Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Re: The Heart of Pennsylvania

Postby Rick F. » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Graybeard wrote:Outstanding! Welcome back!

Larry,

Muchas dankas--it's good to be back. Stay tuned for more...

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby guitardad » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Great story, as always, Rick! Glad you've found a good way to get back onto those back roads. Somehow, I knew those big old buildings were a sanitorium - they reminded me of the old abandoned buildings at Springfield Hospital in Sykesville. Luckily, the county is gradually rehabbing them. I hope the same thing is done at South Mountain.
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby Flash! » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:23 pm

=D> =D> =D> What a joy to have you back, Rick!! I was lamenting your absence just the other day.

I'm sorry to hear of the osteoporosis, but really glad you're enjoying the back roads and sending us pictures once again.

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:38 am

guitardad wrote:Great story, as always, Rick! Glad you've found a good way to get back onto those back roads. Somehow, I knew those big old buildings were a sanitorium - they reminded me of the old abandoned buildings at Springfield Hospital in Sykesville. Luckily, the county is gradually rehabbing them. I hope the same thing is done at South Mountain.

Chaz,

Thanks--I'm glad you enjoyed the write-up. I didn't realize that the Sykesville hospital was abandoned. I'll have to go snooping around there now!

You'd think the South Mountain building would be rehabable (is that a word?)--its sister building is still being used. Unit 2 originally had two indoor swimming pools, a movie theatre, and a number of other amenities in addition to the patient rooms. On the other hand, when I peeked through a window it looked like quite a mess inside and showed signs of possible asbestos:

Of course, fixing up a place like this might be a snap for anyone who can restore vintage BMW airheads!

Flash! wrote:=D> =D> =D> What a joy to have you back, Rick!! I was lamenting your absence just the other day.

I'm sorry to hear of the osteoporosis, but really glad you're enjoying the back roads and sending us pictures once again.

Jody

Jody,

Thanks--it's great to be back, roaming the back roads and looking for interesting flowers to quiz you with! I'll have another installment soon, this time based on Virginia. Ever been to the Barboursville mansion ruins? (I suspect the answer is "yes," but it was a first for me yesterday.)

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Flash! » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:16 pm

In fact I've NOT been there, but look forward to a VA installment of the road tour.

By the way, did you know that two female designers are chiefly responsible for the "masculine swagger" of the interior and exterior of the Z4, per "The Week" magazine? What a great looking car!

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 pm

Flash! wrote:In fact I've NOT been there, but look forward to a VA installment of the road tour.

By the way, did you know that two female designers are chiefly responsible for the "masculine swagger" of the interior and exterior of the Z4, per "The Week" magazine? What a great looking car!

Jody

Jody,

I'll confess that I did not know that. I like the overall shape of the Z4, although the details seem overdone--a result typically attributed to Chris Bangle, the much-maligned chief designer for BMW cars. It is an exciting look, however. And the interior is great. I wonder which aspects qualify as "masculine element"??

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby taraisms » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:26 am

The abandoned large building you came across in Loysville, PA was an orphanage owned by Tressler. They built a new retirement facility in New Bloomfield, PA in the 1970's. It is now The Manor at Perry Village and is a retirement home, but no longer owned by Tressler (now Diakon as it became in a merger). I have worked there for 11 years. The old building has since been (sadly) destroyed. The site is currently used as a garage/repair center which is why you saw the trucks in front during your visit.

Here are some links that may interest you.

http://histclo.com/insti/Orp/us/ind/oui-trss.html
http://www.diakon.org/about-us/historical-overview.aspx
taraisms

Postby Rick F. » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 pm

taraisms wrote:The abandoned large building you came across in Loysville, PA was an orphanage owned by Tressler. They built a new retirement facility in New Bloomfield, PA in the 1970's. It is now The Manor at Perry Village and is a retirement home, but no longer owned by Tressler (now Diakon as it became in a merger). I have worked there for 11 years. The old building has since been (sadly) destroyed. The site is currently used as a garage/repair center which is why you saw the trucks in front during your visit.

Here are some links that may interest you.

http://histclo.com/insti/Orp/us/ind/oui-trss.html
http://www.diakon.org/about-us/historical-overview.aspx

taraisms,

Fantastic! Thank you so much for providing information on the Tressler orphanage. I've often wondered what the building had been used for, and now I know.

I'm sorry that it's since been torn down. I suspected that the trucks and workers might have been there for that purpose, but I was hoping that it was for renovation, not demolition. Well, time marches on.

Your links about the history of the orphanage were quite interesting. It operated for nearly 100 years, and had served as a college prior to the Civil War. At its peak (1944), the facility housed and cared for 350 destitute children.

Thanks again. I love it when a mystery is solved!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Ride Stories