November Tech Day, 20th, Vienna, VA

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Re: Newbie question...

Postby Maria V » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 am

Georgeinva wrote:
jacco wrote:. My 2000 R1100R (59k miles) needs a transmission input shaft spline lube Would this be a reasonable job for an upcoming Tech day? It would take a 'real mechanic' 6-8 hours,

More that just the time factor, is the what if. I would hate get get into in and find you need a new clutch plate or have worn splines.
As for a real mechanic taking 6-8 hours on an R11R that is a bit much. I have done several, if nothing goes wrong its around 4 hours, 6 is the "every bolt I touched" end of the scale.

The man knows of which he speaks. UNfortunately I did too. :lol:
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Re: November Tech Day, 20th, Vienna, VA

Postby gastone » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:44 am

eap wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
gastone wrote:Jim,

I'll need a hand flushing my whizzy brakes. You game?

Bring it on, easy one!

Jim :brow
Hey, I might even be able to help with that, I just had thorough lesson at the last Tech Day :? (Flush the longest brake line first...)

And Jim, I may finally install the cam chain tensioner that's been sitting in my tank bag for so long - will need mentoring mostly in disassembly and any tricks...

Ed,

any help/guidance would be great. You're an old pro at the brake flush/bleed, no?
Garrett

2007 G650xChallenge
gastone

Postby eap » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:12 am

gastone wrote:
eap wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
gastone wrote:Jim,

I'll need a hand flushing my whizzy brakes. You game?

Bring it on, easy one!

Hey, I might even be able to help with that, I just had thorough lesson at the last Tech Day :? (Flush the longest brake line first...)

And Jim, I may finally install the cam chain tensioner that's been sitting in my tank bag for so long - will need mentoring mostly in disassembly and any tricks...

Ed,

any help/guidance would be great. You're an old pro at the brake flush/bleed, no?
JVB is the pro - I just muddled through the process recently and didn't spill to much or get any fluid on the paint :roll: ... as you know... but your bike is different, so we'll need the oversight that Jim offered.... :)
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Re: Newbie question...

Postby jacco » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:46 am

Georgeinva wrote:
jacco wrote:. My 2000 R1100R (59k miles) needs a transmission input shaft spline lube Would this be a reasonable job for an upcoming Tech day? It would take a 'real mechanic' 6-8 hours,

More that just the time factor, is the what if. I would hate get get into in and find you need a new clutch plate or have worn splines.
As for a real mechanic taking 6-8 hours on an R11R that is a bit much. I have done several, if nothing goes wrong its around 4 hours, 6 is the "every bolt I touched" end of the scale.

Hi Georgeinva. That's a very good point, it is an 11-yo bike after all. Depending on the level of clutch wear it might make sense to replace the clutch plate even if it's not fully worn, and who knows what else might be found. I'll not bore everyone with detailed questions to you specifically, so I'll PM you. Cheers, Jacco
jacco

Postby adooley » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:23 am

Hello JIm. I am planning on attending as well. I may need a little guidance from you or anyone else there on doing my first valve adjustment and throttle body sync. Hey EAP, if you would like some assistance on the chain tensioner upgrade, I just did mine two months ago on my 1150rtp. It doesn't take long. :D
adooley

Postby radon222 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:52 am

Hey Jim,

I'm bringing the discussion about trying to track down what might be draining my battery over here instead of mucking ups Marks sale thread. Anyway I do plan on attending next Saturday with two projects. 1) Install of a Remus slip-on and 2) Installing a Centech AP1 to clean-up my battery terminals. That alone might help my battery drain issue.

I've also invited a buddy (another GS rider Tina :blahblah: ) to come and meet the club and see what a Tech Day is all about.

Ed
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:41 am

radon222 wrote:Hey Jim,

I'm bringing the discussion about trying to track down what might be draining my battery over here instead of mucking ups Marks sale thread. Anyway I do plan on attending next Saturday with two projects. 1) Install of a Remus slip-on and 2) Installing a Centech AP1 to clean-up my battery terminals. That alone might help my battery drain issue.

I've also invited a buddy (another GS rider Tina :blahblah: ) to come and meet the club and see what a Tech Day is all about.

Ed

Sounds good Ed!

adooley, no problem.

JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby endobobdds » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Thanks Jim for once again hosting another BMWBMW Tech Day! I plan on attending.

Does Chicago BMW still sell OEM parts at discount?
Bob Smyth
'18 GSA, Triple Black
'04 K1200RS (Blue/White)
'02 K1200RS (Black - retired :cry: )
endobobdds
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:37 am

endobobdds wrote:Thanks Jim for once again hosting another BMWBMW Tech Day! I plan on attending.

Does Chicago BMW still sell OEM parts at discount?

Yes, or Max BMW.

See you then Bob.

JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Va ntcptr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:20 am

I plan on attending,don't need any work done but would like to meet some of the members.

Lesly
Va ntcptr

Postby gastone » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:29 am

eap wrote:JVB is the pro - I just muddled through the process recently and didn't spill to much or get any fluid on the paint :roll: ... as you know... but your bike is different, so we'll need the oversight that Jim offered.... :)

I saw you work the pump. Muddled... I think not.
Garrett

2007 G650xChallenge
gastone

Postby PMCallahan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:57 am

hey Lesly;

Great to see you posting here! I wasn't planning on attending this Tech Day, but maybe I'll have to reconsider if you are stopping by -- I'd like to see the RT! I'm not sure I can swing the time this Saturday as I'm in last minute prep for one son's homecoming and the other son's deployment, but I'll give it some thought. If not, I know you'll meet some good folks and find this club is a great resource.

All the best to ya man!
PMCallahan

Postby Maria V » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:00 am

Va ntcptr wrote:I plan on attending,don't need any work done but would like to meet some of the members.

Lesly

Welcome! This is a great chance to meet other members.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Va ntcptr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:44 am

PMCallahan wrote:hey Lesly;

Great to see you posting here! I wasn't planning on attending this Tech Day, but maybe I'll have to reconsider if you are stopping by -- I'd like to see the RT! I'm not sure I can swing the time this Saturday as I'm in last minute prep for one son's homecoming and the other son's deployment, but I'll give it some thought. If not, I know you'll meet some good folks and find this club is a great resource.

All the best to ya man!

Hey Patrick if you can't make it we can always schedule a run to Marshall's Diner.The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend so I am really looking forward to getting out.
Va ntcptr

Postby Va ntcptr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:51 am

PMCallahan wrote:hey Lesly;

All the best to ya man!

BTW here's the RT. I have to pay attention to everyone's work so I can do something other than wash mine! :lol:

Va ntcptr

PreviousNext

Return to Tech