat everybody's price by far.
2021 CB500X
Janitor
Undercover Logger

Postby RJP3579 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Janitor wrote:
RJP3579 wrote:Did you consider the Ohlins ESA replacement units or was the price prohibitive? Where did you get your Ohlins from and was their price fair/competetive?

Ohlins ESA was quite price prohibitive, not to mention for the most part I set the suspension and forget it. Only increased rear preload when loaded up.

I got the shocks from http://ohlinspro.com/ , they beat everybody's price by far.

Thanks...
Rick :rider:
RJP3579
Are you not entertained?

Return to Tech