road salt and corrosion on GSA

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

road salt and corrosion on GSA

Postby grownup » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Does anyone here ride their GSA all year round ? I am particularly interested in corrosion.
What areas of the GSA are the most susceptible to corrosion when riding on roads with salt dust ?

What else should I be doing to prevent salt dust from getting into things and creating damage ?

Here is what I have done so far:
1. sprayed exposed screws with a waxy marine propellant that is supposed to prevent corrosion.
2. rinse off bike with cold water in the evening.
3. put on an extended front fender and a mudslinger rear.

Am I missing anything ? What parts do I need to worry about getting corroded from salt dust ?
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
2016 S1000 XR ( 1 BTC Bike )
grownup

Re: road salt and corrosion on GSA

Postby STATMATT » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:19 am

I have the same kinds of questions. I rode through last winter and didn't think to treat anything. I have little corrosion spots on my exhaust and some of the pipes. I've tried to clean them with simple green, but haven't had much luck. We have the hose bibs winterized at the house so rinsing with cold water at the end of the day isn't really a workable solution for me. My super wishlist is one of those power steamers that those care detail places use. I used one at my uncles house in CO and it was phenominal except he paid about 4K for it. But this is an interesting question for those of us that ride year round.

STATMATT
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Postby ERC Scott » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:01 pm

I haven't used it, but friends report good results with a liberal application of Boeshield T9 (airline industry product). I suspect most GSers look at a little corrosion as road "patina" :lol: Couldn't hurt to call the parts guys at one of the dealers and ask for their advice. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby '05Train » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Late to the party, but I use a product called "Salt Away". You can get it at boating stores (I get mine at West Marine). Wash the bike normally to get the heavy crud off, then spray this stuff on. I've only used it this one season, but the bike looks unblemished by the corrosives.
'05Train

Postby sati8d » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:22 am

Interesting. I ride everyday unless predicted icy conditions. My pipes are very pitted in 2 winters, to the point that I'm using this as an excuse to get stainless headers. I'm also a boat captain and it never even occurred to me to protect for salt like I do on a boat...great suggestion!
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby Genen8kua » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:05 am

sati8d wrote:Interesting. I ride everyday unless predicted icy conditions. My pipes are very pitted in 2 winters, to the point that I'm using this as an excuse to get stainless headers. I'm also a boat captain and it never even occurred to me to protect for salt like I do on a boat...great suggestion!

Actually, I think you already have stainless pipes. They still discolor from the heat and aren't immune to pitting. Some have gone the ceramic coating route.

Guess we need to keep our GSs purdy. :purdy:
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Return to Tech