EZ Pass On The Go (You can pay cash for it)

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

EZ Pass On The Go (You can pay cash for it)

Postby sundaeman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:30 pm

I just found out you can get a cash & carry EZ Pass at certain retail locations.

http://www.ezpassonthego.com/index.php
2006 R1200RT-P

"Who is John Galt?"
sundaeman
Unhappily Ranked

Re: EZ Pass On The Go (You can pay cash for it)

Postby Black Wing » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Nice, thanks for the heads up. I was just down in VA on the bike over the weekend and opted not to take the toll road cause it's such a pain to deal with gloves, change blah blah. Turns out, a retailer carries one of these EZ pass do-hickeys less than a few miles from home.
Black Wing

Postby Meza44 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 pm

I haven't read the article but the headline looked intersting

http://autos.aol.com/article/e-zpass-privacy-invasion/

Chris
Chris Meza
'85 R80/7
'99 Funduro (RIP)
Meza44
Frequent Poster

Postby Black Wing » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Meza44 wrote:I haven't read the article but the headline looked intersting

Chris

It's worth a read. Probably no reason to cry murder yet, but always good to be aware of possibilities.

<rant>
I'd like to believe one day (before it's too late), We the People will realize that if we want our government to serve our needs (as oppose to our conforming to their ideals... which ironically should be our ideals but usually aren't), we'll have to make an effort to elect the right people into office. It seems we, as Americans, forget from election to election who did what and why. We don't hold them accountable, they get back into office and begin to stray far enough away from their campaign promises that the agenda has become their agenda and not ours.

Ultimately, they begin to do things that we don't want them to... which should never be the case since we're the ones who put them there in the first place. :D
</rant>

I know it's not really that simple, but some days when G. Orwell is tapping me on the shoulder, it feels like it should be.
Black Wing

Postby radon222 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Meza44 wrote:I haven't read the article but the headline looked intersting

Chris

This definitely not the first time this has been brought up. Next time you head up the NJ Turnpike, look closely at the overhead signs. Many of them have EZ-Pass beacon receivers as well. So you're not just getting logged at entrance/exit, but also periodically along the route.
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:19 pm

Who cares? So long as they are not giving tickets for it, who cars if they track you? They know you are starting somewhere, and ending somewhere, and they need that information to bill you, so who cares? Even before easy pass, and now with cash, they still know when you started, and when you end, so if you speed they know.

Again, who cares?

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby radon222 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Because... They know. They know it all. They track us through our cell phones and our ez-passes. They follow us on video everywhere we go...It's a... It's a.....

'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby tatort » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:35 pm

radon222 wrote: They follow us on video everywhere we go...

Thats the UK, mate, not here (yet)
tatort
Frequent Poster

Postby Chiba » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Wait, what is this thread about again?

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby tatort » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:39 pm

in all seriousness, check out the rates each state charges for the priviledge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass
tatort
Frequent Poster

Postby RockBottom » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:12 am

Black Wing wrote:Nice, thanks for the heads up. I was just down in VA on the bike over the weekend and opted not to take the toll road cause it's such a pain to deal with gloves, change blah blah. Turns out, a retailer carries one of these EZ pass do-hickeys less than a few miles from home.

I fastened rare earth magnets (bought off of Amazon) to the velcro strips on the EZ Pass transponder, so that bad boy pops right on my fuel tank. Of course that depends on having a metal fuel tank. (I also used rare earth magnets to mount my garage door opener on my Ztechnik windscreen bracket).
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby R4R&R » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Black Wing wrote:It's worth a read. Probably no reason to cry murder yet, but always good to be aware of possibilities.

<rant>
I'd like to believe one day (before it's too late), We the People will realize that if we want our government to serve our needs (as oppose to our conforming to their ideals... which ironically should be our ideals but usually aren't), we'll have to make an effort to elect the right people into office. It seems we, as Americans, forget from election to election who did what and why. We don't hold them accountable, they get back into office and begin to stray far enough away from their campaign promises that the agenda has become their agenda and not ours.

Ultimately, they begin to do things that we don't want them to... which should never be the case since we're the ones who put them there in the first place. :D
</rant>

I know it's not really that simple, but some days when G. Orwell is tapping me on the shoulder, it feels like it should be.

It all starts out with the government finding ways to cut costs because afterall, we don't want to raise taxes. So instead of raising toll rates or taxes, they eliminate the need for toll booth operators and use easy pass. More efficient. THEN, they realize they are already collecting other useful information which they can sell, or use in new ways to bring money into the government. This offsets raising taxes from other funded programs. Afterall, we have to eventually pay for things like free healthcare, don't we?
'17 Triumph Explorer 1200
'04 R1150R (gone but not forgotten)
('13 Triumph Speed Triple - sons bike)
Itchin' for a ride
R4R&R
GO COWBOYS!

Postby DiscoPete » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:02 am

R4R&R wrote:
It all starts out with the government finding ways to cut costs because afterall, we don't want to raise taxes. So instead of raising toll rates or taxes, they eliminate the need for toll booth operators and use easy pass. More efficient. THEN, they realize they are already collecting other useful information which they can sell, or use in new ways to bring money into the government. This offsets raising taxes from other funded programs. Afterall, we have to eventually pay for things like free healthcare, don't we?

It's actually worse than that. Excuses like "efficiency" or "cost cutting" or whatever are no longer needed.
Since 9/11 the Government doesn't need any justification other than "National Security" to collect information on the citizenry. It seems that a warrent is no longer needed by the Feds to do whatever snooping they care to do. The Bill of Rights has become a list of conditional privileges. With modern computer technology it is easy to store information on anybody and then pull up the files with a few key strokes.

Anyone who thought that Obama was going to correct the abuses of the Bush/Cheney "Unitary Executive" has been disappointed. Obama has instead embraced the Bush/Cheney view and extended it.

Welcome to the National Security State, a.k.a "The Homeland".
Last edited by DiscoPete on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Pete
DiscoPete
Board Guru

Postby DiscoPete » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:27 am

R4R&R wrote:It all starts out with the government finding ways to cut costs because afterall, we don't want to raise taxes. So instead of raising toll rates or taxes, they eliminate the need for toll booth operators and use easy pass. More efficient. THEN, they realize they are already collecting other useful information which they can sell, or use in new ways to bring money into the government. This offsets raising taxes from other funded programs. Afterall, we have to eventually pay for things like free healthcare, don't we?

It's not just the government. Private information can be sold in surprising ways. I bought a CARFAX subscription when I was shopping for used cars. Just for grins, I ran my older car's VIN and found out that Wilkins Subaru in Glen Burnie was giving (probably selling) my information to CARFAX. I expect to see accident reports and other public records in CARFAX, but I didn't expect to see my car maintenance records there. Those should have been private transactions between me and Wilkins Subaru.

Seems like they should have offered me a discount for the use of my information but they didn't mention it, let alone ask permission.
-Pete
DiscoPete
Board Guru

Return to General Chat