MD Inspection Requirements for historic bikes?

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

MD Inspection Requirements for historic bikes?

Postby Aether » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm going back and forth a bit on a potential purchase of another vintage (mid 60s) bike and the seller insists that MD doesn't require safety inspection certificates for registering historic bikes. My impression has been that *all* bikes of any age require the safety inspection, but depending on vintage, requirements are less stringent (i.e. pre-70s bikes don't require turn signals). I can't find anything on the MVA site to say definitively either way. Can anyone out there confirm?

-A
-Adam

2014 Triumph Street Triple R (3 Cylinder LandJet)
1976 BMW R75/6 (2 cylinder/2 wheel fun)
1966 BMW R60/2 - R75 Conversion w/ Sidecar (2 cylinder/3 wheel fun)
Aether
Board Guru

Re: MD Inspection Requirements for historic bikes?

Postby henwin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Aether wrote:I'm going back and forth a bit on a potential purchase of another vintage (mid 60s) bike and the seller insists that MD doesn't require safety inspection certificates for registering historic bikes. My impression has been that *all* bikes of any age require the safety inspection, but depending on vintage, requirements are less stringent (i.e. pre-70s bikes don't require turn signals). I can't find anything on the MVA site to say definitively either way. Can anyone out there confirm? -A

Not everything regarding the MVA is on their web site. The smart things to do are:

1. don't believe the seller unless he/she has it written on an official document,
2. call the MVA and ask. If you're in MD, 800-950 1682. If you're not in MD, try 301 729 4550.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Not sure about MD, but I know that in Va the inspection really just covers the stuff you'd want to have in working condition if you were going to actually ride the damn thing! Working Brakes, lights, horn, decent tires and minimal oil leakage, all seem pretty essential to me!
but, yeah contact the DMV and don't put too much faith in the sellers claims.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby redman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Adam,

Quote from MD DMV:
"Note:  A Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate is not required to register this vehicle."

Vintage do not need inspection in MD.
What RM says is on point

MD has strict rules about when and where you can drive Vintage.

If you are worried about the bike take someone with you who knows them and or take it in for a pre-purchase inspection.
redman
Board Guru

Postby RocketMan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:12 pm

redman wrote:Adam,

Quote from MD DMV:
"Note:  A Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate is not required to register this vehicle."

Vintage do not need inspection in MD.
What RM says is on point

MD has strict rules about when and where you can drive Vintage.

If you are worried about the bike take someone with you who knows them and or take it in for a pre-purchase inspection.

Va also has restriction on vintage/historic which is why I get regular tags for my 78 airhead, being new/reliable enough to be a daily ride (which it was for most years I have owned it) I didn't want to be restricted to just rides to "events" or no more than 200 miles from home. Insurance is a bit more and tags a few bucks more, but in the end well worth it. Now for anything old than a /5, or something for occasional riding, yeah I'd go with vintage tags and not have to worry about inspections so much, but again I'd still want the basics to function (unlike a certain side-car rig I recently rode!) so it wouldn't be a big issue is it was even needed.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby shelion » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:26 pm

No safety inspection required.

If you plan on riding the bike much, you may want to reconsider historic plates though.

From the MVA website:

A historic registered vehicle cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses.

Note: A Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate is not required to register this vehicle.

More info here
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake him off.

2010 F650GS
shelion
Fire Goddess

Postby Aether » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks folks. I scoured the website and missed that one line. Need to check the eyes...

As for calling the MVA - I gave up on ever actually reaching a human being on the phone there a loooong time ago. On several occasions over the span of several years I spent way too much time waiting in vain for signs of life on the other end of the phone.
-Adam

2014 Triumph Street Triple R (3 Cylinder LandJet)
1976 BMW R75/6 (2 cylinder/2 wheel fun)
1966 BMW R60/2 - R75 Conversion w/ Sidecar (2 cylinder/3 wheel fun)
Aether
Board Guru

Postby Genen8kua » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:43 pm

shelion wrote:No safety inspection required.

If you plan on riding the bike much, you may want to reconsider historic plates though.

From the MVA website:

A historic registered vehicle cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses.

Note: A Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate is not required to register this vehicle.

More info here

Club activities: like the annual mileage contest, the "I've Been Everywhere" contest, maybe Ron's Saddle Sore? :twisted:
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby guitardad » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Yep, I have Historic tags on Hans (my '79 R65). No inspection required.
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Return to General Chat