Brake Pads 07 K1200GT (new body)

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Brake Pads 07 K1200GT (new body)

Postby fluidj » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:08 am

So my wear indicator finally tells me I need new pads. Indeed it's accurate....The interior pads are worn lower than the exterior, but both are pretty low.
$90 for the left set & $125 for the right set with the cable.
To save some coin, I decided to go with the OEM $125 set with the cable on the right side, but chose $39 EBC set for the left side.
I should be ok....right??
*currently motorcycleless*
fluidj
Board Wizard

Re: Brake Pads 07 K1200GT (new body)

Postby biometrics » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 pm

I am sure you will stop using that configuration, but how well you will stop is the question here... :oops:

...IMHO I think that when you have two calipers on the front end that the stopping power needs to be matched on both sides of the front wheel by using matched components, otherwise you will likely pull to one side or the other when you are stopping because the friction ability of the pads on each side are not the same.

I would have used the less expensive EBC components on both sides...this time, and see how they stop, and how they wear... if satisfactory, there is no reason to pay the price for OEM components... If they turn out that they wear too fast, then buy better components next time... but that's just me... :shock:
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Postby fluidj » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:23 pm

biometrics wrote:I am sure you will stop using that configuration, but how well you will stop is the question here... :oops:

...IMHO I think that when you have two calipers on the front end that the stopping power needs to be matched on both sides of the front wheel by using matched components, otherwise you will likely pull to one side or the other when you are stopping because the friction ability of the pads on each side are not the same.

I would have used the less expensive EBC components on both sides...this time, and see how they stop, and how they wear... if satisfactory, there is no reason to pay the price for OEM components... If they turn out that they wear too fast, then buy better components next time... but that's just me... :shock:

That's kinda what I was thinking....
The primary reason for doing 1/2 & 1/2 like that is that I DO want to retain the brake pad wear sensor feature of the OEM pads. Once the wire has worn through and signaled that it's time to replace pads, the wire must be replaced along with the pads. So that's the primary reason the OEM pads for the right side are more expensive. I guess if push comes to shove and I notice odd performance I'll just grab a set of EBC's for the right side too and just keep the wire. All in i'll still be $10 ahead :?
what's the saying....penny wise and pound foolish?? :lol:
fluidj
Board Wizard

Postby Georgeinva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:57 pm

biometrics wrote:...IMHO I think that when you have two calipers on the front end that the stopping power needs to be matched on both sides of the front wheel by using matched components, otherwise you will likely pull to one side or the other when you are stopping because the friction ability of the pads on each side are not the same.

BY that logic bikes with single discs upfront should turn under braking, same for rear disc bikes. The only effect of running different pads left and right is different rates of wear. Aftermarket pads with a holder is are available however I have yet to find the sensor.
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Postby fluidj » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:12 am

Georgeinva wrote:
biometrics wrote:...IMHO I think that when you have two calipers on the front end that the stopping power needs to be matched on both sides of the front wheel by using matched components, otherwise you will likely pull to one side or the other when you are stopping because the friction ability of the pads on each side are not the same.

BY that logic bikes with single discs upfront should turn under braking, same for rear disc bikes. The only effect of running different pads left and right is different rates of wear. Aftermarket pads with a holder is are available however I have yet to find the sensor.

And there's this too....
EBCs does make a pad with a notch/holder for the sensor wire.
The problem is that BMW doesn't sell the wire separately.

There's only a single hydrolic line supplying pressure to both front calipers right?
fluidj
Board Wizard

Return to Tech