Running from Irene!

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Running from Irene!

Postby R4R&R » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:58 am

A few weeks ago I was supposed to go to OBX from Thursday to Sunday, but Irene kind of wrecked those plans. Since I had the time off and needed a break from work, I figured I would "head west" a little while on the bike, and eventually turn left and make a loop back. It was my 'hurricane avoidance' plan.

As Friday morning came around, I was planning to get to Ohio, possibly Columbus. Wait...Iron Pony(an incredible motorcycle SUPER store; worth a visit if you are anywhere near the area. Hell, it's worth a ride just to go there!) is in Columbus...and I need a new helmet. One destination was set! I have a riding buddy in Columbus too which offered me a free place to stay so off I went. Forget the interstates; I'm shooting across West Virginia for the scenic route - well worth it. I started with the typical I-66 to US55 on the other side of Front Royal, and took that out to Moorefield/Seneca Rocks, then stayed on US33 onto Elkins and eventually ended up in Weston. I had lunch at some small diner and kept moving. I stayed on US33 until Linn and took US47 towards Parkersburg. 47 is a great road; not a lot of elevation changes but plenty of turns to keep it fun. Being a Friday with most kids already back in school, the roads were empty. The only thing restraining my speed was the views and small towns (ultimately the desire to keep my license too). After getting through Parkersburg, I aimed towards Newark, OH where my friend lives. I took more "efficient" roads as the sun was getting lower in the sky. No problem, I had a satisfying day so far. I met my buddy at the BBQ joint near his house, City Barbeque- pretty good barbeque in the Columbus area; also worth a visit, while you're visiting Iron Pony... I grabbed some eats from City BBQ and got to Jeff's house. All in a good day's riding! We went out to the Beverage Factory for some beers and called it an early night (around mid-night...)

I'm approaching 100,000 miles on this bike and thought it would be cool to get a picture of a cool number on the bike. I did a little math (I had to take a break after that), and reset my teip odometer at the right time; I almost missed it and the whole opportunity would've been blown at that point.

Saturday morning we took our time and eventually got out to Iron Pony around 10:00am. That place is the size of a Wal-Mart and ALL MOTORCYCLE! It's nice to see all brands respresented there, and talk bikes with everyone around there - not brand specific! You can tell most of the employees ride. A lot. I got a deal on a new Scorpion helmet on closeout (last year's design - $60!!!) and picked up some other odd-n-ends while I was there (new tankbag and stuff to put in it for the rest of my trip). While I was putting my tankbag on, it was good to talk to other motorcyclists as they passed by. Some of them noticed the Virginia license plate and were surprised. Eventually I had to cut them off and leave or I'd never get to me next destination. I got out of there around noon, and aimed towards New River gorge. I figured I'll take more back roads and find a place to stay in Fayetteville or Summersville.

Leaving Columbus, I took US33 down across the Ohio river back into West Virginia, and stopped briefly in Pomeroy for gas/food/bladder break. Got back on the road but watching the odometer; I'm getting close to my photo op. Focus...focus...I hit the miles and pulled over and snapped this photo:

I've seen other people post their "cool odometer" pictures, and finally got my own! Anyone see the pattern there? Within the next few weeks I'll have over 100k miles on this bike, and they've all been part of the therapy I call motorcycling...

I roll on to Charleston, WV, and take US60 up through gauley river gorge - great views! I didn't like the looks of the motels in Fayetteville, so I moved onto Summersville and found a decent-looking inexpensive motel and checked in. Went right back out and grabbed a good steak dinner up the road, and some beers to have back at the motel. Another great day of riding!

Sunday morning I took my time getting out but was still on the road by 9:00am and took US39 back through Marlinton and grabbed a snack. I love Marlinton; I'm planning on going to the "Bridge Day" events this year, and will most likely stay in Marlinton. After Marlinton, I stayed on 39 a little longer then headed north on 92, then 84 to end up on US220. All great roads (you gotta love those WV roads!). I got to Franklin and had lunch; homemade fried chicken at some mom&pop place. I haven't had chicken like that since my grandmother made it but I'm sure it aided in clogging my arteries ...

From Franklin, I took good 'ol US33 east; always entertaining. At this point of my day I'm realizing that I haven't been "stuck" behind any cars on all of these great roads. I have an alternate route from 33 to avoid Harrisonburg, which is taking cr613 up through Singer Glen, and work my way towards Timberville. Typically I'll take US211, which this day I did too. I came upon two R1200S riders while working my way up the western pass; passed them and had an uneventful rest of my ride home.

This was a great weekend, and I never saw any sign of a hurricane (sorry Irene!). Rain was never seen, and I think for a brief period, I experienced 'cloudy skies'/didn't see the sun. Great weekend, and I managed to put on just over 1100 miles when it was all done. Sorry about the lack of pictures; I'm going to try to make an effort to take more pictures on my rides.
'17 Triumph Explorer 1200
'04 R1150R (gone but not forgotten)
('13 Triumph Speed Triple - sons bike)
Itchin' for a ride
R4R&R
GO COWBOYS!

Re: Running from Irene!

Postby Chiba » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Very cool picture!!!
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby MrE » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Cool Grosjean number
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Rick F. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:53 am

R4R&R,

Great report of a great ride (and clever thinking on the odo). I've been through a lot of the places you mentioned--some of them just last weekend--but I haven't been to all of them, and they're now on my list...

There's a great B & B in Marlinton that caters to motorcyclists. (The owners ride.) It's the Old Clark Inn. You might give it a try when you go bungee-jumping off the New River Gorge Bridge!

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby R4R&R » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:55 pm

Rick F. wrote:R4R&R,

Great report of a great ride (and clever thinking on the odo). I've been through a lot of the places you mentioned--some of them just last weekend--but I haven't been to all of them, and they're now on my list...

There's a great B & B in Marlinton that caters to motorcyclists. (The owners ride.) It's the Old Clark Inn. You might give it a try when you go bungee-jumping off the New River Gorge Bridge!

Rick

Rick,
I'm sorry my trip reports are nothing like yours; there's no way I can even come close to competing!

I've been through a lot of west va, and love it all. And BTW, I've stayed at the old Clark inn before, and if I end up going to bridge day, I'm planning on staying there again! Oh, they don't allow bungee jumping anymore. It's not safe, so you can only base jump nowadays. I'm planning on keeping my feet on the ground that weekend. Or the pegs.
'17 Triumph Explorer 1200
'04 R1150R (gone but not forgotten)
('13 Triumph Speed Triple - sons bike)
Itchin' for a ride
R4R&R
GO COWBOYS!

Return to Ride Stories