Flashing ABS light again!!!

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Flashing ABS light again!!!

Postby thechainreaction » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Last year I had a flashing abs light on my 1997 R1100RT, after owning her for a year. I installed a new battery from beemer boneyard and things were fine for the year. After storing for the bike for the winter I now have the flashing ABS lights again, the bike was on a brand new BMW battery tender and stored in my garage all winter. During the last tech day I attended we checked the alternator to be sure it was putting out enough juice and it was. I am going to pull the side panel and put a meter between the negative cable and the battery cable to see if there is anything drawing power with the bike turned off today or tommorrow. Anyone have any other ideas??
Thanks Bill T #-o
1997 R1100RT
1969 Triumph Bonniville
1976 Honda 360T
thechainreaction

Re: Flashing ABS light again!!!

Postby Chiba » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 am

You should be able to do a reset on the ABS fairly easily ( http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html ). That could take care of it, but then again, maybe not. Maybe make sure the negative battery cable is tight - not on the battery end, but the OTHER end of it.

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby thechainreaction » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Hello Chiba, Thanks for the link I just did the reset and it worked, we will see. Is it common to have to do this at the begining of the year after sitting over the winter? I have placed the piece of wire in my tool kit just in case. Thanks hopefully that will do it. Bill T
1997 R1100RT
1969 Triumph Bonniville
1976 Honda 360T
thechainreaction

Postby Chiba » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm really glad that fix worked for you.

I don't know about "common", but certainly not unheard of. I think it has something to do with the start-up sequence & where the ABS is in that. If the battery's not 100%, then it can cause ABS faults, something along that line. I wish I knew more specifically - JVB explained it to me once & the details have been lost in the recesses of my mind :)

--chiba
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby thechainreaction » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:34 pm

Well it lasted for a day or two. I did not use my battery tender for the last two days and on the way home today the flashing lights from hell are back :evil: I have looked at the negative wires leaving the battery and they seem to disapear below the battery box. Can you give me an idea as to where I shold look for the other end to check the connections? This is still new to me . Thanks
1997 R1100RT
1969 Triumph Bonniville
1976 Honda 360T
thechainreaction

Postby Chiba » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:40 am

Out of my range of experience... sorry I can't be of more help! There's some other folks around here that know way more about the electronics of these things than I do though...

--chiba
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Genen8kua » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:11 am

Bill, sorry it didn't just go away - was worth a try.

Go reread the link on Anton's page and see if you can follow the procedure to determine the fault code. You'll need either a 12 V LED or an old fashioned analog (actual meter with needle) to do that but takes no more skill than doing the reset you already did. Other clues: if the two lights flash simultaneously with ignition on and the fault (alternate blinks) develops when you crank the engine it's almost certainly a low voltage fault. If your connections to the battery are clean and tight, it's probably the battery. If the fault started after you were riding, it's probably something else. Start with the codes and it will save you some effort.
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Farmer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:54 pm

If the fault starts when you first start rolling, when it would normally shut off, I had this fault repeatedly a couple years ago on a trip down the Blue Ridge. I was with 2 buddies on Harleys, and they were wearing much less clothing, as a result I was always in a hurry to get going. The fault occurred almost every time when we pulled out. Starting the bike puts a major draw on the battery but so does the brake light. When I thought about what I was doing I realized I was always quickly starting the bike while holding the front brake and quickly pulling out. I finally started taking my time and would start the bike, not hold the brake, and keep the RPMs up slightly to get a charge back to the battery for a few seconds, (maybe 15) before starting out, and the problem went away. I have made this a part of my normal start sequence and since then I have not had to reset the ABS light.
Farmer

Postby thechainreaction » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks I will give that a try.
1997 R1100RT
1969 Triumph Bonniville
1976 Honda 360T
thechainreaction

Return to Tech