North to Alaska- Inside Passage Part One

Tell Us About Your Rides!

North to Alaska- Inside Passage Part One

Postby RocketMan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:16 am

So here’s a teaser of our trip to Alaska in pictures, what an incredible landscape, words like spectacular, stunning etc, fall so short of the grandeur that its mostly useless even trying to put it words, this is truly an area that has to be seen in person. Pictures come in a decent second but simply can’t replace first hand viewing. I was glued to the windows *when the wind picked up and it got chilly) or the open areas of the ship and our cabins balcony all day long. Took nearly a 1000 photos that day since I was bracketing everything. Unfortunately some of the HDR photos didn’t register well due to ship movement and my not wanting to pack a tripod since we were flying out so some will have to get redone as single images, oh well…..Oh and on the flight out the members of the band Joan Jet. I thought it interesting that She flew in First class and the band flew in couch!
This is sort of out of order since we spend a day in Seattle first (which in itself was nice to explore) but since Alaska and the Inside Passage was the main reason for the visit and most spectacular of all that we saw I decided to start here first.
As an interesting side note we only saw two motorcycles while in Alaska (beside the rental ones in Ketchikan), both BMW GS’s one a boxer and one F bike. The boxer looked like it was fitted for some serious traveling, note the second set of tires for pavement. Both were in Skagway, which makes sense since of the three towns we visited it was the only one that can be reached by road from the outside. Both Juneau and Ketchikan can only be reached by water or air, no roads in or out. Ketchikan has only 35 miles of roadway in the entire town. On the main highway along the coast in Juneau there is a sign at one end that says “This is the end of the road”. At the other end there is a sign that says
“This is the Other end” Ha Ha!

Link to all the pictures sorted by area….
http://roadrunes.com/photo/v/Alaska/
if you click on one of the four sections then the little icon of the screen in the upper left after going into each gallery it will start a slideshow with options for sizing and timing of photos.

Panorama of the Olympic National Park on the way of out of Seattle on the first day of our trip to Alaska
http://roadrunes.com/photo/main.php?g2_view=panorama.Panorama&g2_itemId=69169

glacier at end of fjord we traveled the second day, sadly we couldn't get as close as we would have liked due to all the icebergs near the base of the glacier. There has been a lot of melting and receding of them the past years as was evident from the bare rock faces near the terminator as explained by the nature expert on board the ship. It seems that due to the fact this is in a rain forest area, moss grows quickly and within a year to two any exposed rock faces is overgrown with it. The fact that there is so much bare rock attests to the high rate of recession of the glacier. We saw evidence of this at all three we visited. Sad news indeed.
Note that these pic only show the tip of the glacier and that it extends some 15 mile back behind where the glacier bends around and is hidden from view as seen in these images and is I forget how many hundreds or thousands of feet thick at its deepest.

first sighting

and tons of cool jagged edged peaks rising thousands of feet literally straight up from the narrow fjord that was carved by the glaciers of the last major ice age.

another glacier as we steamed up the fjord

we saw I don’t know how many waterfalls/water courses during our trip… many thousands of feet high

and many really interesting rock faces

note the water really was this deep blue-green color the day we sailed the fjord due to the plentiful sunshine (the only day we had any to speak of!)

lots of iceburgs, and again they really were this color due to the ice being so compacted

and yes, I put that ice rock there just for this photo! (damn that water was cold!)

next up some pics from Seattle Center in the area where we stayed overnight before boarding the ship. We stayed in very nice old hotel near the Space Needle which we went up since we had a half day to explore as well as wonder around some of the neighborhood near the hotel.
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: North to Alaska- Inside Passage Part One

Postby tuhughes » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Alaska really is something else... I'm looking forward to the rest of your pictures! =D>
Tucker

Bikeless, for now...
tuhughes

Postby redman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Rocket,

Man sounds like you enjoyed the trip. Am super glad for you all!
Great pictures, keep up the good work.

Alaska has many wild wonders to experience.

Take care and glad you made it there and back safe.
redman
Board Guru

Postby Slider » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Safe travels & smooth riding!

Great pics, glad to see Alaska hasn't changed since I was last there!
Slider
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Wow--great place, great photos!

Thanks for posting, and I'll look forward to more.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Flash! » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Oh, I'm so jealous!! Despite hating cold, I do love Alaska, and am looking forward to more pictures.

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Slider » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Let's make it a club ride!
Slider
Board Guru

Return to Ride Stories